The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   possible front diff problem (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48595)

jman050 01-12-2009 12:00 PM

possible front diff problem

Ive been having a noise that occurs when making turns at slow speeds 0-20mph . its sort of like a creaking click,click, click. I wasnt worried about it origionally because it hasnt been affecting the driving or making the car buck at all. Could this be my front diff going out or something else? also how do I check my front diff fluid?

1986nate 01-12-2009 12:42 PM

Re: possible front diff problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by jman050 (Post 581793)
also how do I check my front diff fluid?

There is a dipstick for the front diffy, Looking from the front of the car it is on the left side of the diff... The dipstick sits pretty much right on top of the differential

bwb3 01-12-2009 12:53 PM

I had that symptom when the front 1/2 axles went bad. Might check for torn rubber boots or leaking.
Gene

jman050 01-12-2009 01:32 PM

id be relieved if it was that and i didnt have to replace the tranny

Wikedjuggalo 01-12-2009 01:39 PM

You know when your front diff is going out when you are driving and you hear a faint sound that turns into what I could only describe as "a baseball card hitting a spoke (card in a bicycle wheel)". You can feel the vibration in the Selector knob.

jman050 01-12-2009 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo (Post 581828)
You know when your front diff is going out when you are driving and you hear a faint sound that turns into what I could only describe as "a baseball card hitting a spoke (card in a bicycle wheel)". You can feel the vibration in the Selector knob.

now this worries me because this is exactly what it sounds like but from what ive read could also be cv joints or axles. doesnt the car buck when the front diff is starting to go??

jman050 01-12-2009 05:27 PM

I dont know if it helps but it happens alot more often during right hand turns than left hand turns

bwb3 01-12-2009 05:42 PM

I bought an SVX with a bad front diff and it was a nasty clunking sound going in a straight line. My first SVX had more of a clicking sound when turning hard. I don't recall the direction but turning one way identified the driver's side. As recommended, I went ahead and replaced both front 1/2 axles.
Gene

Wikedjuggalo 01-12-2009 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jman050 (Post 581889)
now this worries me because this is exactly what it sounds like but from what ive read could also be cv joints or axles. doesnt the car buck when the front diff is starting to go??

If its stright line driving then its the diff, if its only when turning probably not. Could be CV joints. The "bucking" only occurs after the pinnion bearing (I believe that is what it is called) is shot