The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How to Remove the Plastic Wood? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54263)

elemgee 04-21-2010 07:52 PM

How to Remove the Plastic Wood?

Anyone know how to remove ALL of the plastic wood from the dash, console and doors? i know how to remove the radio door and the ashtry, but nothing else. If anyone could provide instructions, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Larry

ensteele 04-21-2010 08:22 PM

Re: How to Remove the Plastic Wood?

Go into the How-To Forum and look in the interior section. :)

elemgee 04-21-2010 09:41 PM

That tells me how to remove the plastic wood around the gauge cluster which is helpful. But I still need to know how to remove it from the center stack, shifter area, and doors.

redlightningsvx 04-22-2010 12:05 AM

The interior trim should just pop off and the door trim is melted to the door clad.

lhopp77 04-22-2010 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlightningsvx (Post 644095)
The interior trim should just pop off and the door trim is melted to the door clad.

Wrong. R-O-N-G. Wrong--on the door trim. It is held in my more screws than you would think possible on one small piece--around 7 or 8 as I recall. All others are really fairly simple if you take it easy except for the cigarette lighter and the climate control. I replace all the dark trim on my 92 with the brighter and more distinct 96 trim. I actually used a complete 96 climate control instead of trying to remove and replace the trim..

Lee

dcarrb 04-22-2010 08:33 AM

Wait... you mean the wood's not real?:D

Dopiest Design Blunder Award: Classy, beautiful, slightly-upscale GT coupe with real leather seats and the crummiest "woodgrain" known to modern man.

dcb

elemgee 04-22-2010 11:53 AM

Thats pretty close to what I plan on doing with my 92. I dont care for the dark wood on the 92. I found a place that does "custom dipping" which seems to provide a more realistic wood finish to the wood plastic trim.

So you've removed your plastic trim- can you give me a quick primer on how to do this? I think I get the doors (remove the door panels and remove all screws holding on the plastic) and gauge cluster (per prior response above) but I still dont know how how to do the center stack and console shift area. Do the plastic panels really just pop off? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhopp77 (Post 644127)
Wrong. R-O-N-G. Wrong--on the door trim. It is held in my more screws than you would think possible on one small piece--around 7 or 8 as I recall. All others are really fairly simple if you take it easy except for the cigarette lighter and the climate control. I replace all the dark trim on my 92 with the brighter and more distinct 96 trim. I actually used a complete 96 climate control instead of trying to remove and replace the trim..

Lee

redlightningsvx 04-22-2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhopp77 (Post 644127)

Lee

Yes it is held in by screws and there are plastic pegs melted flat on the other side. I already removed mine before.
Also the shifter trim should pop off. Just remove the ashtray and lift carefully.

sowise 04-23-2010 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlightningsvx (Post 644167)
Yes it is held in by screws and there are plastic pegs melted flat on the other side. I already removed mine before.
Also the shifter trim should pop off. Just remove the ashtray and lift carefully.

The plastic pegs on mine weren't melted they had a metal clip (on the few that remained intact) that clip is kind of like a tiny washer that pushes on over the plastic peg to secure it. Some clips were really rusted others just missing and some of the pegs were broken as well depending on which door panel I was on. For the clips that were there just some needle nose pliers from the bottom side and lift up should pop the clip. Most of them I was able to pull them up with my finger nails.

svxcess 04-23-2010 07:54 PM

The only part that will not come off without breaking it surrounds the cigarette lighter.

I had the chance to look at the dashboard of a gutted 1992 SVX that was a parts car. The dashboard was completely out and it was easy to see how everything went together.

There is no way to get the plastic panel that surrounds the lighter out of the dash without removing the entire center of the dash. There are 2 screws holding it in, but only one is accessible from the outside. The other has the head of the screw facing the front of the car, but it can't be seen or felt from the ashtray opening.

Some members have just snapped it off (breaking the screw mounts) and used super glue to refasten it. Maybe someone here has a photo of this part showing the mounting points that they could post.