The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   shift issues (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19771)

godspeed94 07-06-2004 08:17 AM

shift issues

I am wondering if this is a major issue? When going from reverse to drive the engine revs up and there is a 3-8 sec delay before it goes into drive.. I read that maybe I should have the band? tightened. true?

Earthworm 07-07-2004 07:48 AM

How's your tranny fluid? Slow shifting like that usually indicates poor flow.

See how much difference there is if you unplug the tranny resistor to force full line pressure.

(I wouldn't recommend leaving it unplugged permanently though)

SEA Sleeper 07-07-2004 04:50 PM

Tranny troubles as well

Hey guys. I have been driving my SVX in 3 rather than D around the city to keep it from shifting down and up constantly. I would only use D on the freeway.

Well now the RPMs rev up for about a second or two and the transmission seems to just not engage like it used to. This is very odd and has not happened before.

I know that the condition of the tranny fluid is very good; I had the tranny flushed and refilled twice in a row. The fluid is brand new.

Any suggestions?

lee 07-07-2004 05:05 PM

If you don't mind, could I suggest you look in my personal locker and download part 1 of the manual, which has some tests for time lag in shifting into R and D and some indication of what trouble it might be.

However, keep in mind I just assembled info from a lot of places trying to work through some issues I had myself, I'm not qualified to make a diagnostic analysis. Mostly its there so when you ask at a tranny shop to inspect, you kinda know what to expect...and maybe even know when to walk out due to excessive BS.

n00b on demand 07-07-2004 05:18 PM

Re: Tranny troubles as well

Quote:

Originally posted by SEA Sleeper
Hey guys. I have been driving my SVX in 3 rather than D around the city to keep it from shifting down and up constantly. I would only use D on the freeway.

Well now the RPMs rev up for about a second or two and the transmission seems to just not engage like it used to. This is very odd and has not happened before.

I know that the condition of the tranny fluid is very good; I had the tranny flushed and refilled twice in a row. The fluid is brand new.

Any suggestions?

I also drive in 3 to keep the engine from shifting up and down and to keep the tranny temps down. I will upshift to D when the speed goes a little over 50 mph or if the tach stays above 3,000. Then when below 50 mph i will shift back down to 3. I only use D when im on the highway. I really cant stand it when the torque converter locks up. It is very very annoying.