The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Moonroof Tilt Problem (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47302)

taylorbr 12-14-2008 10:34 AM

Moonroof Tilt Problem

Hi all, just got the SVX back to my place so I'm starting on the maintenance items. I noticed that the moonroof isn't tilting (when you first hit the open moonroof switch). To get the moonroof to open I need to hit the switch for a few seconds, then push up with my hand to tilt the moonroof, then I can hit the switch again and it will open just fine. Closing the moonroof works fine throughout the entire range.

Because closing works fine I think all the motors and gears are ok, so I am thinking that it must be a spring or piston that helps the moonroof tilt that is worn. Do you all agree? What would be the best way to gain access to this assembly to check? Thanks!

Sir. Nate 12-14-2008 10:39 AM

Re: Moonroof Tilt Problem

mine gets stuck sometimes too.

siceclipse 12-14-2008 11:28 AM

tjis is just an all out common problem with our cars

SuberNatural 12-14-2008 11:57 AM

Mine used to get stuck, then i sprayed all the rubber gaskets with silicone. Now it works really well.

Aside from the fact that the initial press of the button doesnt move the sunroof. I have to hit the button, let go and hit it again and it pops up and slides back.

Then when i go to close it, it stops halfway closed. then i have to stop and start again. Makes me feel like the cables slipped and maybe something is out of sync.

taylorbr 12-14-2008 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuberNatural (Post 576802)
Then when i go to close it, it stops halfway closed. then i have to stop and start again. Makes me feel like the cables slipped and maybe something is out of sync.

FYI - it's supposed to stop halfway closed, so it sounds like yours is working correctly. The initial press of the open button should tilt it and stop, then you have to hit it again to slide back.

I'll try spraying the moonroof and see if that frees it up.

taylorbr 12-14-2008 12:38 PM

OK de-gunked and sprayed with liberal amounts of silicone and now it works great ;)

SuberNatural 12-14-2008 02:10 PM

Glad I could help you out! :)

Any ideas on how to fix the initial tilt issue?

taylorbr 12-14-2008 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuberNatural (Post 576822)
Glad I could help you out! :)

Any ideas on how to fix the initial tilt issue?

De-gunking it worked for me, so I think that was the problem.

SuberNatural 12-14-2008 07:25 PM

Ya, i de-gunked mine over the summer and re-applied lithium grease as suggested and it never got me anywhere. The only thing that worked was the silicone spray on the seals.

I feel like my cable just doesnt have the grip. Maybe i should figure out how to take the whole thing apart.

Francis 12-15-2008 10:16 PM

as for myself i had the same problem...i removed some dirty grease and applied some sillicone lube . now its all good

Hondasucks 12-15-2008 10:42 PM

I think there is a clutch in the motor unit that can be adjusted, at least that's another thing I've read about. Subarus must just have crappy sunroofs, since the sunroof in my Legacy and the one in my wife's legacy don't work most of the time, except they flat out don't do anything and then one day you'll hit the button and it will open, and then it's a crapshoot whether or not it will close, and sometimes I end up having to manually crank it shut.

Freeman 12-16-2008 06:28 AM

I've had this problem as well and I have just been ignoring it. Since this this was posted yesterday, I decided to go outside after work and check on my sun roof in the cold night.. I saw there is a lot of random bits of mess all through my track of my sunroof.. Thanks for posting a solution!

It's a sunroof right? Moonroof's are more twards the back of the car..

1986nate 12-16-2008 06:41 AM

Yes ours is a sunroof. A moonroof is one that has a piece that slides back so that you can have the sun come through the glass piece. On the moonroof the glass piece then can be opened up to allow air in.;)

Hondasucks 12-16-2008 08:34 PM

moonroof = glass, sunroof = solid

(although the buttons on my 86 GL-10 sedan are labeled "SUNROOF")

subbieatnz 12-17-2008 05:42 AM

Sweets i was going to ask same question lol. Ive got same prob. i didnt clean it but i regreased it. worked fine with out pushing it up once. I shall try the silicon on the rubber seal next