The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OT saves another SVX owner (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45771)

Manarius 08-08-2008 07:58 PM

OT saves another SVX owner

Today I managed to finally find my way down to OT's shop in WV. Needless to say, he definitely lived up to the name he has made for himself. First off, due to some mis-communication on my part, Tom thought I was coming last Friday and instead I came this Friday. Nevertheless, he was ready and able to help me out.

Tom was very respectful of that fact that I'm a college student on a small budget. He worked really hard at trying to save what I had and save as much money as he could. Also, I'm extremely thankful that he caught the fact that my transmission mount was broken and had a spare on hand to put it in.

I have to say though, that mount is rock solid. I get a lot more fell through the drivetrain than I did before, but the mount itself is much more meaty than the previous stock mount. Definitely worth the money.

Tom also caught a few other things that I can tend to myself, managed to show me all the rest of his SVX's and I learned a lot of things about my car that I never knew before.

Overall, I have to say that my experience was excellent and any person who has a problem with him should take it up with him because I'm sure he'll do whatever he can to make it right.

Oh and, for those of you coming from the places North of WV, I definitely suggest driving down US 220 in PA. The drive is lovely, the road is vacant and you can set the cruise and just go. By the way Tom, I got 27.5 mpg on the trip there and back including bits in town and some idling on the lift :p

SVeXy96 08-09-2008 04:14 AM

Re: OT saves another SVX owner

Geez I should have visited some of you guys when I got my first SVX from Jersey and drove it down to Tennessee. lol One day I'll come back to the mainland and finally get to attend Reading
btw I'm glad you got some of the kinks out of your car :)

SVXyGirl 08-09-2008 01:15 PM

Tom and Di are certainly wonderful people. I feel so lucky to only be (at most) 2 hours from his shop.

benebob 08-09-2008 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 559422)

Oh and, for those of you coming from the places North of WV, I definitely suggest driving down US 220 in PA. The drive is lovely, the road is vacant and you can set the cruise and just go. By the way Tom, I got 27.5 mpg on the trip there and back including bits in town and some idling on the lift :p

Just watch out for the coppers on 220. They seem to like that road. So did he fix up your exhaust isn't that what your original issue was? Did he offer you the opportunity to squeal like a pig for payment.;)

oab_au 08-09-2008 06:49 PM

Did Tom find what was causing the missing when cold?

Harvey.

SVX92-97 08-09-2008 07:09 PM

I totally agree, Tom is Great, and his work is second to none. His prices cant be beat. Wish I wasnt 400+ miles from him. Manarius, did you see my 96 polo while you were there.

Manarius 08-09-2008 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob (Post 559502)
Just watch out for the coppers on 220. They seem to like that road. So did he fix up your exhaust isn't that what your original issue was? Did he offer you the opportunity to squeal like a pig for payment.;)

I set the cruise for 65 on 220 and just let it go. I never saw a cop on my way there or back. Although, on my way back this guy found it necessary to tailgate me the entire way to the turnpike even though he could have passed me numerous times.

Yeah. Tom welded the exhaust all back together and put on some new gaskets. While we were under there, Tom noticed that my tranny bracket was shot so he replaced that while he was working with the main cat.

The prices were...excellent. Well below what people up here would ask for the work that was done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au (Post 559504)
Did Tom find what was causing the missing when cold?

Harvey.

We narrowed it down to either a coilpack on the driver's side, TPS wire issues, and/or a missing IRIS check valve. Tom put the select monitor on it and nothing showed weird except the TPS wires were wacked out. Unfortunately, not sure if that's the culprit for sure but it certainly needs fixed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX92-97 (Post 559505)
I totally agree, Tom is Great, and his work is second to none. His prices cant be beat. Wish I wasnt 400+ miles from him. Manarius, did you see my 96 polo while you were there.

Indeed...it looked exactly like my 95 Polo only without badges and less miles.

SVXyGirl 08-09-2008 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX92-97 (Post 559505)
Manarius, did you see my 96 polo while you were there.

I did. Beautiful car.

svxfiles 08-10-2008 12:33 PM

Thanks Jason,:)

Rebecca,:D

Ben:confused:

It was nice meeting you and I am glad we got almost everything done.

Harvey, it's going to be a left side coil pack.;)

Tom

benebob 08-10-2008 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 559555)

Ben:confused:

Tom

Come now I'm sure your a Burt Renyolds fan, or at least a canoe trip fan:lol:.

svxfiles 08-10-2008 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob (Post 559575)
Come now I'm sure your a Burt Renyolds fan, or at least a canoe trip fan:lol:.

This is true....
I like Burt Renolds movies, and love to get away from things of man, while floating down the Potomac River, but YOUR referance was not one of gentle
solitude, but that of ,,,,,,
something else.:rolleyes:

benebob 08-10-2008 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 559587)
This is true....
I like Burt Renolds movies, and love to get away from things of man, while floating down the Potomac River, but YOUR referance was not one of gentle
solitude, but that of ,,,,,,

Love?:lol::D:lol: