The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   getting car ready for winter ....need some help (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29167)

pnyklr 10-25-2005 03:11 PM

getting car ready for winter ....need some help

Car update

Have the driveshaft

Got a fender ... looking for another (Fed Ex damaged it) hopefully get it on saturday

Getting a rear diff and another complete driveshaft to play it safe
when I go back to work its getting all put together

Also getting a set of front seats since my passenger one split :(

Should have all parts by next week (since its starting to get snow in Pennsylvania)

Is there anything else that could be bad besides the rear diff why they would take out the driveshaft?

I dont know if stripe will work well in a foot of snow (the POSVX is low but hopefully soon it will be AWD)

Electrophil 10-25-2005 04:35 PM

I'm not up on the complete background on this, and probably missed some of your posts. But I just started wondering if maybe someone just removed the driveshaft so they could tow the car.

I humbly bow out if this has already been raised. :)

Hocrest 10-25-2005 04:40 PM

I know it's not what you want to hear, but I'm still guessing that the bastards pulled the shaft because the center diff was binding.
There is also a selanoid in the trans that can cause the center diff to bind (C??). Either one can be fixed without replacing the trans, but you may want to start to do some research on them.

pnyklr 10-25-2005 04:53 PM

Is there something else I need to get from the parts car besides the rear diff and the driveshaft (I think the drive shaft on that car is one piece)

Manarius 10-25-2005 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest
I know it's not what you want to hear, but I'm still guessing that the bastards pulled the shaft because the center diff was binding.
There is also a selanoid in the trans that can cause the center diff to bind (C??). Either one can be fixed without replacing the trans, but you may want to start to do some research on them.

Yes, Duty Solenoid C being weird causes the infamous torque bind. This is easily an $800 job to get fixed. If let alone, this can ruin the rear dif, and it would cause them to pull the shaft.

I also believe the drive shaft is 2 pieces...it is on my legacy.

I'd also suggest you check the play with the U Joints on the shaft..not a good thing to be going down the road and the joint seize...

pnyklr 10-25-2005 07:56 PM

well at the least I am going to get the extra driveshaft and the rear differential and hope for the best

should I also try to get the center differential or is that part of the driveshaft or a separate piece

pnyklr 10-25-2005 08:23 PM

I hope to have the AWD functioning correctly ASAP as Stripe isnt going to be good in the winter

and while it is fun :D to hit 15 -20 lbs of boost sideways in the snow in the GN I think I'll try to avoid any more exposure to the snow of the Buick

Electrophil 10-25-2005 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius
Yes, Duty Solenoid C being weird causes the infamous torque bind. This is easily an $800 job to get fixed. If let alone, this can ruin the rear dif, and it would cause them to pull the shaft.

I also believe the drive shaft is 2 pieces...it is on my legacy.

I'd also suggest you check the play with the U Joints on the shaft..not a good thing to be going down the road and the joint seize...

Why is selenoid C so expensive to repair? Looking in the manual, it looks accessable just by dropping the pan. Is the manual misleading and this is a "transmission pull" type job?

Earthworm 10-27-2005 01:10 PM

Actually you must remove the AWD "extension"...not just the pan.

pnyklr 10-28-2005 11:03 PM

picked up the spare set of front seats today as well as a rear diff and the one piece driveshaft

Didnt get the center piece he was rebuilding his tranny and I guess needed it

I wasnt paying attention when he showed it to me (2 hour ride and I was tired and hungry)