The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tick Tick Tick (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64199)

donmac45 02-16-2017 12:25 PM

Tick Tick Tick

A quiet ticking sound has developed in my '95
It is not related to revs. It seems to be coming from the area behind the gearstick/radio. I first noticed it via radio interference. It ticks about 4 times a second, and continues with the motor off but ignition on. It is no more obvious from the engine bay side than inside the car. My mechanic could offer no suggestions. Anyone got any ideas? regards DonMac

92 SVX 02-16-2017 09:42 PM

Re: Tick Tick Tick

Quote:

Originally Posted by donmac45 (Post 745811)
A quiet ticking sound has developed in my '95
It is not related to revs. It seems to be coming from the area behind the gearstick/radio. I first noticed it via radio interference. It ticks about 4 times a second, and continues with the motor off but ignition on. It is no more obvious from the engine bay side than inside the car. My mechanic could offer no suggestions. Anyone got any ideas? regards DonMac

Not sure if this is helpful but through the radio generally indicates a bad grounding issue, not necessarily in the radio but somewhere.

Also could indicate a bad coil, though when engine is off you would think it would not be making any more noise.

SVX_MY_BABY 02-17-2017 01:55 PM

When you say gear shift/radio I presume you mean it's not coming over the speakers.

SVXandO 02-17-2017 02:21 PM

Not a mechanic, but to me it sounds like a failing relay of some sort. I have no idea what would be in that area, but presumably it would affect some electrical system. Any other weird effects noted, perhaps sunroof operation or interior lighting?
Truly a shot in the dark. :o
If you find a cause and a fix, please post your story.

Owen

SVX_MY_BABY 02-17-2017 08:13 PM

Something stuck in the a/c heater fan? maple seed, pine needle etc.

Svx95 02-18-2017 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY (Post 745826)
Something stuck in the a/c heater fan? maple seed, pine needle etc.

The a/c heater fan is located on the far right side of the vehicle, above the passenger feet.

donmac45 02-21-2017 03:39 AM

Seems to be coming from smallish grey box under the carpet in the lefthand side front passenger footwell - on the right side.
RHD vehicle. What does the box do? -didnt want to dissconnect to see any numbers etc.
regards
DonMac

Svx95 02-21-2017 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donmac45 (Post 745853)
Seems to be coming from smallish grey box under the carpet in the lefthand side front passenger footwell - on the right side.
RHD vehicle. What does the box do? -didnt want to dissconnect to see any numbers etc.
regards
DonMac

Given you have a RHD vehicle it alters the location of the modules and timers. I believe for proper identification it would be ideal if you snapped a picture and uploaded for us to decipher.

On a LHD vehicle the only "box" by the passengers feet is the door lock timer and a pair of relays for the blower motor.

-Sam