The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   5 speeders.... Clutch question... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16108)

GreenMarine 02-01-2004 01:37 PM

5 speeders.... Clutch question...

Hey I was wondering, Huck or SubaFreak... Is the stock WRX clutch good enough for our cars?? I have to buy a clutch very very soon and I just want to know that if I do this one that I won't be doing this job again next year or something... Thanks...

Subafreak 02-01-2004 02:12 PM

Well I've heard there all right but not the best for long life.

I think Huck is still using a stock Imprezza clutch:eek: but I'm not sure if he upgraded yet.

I'm useing an ATC for a Turbo Legacy. I like it so far, no slipping but engagement is a little quick and really stinky if you do slip it.

I think the centerforce clutches get good reviews but seems your using all WRX stuff there should be a hundred options from $300 stock to $1500 double disks. How much do you want to spend on a car you know your selling anyhow?

Green1995SVX 02-01-2004 06:11 PM

I'm using a stock Impreza clutch. We'll see how that works out... :rolleyes: :D

Mike

mbtoloczko 02-01-2004 07:34 PM

You wanna buy my slightly used REX clutch? Less than 2K miles on it. I'll post pics if you want. Most people on NASIOC seem to be getting at least 50K-80K miles. Some are getting less, but I suspect they aren't being very nice to it.

GreenMarine 02-02-2004 06:36 AM

I found a brand new Exedy Stock replacement for only $175... Compaired to thier stage 1 street organic clutch ($460) I think that this is a great buy... May have to go for it... Don't plan on putting but maybe 20k on the car at most before it's sold... So I really doubt that I'll wear this new one down... You're right, there are laot of clutch options when using the WRX tranny... But something that I believe now is sacrafice the clutch before the tranny... In otherwords put a clutch in that is easy to drive and will not stress the tranny too much when you want to go... That's why I am staying pretty close to stock clutch... If I put a twin disc cerimetallic clutch pack in then I could kiss my tranny good buy the first time I decided to launch kinda hard......

mbtoloczko 02-02-2004 08:51 AM

I hate to say it, but you'll probably need a new pressure plate too, and you'll probably need to get your flywheel resurfaced (not expensive but a hassle). The stuff I'm selling is stock WRX out of a 2002 model. I've got the pressure plate and the disk.

huck369 02-02-2004 10:36 AM

I actually upgraded to one from Roger down in NC last summer, the Stock Legacy one (From Advanced Auto) was still working OK if I didn't drive it to hard, it just couldn't handle a hard launch, but worked fine for day to day driving.

I don't know what would be your best bet for the WRX type, as its a completely different set-up than my Cable Impreza one...

GreenMarine 02-03-2004 07:55 AM

I'm ok with slippage... Slippage = Less drive train shock.... that also = less chance of blowing out a gear out that way... :D:D:D

GreenMarine 02-03-2004 12:48 PM

Clutch is on it's way form Washington... Should be here sometime by the end of the week... Can't wait to get it in!!! :D:D:D:cool:

Earthworm 02-04-2004 06:24 PM

Like I've mentioned before I'm still using the stock WRX clutch and haven't noticed any slipping so far. I haven't been able to do a harder launch yet (snow/ice).

GreenMarine 02-05-2004 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
Like I've mentioned before I'm still using the stock WRX clutch and haven't noticed any slipping so far. I haven't been able to do a harder launch yet (snow/ice).
Cool that makes me feel better... :D:cool: