The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Reading Meet (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   New poll: Reading 17 date change (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63466)

svxcess 05-13-2015 11:19 AM

New poll: Reading 17 date change

The Holiday Inn is completely booked for the first two weekends in May.

Is it worth it to try for the last weekend in April, which would be April 29-May 1, 2016, or just leave it where it is?

Do you think one week would make a difference? Prompt responses are encouraged.

They have us penciled in for the April 22-24 dates, so we would have to let them know soon.

Sorry.

1986nate 05-13-2015 01:39 PM

Re: New poll: Reading 17 date change

What happened to Reading being about tradition? Leave it the dates it's (almost) always been.

*to further add, the following weekend is the weekend before most college finals. Will likely rule out a lot of younger ones as they'll be preparing to study.

svxcess 05-13-2015 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 740254)

*to further add, the following weekend is the weekend before most college finals. Will likely rule out a lot of younger ones as they'll be preparing to study.

That's one of the reasons for the poll. To give the anyone who cares to (and the younger ones you mention) a chance express their preferences on this issue. If the students care, they'll let us know.

This is not a mandate, just another option, since the first one fell through.

And "tradition" has ALWAYS remained an option on both polls.

As usual, the people who really care will take the time to voice their opinion; those that can't be bothered or are indifferent have to accept what is. You have the option to do nothing at all, but it takes less than 2 seconds to check the "makes no difference" option.

SVX92-97 05-15-2015 10:08 AM

Why cant it be in summer, like June or July. Lot more things to do then and temperature wont be an issue.;)

Huskymaniac 05-15-2015 06:51 PM

Quote:

What happened to Reading being about tradition? Leave it the dates it's (almost) always been.

That tradition died along with the tradition of this forum being active and the tradition of people helping each other when questions or requests for parts were posted. Those traditions have been replaced by later Reading dates, forum apathy and people posting answers to dumbass questions from milennials on facebook.

The SVX is on its deathbed and is breathing its last breath.

ddmd 05-17-2015 03:14 PM

Tony, I sent you a PM about the part you were looking for. Did you receive it?

Sean486 05-17-2015 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 740277)
That tradition died along with the tradition of this forum being active and the tradition of people helping each other when questions or requests for parts were posted. Those traditions have been replaced by later Reading dates, forum apathy and people posting answers to dumbass questions from milennials on facebook.

The SVX is on its deathbed and is breathing its last breath.

I understand the frustration but the negativity does not help. If the activity of the forum is not to your liking then work to improve it. There are still people here that love the SVX and that is what really matters.

Huskymaniac 05-17-2015 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddmd (Post 740296)
Tony, I sent you a PM about the part you were looking for. Did you receive it?

I did. Tom sent me one. The person you mentioned in your PM has become useless in my eyes. Thankfully Tom still cares. Hopefully he will start feeling better soon.

Huskymaniac 05-17-2015 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean486 (Post 740297)
I understand the frustration but the negativity does not help. If the activity of the forum is not to your liking then work to improve it. There are still people here that love the SVX and that is what really matters.

Sorry Sean. I am calling it how I see it. But I understand that you have a different perspective. I don't even understand why I have a different perspective. It's complicated. Suffice it to say that any increase in activity from me won't matter.

svxcess 05-19-2015 09:11 PM

Looks like the vote is 12 to 1 in favor of the new date of April 29-May 1, 2016.

Unless there is a last minute rush of new votes, I will call the hotel on Thursday afternoon and secure the rooms contract.

Even the original poll for May favored a change to a later date by 5 to 1.

svxcess 05-20-2015 09:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

The original Reading was held in Morgantown on the FIRST weekend in April, and we followed that tradition for Reading II and III until the attendees decided it was too cold in early April.

Reading IV and V were moved to the second weekend, then to the third, back to the second for a year, back to the third, and on from there. Some of these Readings were still too cold, so we went to May for one year for Reading XII.

So I guess we just re-define tradition as being at the Morgantown Holiday Inn sometime in April.
But I also miss the tradition of Asti too.

The first 12 Readings:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...1&d=1432135318

svxcess 05-21-2015 11:41 AM

Just got off the phone with the Morgantown Holiday inn and confirmed the NEW dates for Reading 17 and initiated a rooms contract.

READING 17 WILL BE HELD AT THE MORGANTOWN HOLIDAY INN
FRIDAY, APRIL 29-SUNDAY, MAY 1, 2016

Based on the preferences of the poll, by those members who seemed to prefer a later date and the possibility of warmer weather.

Warmer weather was also a big influence on the previous poll with May dates.

They will send the contract to me by next week with number of rooms, prices, etc.

Everyone should now be happy.

"Tradition" has been maintained
Members who couldn't make it May, due to scheduling conflicts, can now attend.
Weather should be warmer, but rain is always a possibility in April
Students can now relax and study later.

theflystyle 05-21-2015 01:15 PM

Thanks for all your work on this John

svxcess 06-20-2015 07:27 PM

Had to remind the Holiday Inn to send out the new contract for Reading 17.

The dates for Reading 17 are Friday, April 29-Sunday, May 1, 2016.

This was based on the two previous polls voted upon by those wanting something a little later for potentially warmer weather

Will post more information on number of rooms they are allocating and the rates early next week.

svxcess 07-10-2015 03:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 740786)
Will post more information on number of rooms they are allocating and the rates early next week.

I was afraid this would happen one day.

Over the past couple of years, the declining attendance at Reading and the number of rooms that were actually picked up from the block that the hotel reserved for us, has cost them in lost revenue. That, along with entirely new management, has probably caused them to rethink their relationship with us.

The last two times they gave us a small allocation of 10 rooms a night, I begged them increase to 20, promising them that we would fill it. We failed to do it then, and last year as well.

Based on our past performance, their latest contract has given is the following.

Friday night:
2 Queen suite: 1 (this is not a typo) 1 room
King suite: 1 (again, not a typo) 1 room

Saturday night:
2 Queen suite: 5 rooms
King suite: 5 rooms.

Looks like they are wanting to give us only 12 rooms total for the weekend

After keeping the rooms at the same rate for over 2 years, the rate is also up $3.00/night, from $89.00 to $92.00 plus 11% tax, or $102.12/ night.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...1&d=1436664147

I will try to convince the hotel that this is not adequate for our needs. We don't patronize their restaurant as well as we could. Same with their bar. These areas would usually make up for what they would lose in room revenue. Things were very different when we were filling 30-35 rooms a night, not less than 10.

This may revert back to the way it was at the very first Reading. Show up and meet, decide to stay the night if you want and hope they have rooms available (which was never an issue the first weekend in April)

Will post my progress or lack of.

If I cannot prevail, I am not sure I would be willing to sign the current contract. Any advice or comments are appreciated;
this is new territory.
I believe this is a management decision; the old management, with Jerry Bellistri, would not have allowed this to happen. All the great people who I have cultivated a relationship with have moved on.