The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Something Fishy going on... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19618)

Whoru465 06-29-2004 10:41 AM

Something Fishy going on...

So here I am getting very excited about buying a beautiful '92 SXV LS-L, only 53k on the clock. I put down $500, sign the purchase and sales agreement and work out the financing, only to have the salesman call me the next day (very late in the afternoon) and tell that the car was sold on that previous Friday! Something dosen't add up. If it were sold why would it still be sitting in the lot in plain view with no "Sold" sticker on it. With every other dealership I've ever seen, that what they do(or put it out back). Madness. I am determined not to let this car get away. I've never seen one in such great condition for the book price, no less. Any thoughts?? Thanks

Chiketkd 06-29-2004 10:47 AM

Welcome to the site! :)

That's terrible what the dealership did to you - however, it happens all the time. Sales people find it hard to turn away a customer with $$$. Even if the car was 'sold', if someone walks in and offers cash for it, they'll sell it every time.

Sorry to hear. I better one always comes along... ;)

-Chike

Mr. Pockets 06-29-2004 10:51 AM

Well, hey, maybe they made a mistake. Did you put the $500 down before or after Friday? It's possible that one salesman messed up and didn't tag a car he ahd already sold.

Or maybe they realized you're hooked and want to shake you down for more money.

I wasn't there, so I can't read the situation or the people. If you think it's an honest mistake, then there's probably little you can do about it. They can offer you a deal on another car on the lot, but they can't magically produce another SVX i nthe same condition. If you think it's the second situation, that they're trying to get you to offer more money in hopes of landing the car, then you should walk away. They'll call.

Whoru465 06-29-2004 10:57 AM

Well, I think something up. I put down my deposit on Sunday. My problem is, when I returned the car after a test drive, they immedeatly put it out back. The car was sitting right outside the door to the dealership with all window stickers and windshield paint still on it when I got there. The car had a bad wheel bearing and needed a new fuse for the rear wiper, so the agreement was to fix that and I would buy the car. I have a feeling the boss came in Monday morning and and went nuts seeing that they had to agreed to repairs. Secondly the salesman was not helpful in even asking if they could help me out in possibly another car on their lot. Either way, they have a binding contract with me. Good thing I work for a law firm. We'll just have to see what pans out...

ensteele 06-29-2004 11:15 AM

Very interesting. Keep us informed. :)

IggDawg 06-29-2004 05:29 PM

Welcome to the site! And, hopefully, welcome to the wonderful world of SVX ownership. When you pick it up, we should do lunch sometime or something. I work in Burlington. I can check out the car for the "common fixes" to keep her running strong, and give you some pointers on SVX ownership. It's not a park-n-drive car :D.

Pearlywhites1992 06-30-2004 05:23 AM

It's not a park-n-drive car .

I disagree!

calmone 06-30-2004 08:14 AM

"If you think it's an honest mistake"

this phrase is an oxymoron in the car business.

Whoru465 07-03-2004 10:32 AM

Thanks for the welcome. Just an update, I never heard back from the dealer, but as luck would have it, I found another! A pearl 92 LS-L with under 100k...I guess you were right Chike. I test drove it today... This car is addictive....well driven and well cared for. So, I bought it. I'm going to pick it up Wednesday which will also be the day I send in my "Official SVX Nut" registration card. You all seem like a fun group, I look forward to being addicted to this car...

-Mike :D

NikFu S. 07-05-2004 01:52 AM

Best have everything looked at and get any replacement parts you might need beforehand.