The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Forum settings change, input requested. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45156)

RSVX 06-16-2008 11:24 AM

Forum settings change, input requested.

We are going to make some changes to the way signatures are handled, as they have gotten out of hand. We are here to read the content provided, not stare at signatures that take up 2/3rds of the viewable screen for a 3 word post...

Here are the changes:
  • Can Upload Images for Signature: NO
  • Maximum Lines in Signature: 10
  • Allow Size BBCode: Yes
  • Maximum Value of x for [SIZE=x] BBCode: 2 (2 is the default size, this setting would allow them to make the size smaller, but not larger)
  • Allow Font BBCode: NO
  • Allow List BBCode: NO
  • Allow Code BBCode: NO
  • Allow PHP BBCode: NO
  • Allow HTML BBCode: NO
  • Allow Quote BBCode: NO

Changing these settings would mean, no pictures, no extremely large text, no crazy fonts, no lists like what I did here with the bullets, no code, PHP, or HTML quote style boxes, and no message quote boxes.

Examples of HTML, PHP, Code, and Quote boxes:
HTML Code:

<a href="http://www.google.com">Google</a>
PHP Code:

PHP Tags 

Code:

Code Tags
Quote:

Quoting in sigantures SUX
What I want from you guys is your thoughts and opinions on the changes.

joe62890 06-16-2008 11:26 AM

Re: Forum settings change, input requested.

Sounds fair to me. Not going to hurt my signature but it'll sure help keep the really big ones from being so big.

Landshark 06-16-2008 11:29 AM

thank-you.

kill those page-long sigs, por favor.

ibYoungTomandNapaBavarianlosetheirlife'swork

mysvxrocks 06-16-2008 11:30 AM

Its alright with me as well. Doesnt bother me much.

TomsSVX 06-16-2008 12:10 PM

why??

Don't like signatures... turn them off:confused:

Tom

RSVX 06-16-2008 12:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Because some of us want signatures to learn about who it is posting, the problem is that when the get absurdly large, it now becomes the SVX World Signature Network and takes away from the content.

Case in point, is all of this REALLY necessary? The same message can be given, without 27 flavors of flair. When my dual 19" monitors that are set to 1280x1024 (each) and all I see is signature for 2 words... it's out of hand.

See attachment:

RSVX 06-16-2008 12:20 PM

Also, this isnt just me talking, this has been discussed and agreed upon by the Admins/Mods.

Sov13t 06-16-2008 01:04 PM

This "sensitive" issue comes up on any forum/message board.

Why limit all the codes and such... why not just set a limit on number of lines + size of image limits?

That should resolve your primary concern of how big the signatures are? Them being purrty shouldn't a concern :confused:

And yes my sig is pretty big I will trim it ;)

For example SMF (Simple Machine Forums) by default limit signatures to 300 characters max.

-Sov13t

RSVX 06-16-2008 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sov13t (Post 552224)
This "sensitive" issue comes up on any forum/message board.

Why limit all the codes and such... why not just set a limit on number of lines + size of image limits?

That should resolve your primary concern of how big the signatures are? Them being purrty shouldn't a concern :confused:

And yes my sig is pretty big I will trim it ;)

For example SMF (Simple Machine Forums) by default limit signatures to 300 characters max.

-Sov13t

They can still be colorful, bolded, italicized, and underlined, just all the same font now.

TomsSVX 06-16-2008 02:04 PM

better?

Tom

RSVX 06-16-2008 02:06 PM

Yes, of course it is, but when I change the settings, its more than 10 lines.

I should also add, that in those 10 lines the character count is staying the same as it is presently.

We really just want to minimize the clutter.

I will be making the change later this week, not sure how it will affect current, already established signatures.

TomsSVX 06-16-2008 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSVX (Post 552236)
Yes, of course it is, but when I change the settings, its more than 10 lines.

I should also add, that in those 10 lines the character count is staying the same as it is presently.

We really just want to minimize the clutter.

I will be making the change later this week, not sure how it will affect current, already established signatures.

So no double space?? Being a teacher I alway prefer to double space mostly everything. Leaves clarity and definition in sentences lines and bullets...

Tom

dyne 06-16-2008 02:28 PM

Sounds fair to me! Most forums I'm at, have a 6-line or 3-line + 80pixels banner maximum, so 10 lines i for me by far enough.

It's Just Eric 06-16-2008 04:46 PM

A limit on lines would make sence, as it seems your biggest concern is not taking up all the space on your screen .Limiting sizes on signature pictures also makes sence, for the same reason. But to take away quote boxes? Make all the fonts the same size and style? Remove some harmless bits of code? Seems a bit out of hand to me

Edit: Il chop a few blank lines out to help squish this down a bit

tiv0 06-16-2008 05:16 PM

so if we have pictures in our signatures, should we remove them?