The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   No Mercy! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8026)

SHISVX 01-07-2003 08:47 PM

No Mercy!

this is CRAZY the snow just won't quit! i have to say that i have spent more time practicing driving in the damn snow just trying to get somewhere...usually home. i haven't even gotten a chance to play in a parking lot...no fair :( anyways, who would like some of the snow we are getting here?

i must say, i have driven front wheel drive vehicles since i started driving. AWD is the best, i think it is even better in some instances then 4X4.

could someone tell me the difference, besides being able to turn it on and off, between my AWD and my b/f's 4X4 in his Yukon?

Kelli

Subafreak 01-07-2003 08:58 PM

You don't know the differece yet. I though every Subaru driver knew this. AWD has a center differential that allowes the front and rear wheels to travel at different speeds, such as when turning. 4wd had no center dif. thats why you can't drive around with it on dry pavment, when you went around corners the drivetrain would bind up and cause a braking affect. Go ahead and try it in your b/fs truck you'll quickly learn the difference.

Phast SVX 01-07-2003 09:04 PM

dont throw the term differential around too much......it is simply a clutch pack type case, unlike a transfer case that locks 4wd cars as you explained above and cuases their binding :)

Subafreak 01-07-2003 09:14 PM

Technically yes, but just tryin to lay down the basics, Next week we will be covering Viscosius Locking Differential.

CDG 01-07-2003 09:24 PM

Right, I'm tune in for the Viscus diff session, but whats that Diff called that has no wearing parts???
We need more of those.
And don't say a solid axle.

Oh, we need some of that snow you are wining about, please have the city drop off about 30,000 truck loads at my favourite local hill, CypressMountain.com they need a liitle more base to make me happy.

Subafreak 01-07-2003 09:26 PM

A spool.

CDG 01-07-2003 11:55 PM

Hmm, that's kinda like a solid axle isn't it?

Like a SPOOL if thread, no?

svx_commuter 01-08-2003 06:32 AM

The transfer case clutch pack is only in the USA cars. The rest of the worlds SVX's have a front to rear differental arrangement.

Tires make a BIG difference on the snow Kelli. How are your tires rated at tirerack.com?

Alcyone SVX LSL 01-08-2003 08:10 AM

Just about any SUV or truck will run a 50/50 split in power front/rear. Some are all time 4wheel drive(MLs for example) and they are the same as a AWD car.

CigarJohnny 01-08-2003 10:40 AM

Also most 4x4 trucks/SUVs have transfer cases with hi/low gearing like a second tranny. It enables them to really reduce the gearing in 4x4 mode to climb over tough obstacles. Vehicles like the RAV4 and CRV are nothing more than AWD cars with SUV bodies on them. Pretty useless in serious off roading and good for nothing more than deep snow on the roads.

Pure_Insanity8 01-08-2003 11:16 AM

Re: No Mercy!

Quote:

Originally posted by SHISVX
this is CRAZY the snow just won't quit! i have to say that i have spent more time practicing driving in the damn snow just trying to get somewhere...usually home. i haven't even gotten a chance to play in a parking lot...no fair :( anyways, who would like some of the snow we are getting here?

Kelli

Send some this way (after I put new tires on). This is freakin' Minnesota and we really haven't had any (in the twin cities area). It usually is thick no later then December... and it's January with none on the ground... how weird. It was over 50 degrees yesterday... does this me when it does come it'll stay through July or something?:D

-Aaron

Earthworm 01-09-2003 03:37 PM

Re: Re: No Mercy!

Quote:

Originally posted by Pure_Insanity8
It was over 50 degrees yesterday... does this me when it does come it'll stay through July or something?:D
Being just north of you we got similar weather. Last night though it snowed something fierce and most of the snow came back.

I can still remember April 1997!

Pure_Insanity8 01-10-2003 08:08 AM

Re: Re: Re: No Mercy!

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
Being just north of you we got similar weather. Last night though it snowed something fierce and most of the snow came back.

I can still remember April 1997!

Snowed last night here, too. Made for an interesting (and scary) drive home at 1 am with summer tires and bad alignment.:) Events of '97 don't stand out in my mind... I never see snow when my birthday comes around in April, but it snowed on it last year... kind of made me mad.

-Aaron

Earthworm 01-10-2003 02:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: No Mercy!

Quote:

Originally posted by Pure_Insanity8

Snowed last night here, too. Made for an interesting (and scary) drive home at 1 am with summer tires and bad alignment.:) Events of '97 don't stand out in my mind... I never see snow when my birthday comes around in April, but it snowed on it last year... kind of made me mad.

-Aaron

I shouldn't even be driving my SVX right now (It also has summer tires). I would be driving the Justy if it wasn't getting a new dash installed.