The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest Region (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   VW Vans with SVX Motors (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28205)

US to CDN SVX 09-01-2005 10:24 PM

VW Vans with SVX Motors

Hold onto your SVX Motor. I have a friend in Seattle that says there is a guy that goes around buying SVX Motors out of wrecks and installing them in VW vans.

NapaBavarian 09-02-2005 01:17 AM

More than one, Small Car Performance in WA sells parts/does the work, some experimental aircraft use the eg33. I actually have most of 2 engines that I wanted to build into one for my Vanagon, but with fuel prices what they are I will do fine with the 2.2l subaru, a very popular replacement for the waterboxer. It is often said that a used 2.2l will outlast a rebuilt VW engine.

Tim-H 09-02-2005 05:37 PM

smallcar=crap.

US to CDN SVX 09-02-2005 09:33 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I just thought there goes the chance of getting a replacement engine in WA. Must be one smooth ride in a VW van thou...

NapaBavarian 09-02-2005 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim-H
smallcar=crap.

I've heard this before, any examples?

Tim-H 09-03-2005 06:59 PM

the job they did on both Earls and my old car with their 5-speed handy work.

My problems were

Was qouted $3,000 and when I picked it up the price jumped to $4,000

Had my car for 3 months before I got it back.

The hole cut for the shifter was jagged, looked like they cut it with a hacksaw, the boot wouldnt stay in place.

I went through a pressure plate, clutch, throwout bearing, faulty slave/master cylinder, and the transmission started whining, all in the first month or two.

US to CDN SVX 09-03-2005 08:31 PM

That sucks. Did you get any comp for that?

Was it a high Miles tranny? WRX tranny?

Tim-H 09-03-2005 09:01 PM

No info on the tranny other than it came from a 97 legacy, could have been an outback gt or L series. I got compensated on the master/slave fix and pressure plate (done at the same time). But nothing else, and even then he tried to trade me parts instead of paying the bill.

ensteele 09-03-2005 11:37 PM

My hand starts to cramp up just thinking about writing the problem that I had with them. Mostly poor workmanship and not standing behind the product or workmanship. Their workers also had my nitrous system most of the way out (cut wires instead of disconnecting them) before they found out that I didn't want to sell it to them. They then just put it back in without hooking everything back up. My security system (after market) and other things did not work when I got the car back. I could go on and on. I will not deal with them again and I know what they did to Tim and that was BS too. My tranny went out because their cross member was mis-aligned and the bearing wore out and it ate the tranny. They told me they would do what they could for me - yep, they even charged me for the tranny fluid. It was over $4,000 for the total job. Then I found out about all of the other stuff I had to fix after I got it back that worked before the car went into their shop. :mad: :mad: :mad:

US to CDN SVX 09-04-2005 10:51 PM

Holly Crap. That Sucks. One day when I want to go a 5 Speed I will not got to them. So hard to trust someone when it comes to these cars. I do most things myself. But for a 5spd Conversion I do not have the tools. I go to the dealer for the big stuff at $104 an hour rate.

Yikes. Thanks for the input.

NapaBavarian 09-05-2005 12:09 AM

%^_+, small car is the only company that builds a good header and engine mount for the subie/vanagon swap... other than that I could care less about them....