The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Exterior Car Care Products (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Clay bar (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56383)

SSSVX 01-18-2011 04:14 AM

Clay bar

What kind would you recommend?

I saw some liquid clay bar system on the market. How do they work? Do they work better than the traditional ones or more easy to use?

Landshark 01-18-2011 06:36 AM

Re: Clay bar

next thread:

"I bought Liquid Clay Bar system online, paint scratched to hell -wtd"

RojoRocket 01-18-2011 07:34 AM

I would stick to the traditional clay bar system from Mother's or Meguiars. I saw a bottle of that Liquid Clay bar on the bargain table at Ace last week, so obviously not a hot seller. Why mess with something that works? Besides, when you're finished you still have some liquid detailer to use for future cleanup.

Glenn :cool:

LetItSnow 01-18-2011 07:44 AM

I've had good fortune with Meguiar's. I can imagine Mother's is as good.

httrdd 01-18-2011 03:36 PM

Meguiars that's all.

Crazy_pilot 01-18-2011 03:51 PM

I have the Meguiars claybar. I tried the Turtle Wax Ice liquid clay. Did an alright job, but left a residue on the car that required an extra rinse/scrub with a microfiber. Just make sure you turn/knead the clay often and you're good to go.

Blacky 01-18-2011 04:24 PM

Meguiars here too. It's great, but work in the shade.

benebob 01-18-2011 06:08 PM

Dodo Juice is like shiney crack for your car.

ensteele 01-19-2011 10:42 PM

I moved this thread to the proper forum. :)

SSSVX 01-20-2011 02:25 AM

thanks guys for the tips..........i get a better idea what to get now.

AlcyoneHakase 01-21-2011 01:36 AM

Also, try not don't drop the clay bar on the ground, because it will pick up rocks and stuff, and you don't wanna rub that into your car. Seems like a duh thing, but people have asked me before if it is still ok to use the clay bar if they accidently dropped it on the ground. Drop it=game over XD

SvXit 02-05-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSSVX (Post 667034)
What kind would you recommend?

I saw some liquid clay bar system on the market. How do they work? Do they work better than the traditional ones or more easy to use?

Try the bars from DI. With Dodo Juice Born Slippery, it makes very short work of claying and does a fantastic job:

http://www.detailedimage.com/Clay-Bar-C6/

The only thing remotely resembling liquid clay that I would use is Zymöl HD Cleanse:

http://www.zymol.com/zymolhd-cleanse85oz.aspx

Hope this helps.

**Ewie** 02-06-2011 01:09 AM

Another hands up for Meguires.. I've used their product soft years and have always found them reliable in every vehicle I've had

benebob 02-06-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvXit (Post 668441)
Try the bars from DI. With Dodo Juice Born Slippery, it makes very short work of claying and does a fantastic job:

Glad to see someone else has stumbled upon Dodo stuff. It isn't cheap but I've come up with very little which compares to it. Wish it was more available here.

OzBloke 11-03-2011 01:59 AM

I use traditional clay bars. Here are some notes from the detailing forum I belong to:

Clay will remove the build up of sap, road grime, bug residue, bird droppings, tar and just about anything else that gets stuck to your paint, including wax and sealants, leaving your paint feeling like glass, ready for a polish and wax to bring it to life.

Using detailing clay is really very simple and also very safe provided you follow some simple instructions.

1.Work in the shade

2.Wash and dry your car

3.Put your hand inside a plastic shopping bag and then run your hand over your paint and notice how it feels like sandpaper.

4.If you have chosen one of the larger clay bars, cut it into 4 pieces and shape one of these into a flat round disk shape.

5.Spray the area you wish to clean with Clay Lubricant and then rub the clay back and forth until you feel the roughness diminish, wipe off the residual spray with a Microfibre towel and move onto the next area. I typically divide a roof or bonnet into 4. Put your plastic bag back on and feel the difference, simply amazing.

Tips: Make you sure you use enough lubricant, do not scrimp as you could scratch your car.

Check the surface of the clay bar for contaminants constantly and knead it back into itself so your are always using a clean part of the clay.

If you drop the clay, throw it away, one small piece of dirt could scratch your paint very badly.

You can usually get 4 cars to one bar, however using an entire clay bar on one car due to it being very badly covered in industrial fallout is not unheard of.

Wash the car to remove any clay or lubricant residue.

When you have done the entire car it should feel like glass. One point to remember though, a clay bar will not remove scratches or swirl marks for these paint imperfections you will need a dedicated swirl remover.

Just a few quick notes. Always cut your clay into 2, 3 or 4 pieces. If it drops on the ground you will need to throw it away. Use plenty of lubricant. Once finished you will not believe what a great result you will get.

Cheers