The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OT-Antique Car Sighting (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8328)

LarryIII 01-21-2003 04:35 AM

OT-Antique Car Sighting

Driving to work this morning, I encountered a 1950 Ford 2-door sedan at 5:40 AM on I-95N in the Marcus Hook, PA area. The car was a dark maroon and seemed to be very stock and in good shape. It was still dark out (no comments about graduated bifocal glasses - please)and hard to see details. The Ford was travelling at 60 mph. I waved to the guy driving and he waved back. Then I continued on at higher speed.

I don't know if there is a car show coming up around the Philly area.

subymtnguy 01-21-2003 07:31 AM

Old Ford...

I had a 49' Ford....nearly identical to the 50. It was my 1st car.
Sure learned alot about the great flathead eight...pushbutton start switch, mechanical overdrive, 3 "in the tree"....oh yea, Top 40 AM radio on the buzzy tube radio...

...I'm dateing myself again...:rolleyes:

Aredubjay 01-21-2003 07:55 AM

Re: Old Ford...

Quote:

Originally posted by subymtnguy
I had a 49' Ford....nearly identical to the 50. It was my 1st car.
Sure learned alot about the great flathead eight...pushbutton start switch, mechanical overdrive, 3 "in the tree"....oh yea, Top 40 AM radio on the buzzy tube radio...

...I'm dateing myself again...:rolleyes:

I learned to drive 3-on-the-tree in my dad's '46 Plymouth Deluxe Fordor. I was only 14. He was going to give it to me when I turned 16. Had the original mohair seats. To sit in the back seat was like sitting in your living room. He wound up selling it to a guy who said he was going to take the engine out and use it in a concrete mixer. I've never really forgiven him for that. :( Especially since, several years later, the police came knocking on his door in reference to a hit and run accident. Seems a restored 46 Plymouth Deluxe 4-Door, registered to him (the guy never changed the title) had been involved in a hit and run.

wasions 01-21-2003 12:27 PM

Pre 60's cars . . .

. . . are a hit in this part of the country. I regularly see both stockers and customs used as daily drivers. :cool:

Ron Mummert 01-21-2003 07:38 PM

Re: Re: Old Ford...

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

I learned to drive 3-on-the-tree in my dad's '46 Plymouth Deluxe Fordor. I was only 14. He was going to give it to me when I turned 16. Had the original mohair seats. To sit in the back seat was like sitting in your living room. He wound up selling it to a guy who said he was going to take the engine out and use it in a concrete mixer. I've never really forgiven him for that. :( Especially since, several years later, the police came knocking on his door in reference to a hit and run accident. Seems a restored 46 Plymouth Deluxe 4-Door, registered to him (the guy never changed the title) had been involved in a hit and run.

Ah Memories! One of my high school friend's dad had a '46 Dodge, that was "pilfered" regularly by my friend who was 15 at the time. He'd beep the horn late at night, & I'd sneak out & join the joy ride. We'd marvel because Chris (the friend) was only about 5' 2" tall & could barely see over the 3' steering wheel, but had the "three-tree" mastered. That was back in 1956. Chris has remained a life-long friend, & I spent last new year's eve with him & his family.
He's now about 6 feet tall though, drives a Buick, a beat-up Ford F-150, & a Suzuki bike. It's fun not growing up.

Ron.

calmone 01-22-2003 08:59 AM

personally i don't care what the mva says, 49's and 50's are NOT antique cars! i mean, is a piece of furniture made in 1950 an antique? and you guys are OLD. older than me (at least ron is, i mean having to use that walker to get to his svx i would find embarrissing).

mohrds 01-22-2003 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by calmone
i mean, is a piece of furniture made in 1950 an antique?
You obviously haven't been to an antique store lately. They are filled with 50's furniture, dishes, and furnishings.

Doug

Aredubjay 01-22-2003 09:30 AM

Quote:

personally i don't care what the mva says, 49's and 50's are NOT antique cars! i mean, is a piece of furniture made in 1950 an antique? and you guys are OLD. older than me (at least ron is, i mean having to use that walker to get to his svx i would find embarrissing).
Guess I'm an antique (1955):( If that isn't enough, I'm having to get over kids wearing clothes I used to wear and calling it "retro.":rolleyes:

I wish I still had some of those clothes. I could make a fortune on e-bay. :D

Nehru Shirts/Jackets
Elephant Leg Corduroys
Pleated Bellbottoms
Hip Hugger Bells
"Body Shirts"
Puffed Sleeved, pointy big collared shirts
Platform shoes
. . . those were the days. :D

calmone 01-22-2003 01:59 PM

doug, the salvation army thrift center does not qualify as an "antique store"!!

Aredubjay 01-22-2003 02:10 PM

Quote:

doug, the salvation army thrift center does not qualify as an "antique store"!!
LOL! :D

Ron Mummert 01-22-2003 08:24 PM

I wish I still had some of those clothes. I could make a fortune on e-bay. :D

Nehru Shirts/Jackets
Elephant Leg Corduroys
Pleated Bellbottoms
Hip Hugger Bells
"Body Shirts"
Puffed Sleeved, pointy big collared shirts
Platform shoes
. . . those were the days. :D [/B][/QUOTE]

...WERE the days? ALL of my shirts have become "body shirts".
Platform shoes are IN. I'm just waiting for those 2 inch wide neckties to make a comeback.

Ron (the dedicated follower of fashion)

Trevor 01-23-2003 02:51 AM

We would stretch to calling a Fortyniner a Classic car, never vintage and certainly not antique, which we reserve for non mobile stuff.

My first car was a sports car I built myself ( what we call a special ) from a 1927 Fiat 509. I could call it a '48. Six on the floor and two levers , crash box ( no synchro. ) but also a two speed diff. ex model T Ford. Result six forward and two reverse and lots of fun. The OEM box had very wide ratios and the result was six speeds nicely spaced. The car did quite well in competition.

Do I win the vintage stakes :confused:

LarryIII 01-23-2003 04:26 AM

Forget furniture. I have antique sox from 1948 and they still fit. I've always had BIG feet, even then. Did I mention a pair of shorts from 1953? :D :D :D

Uncamitzi 01-23-2003 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by LarryIII
Forget furniture. I have antique sox from 1948 and they still fit. I've always had BIG feet, even then. Did I mention a pair of shorts from 1953? :D :D :D

+:( +++MUST CLEANSE MENTAL IMAGE!!!!!:eek: :eek:

DavieGravy 01-23-2003 02:04 PM

Re: OT-Antique Car Sighting

Quote:

Originally posted by LarryIII
Driving to work this morning, I encountered a 1950 Ford 2-door sedan at 5:40 AM on I-95N in the Marcus Hook, PA area. The car was a dark maroon and seemed to be very stock and in good shape. It was still dark out (no comments about graduated bifocal glasses - please)and hard to see details. The Ford was travelling at 60 mph. I waved to the guy driving and he waved back. Then I continued on at higher speed.

I don't know if there is a car show coming up around the Philly area.

I saw something similar the other day. Except there were about 6 or 7 of them in a row, they may not have been fords, and I'd estimate the year to be early 40s. Must have been a meet. Bunch of old men driving them too. :)