The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Stainless Steel Brakeline question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30184)

fait_svx 12-09-2005 10:46 PM

Stainless Steel Brakeline question

Is it a bad idea, for those of us living in areas in the country where winter temps can fall below zero, to install these on our cars? Wouldnt the steel lines be more susceptible to freezing, as compared to the rubber ones?

huck369 12-10-2005 08:58 AM

....I wouldn't think so, it's a braided Line, what makes you think it would freeze?
You shouldn't have to worry about them freezing, unless you have water in your brake lines....

ensteele 12-10-2005 09:36 AM

I have never heard of any problems with stainless lines in very cold temps. :)

SVXRide 12-10-2005 09:36 AM

no.....no.....no.....it would have to get colder than you can even imagine for brake fluid to freeze (unless, of course, you've got water in your lines, which is a whole different discussion :rolleyes: ).
Installing SS brakelines is one of the best things you can do to improve the stopping power for the SVX, IMHO.
-Bill

svxcess 12-10-2005 11:59 AM

The stainless brake lines actually have a teflon core that is surrounded by the braided stainless steel for protection. The teflon does not deteriorate or expand the way that rubber does

Earthworm 12-12-2005 11:20 AM

I have not installed my set yet and the only thing I can imagine that would be bad for them would be the salt on the streets. Everything else would affect the regular lines equally as much.

benebob 12-12-2005 11:27 AM

Word of caution. We have the one's that Dalye sells on our race car. THEY ARE DEFINATELY NOT RACE QUALTIY. The brackets were broken within 2 weeks of installation and I really never noticed a bit of difference. Granted we actually have freash fluid in ours and we weigh less but not a single bit of difference. Will get 'em made by a professional local shop next time as I've found a place that does custom work cheaper and better than I've seen anybody sell 'em for

SVXRide 12-12-2005 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob
Word of caution. We have the one's that Dalye sells on our race car. THEY ARE DEFINATELY NOT RACE QUALTIY. The brackets were broken within 2 weeks of installation and I really never noticed a bit of difference. Granted we actually have freash fluid in ours and we weigh less but not a single bit of difference. Will get 'em made by a professional local shop next time as I've found a place that does custom work cheaper and better than I've seen anybody sell 'em for

"Ben&Dave's SS brakelines" - not available in stores....act now, have your credit card ready.... :p :cool:
-Bill