The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   ID mystery sensor please (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62388)

ShaneHobson 12-24-2013 08:15 PM

ID mystery sensor please

1 Attachment(s)
While pulling the oxygen sensors off my parts car I found two more sensors that don't appears in either of my parts book.

Attached photo shows my spare exhaust system, looking down from above with rear end at the top of the photo.

I've ID'd the two oxygen sensors toward the front of the car (bottom of photo) (please someone correct me if I'm wrong).

But the other two sensors higher up the photo (towards the back of the car) aren't shown in either of my parts book.
Can someone tell me what they are please ?

It's a JDM car.

Thanks, Shane

92 SVX 12-24-2013 09:32 PM

Re: ID mystery sensor please

What year is the car, I believe the 96/97 cars with OBD2 have a second o2 sensor after the cats for emission reasons.

ShaneHobson 12-24-2013 10:04 PM

Built 1991, first registered Feb 1992.

SilverSpear 12-24-2013 11:51 PM

Weird... either JDM or USDM, never knew the SVX might be having more than 3. Mine even has none!

Was your JDM first sold in New Zealand? Maybe they had certain type of environmental restrictions at that time. I suggest you contact the dealership and ask them about it.

ShaneHobson 12-25-2013 12:40 AM

My mistake, not first registered in NZ 1992, imported second hand into NZ after being driven around Japan for several years.
Some of the details are unknown because I bought the car with no registration plates (cheap = parts car).

Just trying to find the chassis number for it.

Are the bulges in the exhaust that the extra sensors fitted into catalytic converters ?

The extra sensors are different from the lower oxygen sensors. Different way of fitting into the exhaust. They are seized in and so haven't removed one yet.

The parts books I have don't show pics of the extra sensors.
I should crawl under my other cars for a look, but suspect I'll have to jack them up to see properly.

bishop 12-25-2013 01:31 AM

EGT sensors possibly?

fasteract7 12-25-2013 01:59 AM

EGT...that would be my guess too, particularly with the SS braided pigtail.

ShaneHobson 12-25-2013 10:39 AM

Photo of VIN plate is attached.

Model : CXDA25E
Option : DYC
EG33DDX1DE
TZ102YL1AA

Both engine & trans are now running in my daily driver.
It's my DD that is showing occasional CEL which is apparently due to rear oxygen sensor.

paddlesnz 12-25-2013 12:48 PM

On JDM models I believe they are temperature sensors to warn if the catalytic converters overheat.