The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   winshield (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32013)

19svx94 03-11-2006 01:15 AM

winshield

does anyone know a place that makes an aftermarket windshield, a crazy homless lady broke mine and the cost at the dealer is about a 1000 dollars, my local shops cant get a hold of any.

ensteele 03-11-2006 08:59 AM

There are no after market ones yet. MotorSports is looking into it, but doesn't have them yet. That is about your only option - the dealrer and they don't come cheap. :(

spinn360 03-11-2006 08:07 PM

Those dang Crazy homeless ladies. What you do to piss her off? ;)

ensteele 03-11-2006 09:37 PM

It doesn't take much!!! :rolleyes: :(

dannmarr 03-11-2006 10:14 PM

Allstate covered my windshield when it cracked from a stone. The auto glass company gave me the invoice, it was only 300 Dollars and it looks great. The previous owner had it replaced for a 100 dollars from a junk yard. Check your yellow pages under auto glass.

19svx94 03-13-2006 10:04 PM

i only have liability on my car saying as i am 17 years old and my insurance is crazy on this car even with no accidents or tickets, i have tried a few auto glass places and they have had no luck, what is the name of the place you got yours at, and where are they located at??, btw the lady was simply insane she was about 20 ft away from me crossing the street while i was waiting at a red light, i was inching forward as she was almost past my car and she acted like i tried to hit her, she then hit my windshield with a metal mug, i almost killed her by running her over but my friend quickly talked some sense into me saying as its not worth going to jail over a windshield.

dannmarr 03-13-2006 10:31 PM

Diamond auto glass, New Jersey.

intelisevil 03-14-2006 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannmarr
Diamond auto glass, New Jersey.

They have access to windshield glass for our cars for only $300? I wonder where they get it from?

I currently have a 24-30" crack in my Teal, I'm waiting until the end of ski season to get it replaced. As long as the roads are being 'sanded' with chunks of rock, there is no reason to risk killing two windshields in the same season.

19svx94 03-18-2006 12:37 AM

i live in the san diego area and the diamond auto glass in my area cant get a hold of the windshield so i am going to try the east coast and see if they can get one and i will pay the shipping here

Jade Dragon 03-18-2006 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intelisevil
I currently have a 24-30" crack in my Teal, I'm waiting until the end of ski season to get it replaced. As long as the roads are being 'sanded' with chunks of rock, there is no reason to risk killing two windshields in the same season.

I agree with you. seeing as how is still "winter" here (yay for colorado...) im gonna wait to get a new one. i have a crack all across the bottom, and then one form top to bottom right in my view...

michael 03-18-2006 09:04 AM

Did you post in the svx parts wanted section? With so many cars parted out, someone has to have a windshield.

AppStateSVX 03-18-2006 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael
Did you post in the svx parts wanted section? With so many cars parted out, someone has to have a windshield.

getting it out is the hard part, something about the gasket makes it VERY prone to breaking. BE CAREFUL. broken windshields suck. IMHO, every SVX owner should have glass coverage

19svx94 03-27-2006 09:32 PM

so i called diamond auto glass and basically they are nation wide but particularly in california there are only three major manufacturers of windsheilds and they cant make the svx windshield, thus i will have to try to find one out of state and pay the massive shipping here

Jade Dragon 03-28-2006 12:51 AM

We should all find a windshield manufacture and get enough support to have them start producing the glass at a better cost to us. i dont like the idea of droping 1k on a piece of safty glass. yeah i have glass coverage, but still id like to find a place to get it at better cost than from subaru. (shakes fist at FHI) damn you for making such a wonderful car with parts that cost an A$$ load. grrr:mad:

dcarrb 03-28-2006 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannmarr
Allstate covered my windshield when it cracked from a stone. The auto glass company gave me the invoice, it was only 300 Dollars and it looks great. The previous owner had it replaced for a 100 dollars from a junk yard. Check your yellow pages under auto glass.

But that $300 was for repairing the crack and not for replacing the entire windshield, correct?

dcb