The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Water Water everywhere... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55807)

Hocrest 10-26-2010 04:46 PM

Water Water everywhere...

... I think I need a drink. :(

Many here know that Melis and I bought a house a few months ago and have been working on it, hoping to be moved in by Thanksgiving.

I get there this morning to get things ready to spray primer through the downstairs. As I'm gathering things out of my car, I think I hear water running :eek:. I drop it all and grab the keys to get inside, as soon as I open the side door, I see water running down the stairs from the first floor into the basement. I jump down into the flooded (2") basement and get the main shut off.

Yesterday, I stopped by the house in the morning and then was out of town all day. Sometime after I was there, the supply line for the toilet on the 2nd floor came apart... There was a river coming out of the 2nd floor BR feeding into the hall and all three bedrooms. From there it was running through the floor into the downstairs. kitchen, dining room, living room...

Now for the good news, the floors are still just plywood and the walls are bare drywall. Melis got out of work and Kimi and her fiancée came over. I got a "bagster" and we got all the wet dry wall out. So far it seems like the only damage is to the drywall in the downstairs. That's all out in the bagster and I got a heater to hopefully dry out the plywood.

Ugh...

TomsSVX 10-26-2010 04:57 PM

Re: Water Water everywhere...

That.... sucks the big one... Sorry man... Lemme know if you guys ever need a hand out there... Golf season is coming to a close and my weekends are gonna be open again:D

Tom

benebob 10-26-2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 661324)
... I think I need a drink. :(

At least you have plenty of water for that drink!;)

Hocrest 10-26-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob (Post 661327)
At least you have plenty of water for that drink!;)

And much like a fine Bourbon, it has picked up the scents and flavors of the wood as it filtered through. :cool:

Tom, whenever you want to escape Jersey, let us know...

subeman90 10-26-2010 05:31 PM

sorry to hear man. that f-in sucks. That is one of my worst fears to come home to. If you happen to put a work party together in the near future keep us in mind.

subi-crosser 10-26-2010 05:44 PM

I had a minor-similar situation a few weeks ago! The street in front of my house got new water mains this month. I had a minor problem with the kitchen sink blowing the bottom out of the faucet while I was at work. My neighbor had 3 feet of water in his basement due to his feed line breaking.
I replaced EVERY pipe in this shack before I turned the water on 24 years ago. That includes the one from the meter!
Good luck, Dave!

Hocrest 10-26-2010 05:52 PM

Yeah, I've already replaced almost all of the copper with PEX. The only copper supply lines remaining go to the 2nd floor bath. I didn't think it was worth ripping out the walls and ceilings to replace it. Now that the walls and ceilings are out, I'll be adding that copper to the scrap pile and running PEX for there as well.

TomsSVX 10-26-2010 08:13 PM

Yea Dave, throw a work party, get us all out to pitch in:D

Tom

huck369 10-27-2010 04:58 AM

I hate to hear this Dave/Melis....hope it all drys out OK, and wish I was closer to lend a hand...

SomethingElse 10-27-2010 05:36 AM

if you hold a mini meet im sure you can get a few ppl out there...Turkey Carve?

Hocrest 10-28-2010 05:01 AM

The walls and ceiling are clear of wet drywall and nails/screws. :)
The plywood is mostly all dry with no buckling. :)
All of the copper supply has been replaced with PEX. :)
The toilet supply valve is on the right side :D
I want to give another week for everything to air out, then it's time to hang sheetrock :(

Cam 10-28-2010 12:29 PM

Meh, I hate doing sheetrock. I'd rather roof (not everyday you hear that statement)

sicksubie 10-28-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam (Post 661480)
Meh, I hate doing sheetrock. I'd rather roof (not everyday you hear that statement)

Ditto, I have done a lot of both and would take roofing 10 times out of 10.

B 4 You 10-28-2010 03:15 PM

"wet dry wall."

oxymoron, made me laugh.

:lol:

Hocrest 11-03-2010 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subeman90 (Post 661331)
If you happen to put a work party together in the near future keep us in mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 661345)
Yea Dave, throw a work party, get us all out to pitch in:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomethingElse (Post 661375)
if you hold a mini meet im sure you can get a few ppl out there...Turkey Carve?

If anyone wants to help hang sheetrock on Sunday let me know... :D