The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   "While you're down there..." Suggestions? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45073)

Knightwulf 06-09-2008 06:23 PM

"While you're down there..." Suggestions?

So, I've decided to keep the '97 and try to get her into the condition I was told she was in when I bought her.

I am not a mechanic, by any stretch, but I have a friend who's going to be putting in the new tranny. He's going to be checking what he can whilst she's apart. I'm looking for minor upgrade suggestions and stuff for him to check for.

Minor upgrades:

Tranny cooler
Custom Dropping Resistor Mod from SVXFiles
Complete Brake Upgrade Package from SVXFiles (SS lines, Raceconcepts dimpled/slotted rotors & pads)
15 & 20 min mods from SVXFiles
Upgraded F & R swaybar bushings from SVXFiles

Other fixes:

0² Sensors
Replacing wheel bearings
Replacing the receiver/dryer
Replace tranny filter & pan gasket

The upgrades I'm referring to are more along the lines of improving on what's already there for greater reliability and longevity, rather than performance mods.

Anything else I should consider upgrading or having him check for?

All suggestions welcome and appreciated! Thanks!

TomsSVX 06-09-2008 06:32 PM

Replace the tranny filter and pan gasket. Use some good synthetic ATF like Mobil 1 or Amsoil. Sounds like a good plan... BTW there are 3 02 sensors BUT the 3rd one is different than the front 2.

Good luck!

Tom

Knightwulf 06-09-2008 06:44 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, Tom!

Knightwulf 06-12-2008 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 551304)
Replace the tranny filter and pan gasket. Use some good synthetic ATF like Mobil 1 or Amsoil. Sounds like a good plan... BTW there are 3 02 sensors BUT the 3rd one is different than the front 2.

Good luck!

Tom

Tom, I bought 2x of the Walker O² sensors from Amazon. You mentioned the 3rd one was different, can you tell me where I'd find one?

TomsSVX 06-12-2008 11:08 AM

you might check the local auto part stores for the rear 02 sensor but I am guessing it may be a dealer only item

Tom

Speedklix 06-12-2008 05:57 PM

Re: "While you're down there..." Suggestions?

...no engine work? you might as well do the triple charged EZ30 swap while you're at it. :D

...really this is reminding me of all the things I have been putting off doing to one of my other cars :rolleyes:

Knightwulf 06-12-2008 06:18 PM

Well... So far I've ordered:

Transmission filter kit (filter, gasket & O-ring)
A/C Receiver/Drier
Smallcar Shift Kit
The brake upgrade package from SVXfiles (Full set of rotors, pads and stainless lines)
The 15-minute mod
The 20-minute mod
Modified Dropping Resistor
2x Walker 250-23083 3 Wire O² Sensors
...and a rebuilt transmission off of eBay

Waiting for my mechanic to take her apart to see if I need anything else, though I'm thinking the timing belt (...and the water pump, as has been suggested with the timing kit) should be swapped as well, as my '97 came with next-to-no records.

kwren 06-13-2008 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knightwulf (Post 551700)
You mentioned the 3rd one was different, can you tell me where I'd find one?

Might check a little farther back on the exhaust pipe?

Keith:)

SVXRide 06-13-2008 04:51 AM

three things:

1. I'm not convinced running the small car shift kit and the modified dropping resistor together is necessarily a good thing. I'd stick with just the modified resistor

2. the third 02 sensor should be just aft of the secondary cat (it's purpose is really just to confirm that the two primary 02 sensors are doing their jobs)

3. front and rear sway bar bushings! Check with SVXFiles on these.

-Bill

Knightwulf 06-13-2008 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 551789)
Might check a little farther back on the exhaust pipe?

Thanks Keith... I'll let my guy know. :)

Moreover though, I was looking for some information on what and where to purchase one... I was able to glean information regarding the main sensors off the forum and purchase accordingly.

Quote:

three things:

1. I'm not convinced running the small car shift kit and the modified dropping resistor together is necessarily a good thing. I'd stick with just the modified resistor

2. the third 02 sensor should be just aft of the secondary cat (it's purpose is really just to confirm that the two primary 02 sensors are doing their jobs)

3. front and rear sway bar bushings! Check with SVXFiles on these.

-Bill
Bill, much appreciated on the advice... I'm wholly clueless and armed with plastic. I'll see if I can cancel the Smallcar.

I'll touch base with SVXfiles on the bushings. Already purchased most everything else he offers on his site... ;)

kwren 06-13-2008 12:12 PM

I second the small car shift kit !!!

not a good thing,,,CANCEL it...

Knightwulf 06-13-2008 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 551840)
I second the small car shift kit !!!

not a good thing,,,CANCEL it...

Quote:

Dear Knightwulf,

Small Car Performance (smallcar@smallcar.com) has issued you a full or partial refund for your payment.

Done and done.

Tremec 06-15-2008 05:58 AM

Ok I have done a search for the 20 min mod and the 15 n=min mod and find 1000's posts in the search but not the mods what/where are they?

svxfiles 06-15-2008 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tremec (Post 552022)
Ok I have done a search for the 20 min mod and the 15 n=min mod and find 1000's posts in the search but not the mods what/where are they?

The fifteen minute mod thread is shown here.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...een+Minute+Mod
The Twenty Minute Mod is just some thicker than stock, self lubricating bronze bushings wrapped in a layered tubular elastomer, (5/8" heater hose), that you install on the rear anti-sway bar to replace the very soft and unresponsive ends, bolted in with much thicker allen head bolts and self locking nuts.
Thread is here.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ute+Mod&page=2
Both with some poly front and rear bushings will make a marked differance in your handling and turn in!
Tom

svxfiles 06-15-2008 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knightwulf (Post 551299)
Minor upgrades:

Tranny cooler
Smallcar Shift Kit
Stainless steel brakelines

Other fixes:

0² Sensors (how many of these are there again?)
Replacing rotors and pads
Replacing wheel bearings
Replacing the receiver/dryer
Replace tranny filter & pan gasket
Anything else I should consider upgrading or having him check for?

All suggestions welcome and appreciated! Thanks!

If I had the engine or transmission out, and both the time and the means,
I would change out the engine rear main seal, reseal the separator plate,
the engine intake manifold gaskets, the under manifold gaskets, all of the under manifold hoses, the valve cover gaskets, but all of this takes time, and time = money.
What is your budget?
Tom

BTW, Advance Auto Parts uses the same part # for their Bosch front and rear O2 sensors.;)