The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Exterior Car Care Products (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Black Magic car wax sucks! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34008)

boundsie 07-02-2006 08:58 PM

Black Magic car wax sucks!

So I read in my Consumer Reports that this "Black Magic" car wax is the #1 wax in their tests so like the mindless little peon that I am, I dutifully go out and buy some. Today I give the old Suby a thorough bath and try out the new wax. I should have greased the paint because it would have been easier to buff off. Basically, it leaves an oily mess. I've tried a lot of waxes with good and bad results but this stuff sets the standard in bad results. I'm sticking with my old tried and true Meguiers products from now on. Just a note to save somebody else from making a mess of their car with Black Magic wax. I should know better than to trust Consumer Reports on anything automotive. Vent, vent. Aahhhhhh! I feel better now.

Budfreak 07-02-2006 09:03 PM

You must have done something terribly wrong then. I've used black magic on mine lots of times with no problems at all. It shines up beautifully. Try turtle wax platinum. It's like baby lotion and comes off very easy with no mess.

Speedklix 07-02-2006 10:02 PM

Sounds like a stupid question, but are you sure it was their "car wax"? I used the wax on someone else's car once (also their wax) and it worked great! I wouldn't say it is number one, but still... went on easy, came off easy, looked great. I ussually use megs myself though.

Landshark 07-03-2006 12:15 AM

Meguiar's NXT Tech wax FTW. let it sit on the car overnight, comes off easily, and acts as more of a polish and sealant than just a wax. great stuff.

Amazonparrot 07-03-2006 07:56 AM

Yeah...thats stuff is like trying to get pine sap off of your car...took me all damn day

gest24 07-03-2006 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark
Meguiar's NXT Tech wax FTW. let it sit on the car overnight, comes off easily, and acts as more of a polish and sealant than just a wax. great stuff.

I tried NXT on my last wash and wax. The stuff is great. Hit it with the cleaner wax first then the NXT seals and shines.

Speedklix 07-03-2006 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gest24
I tried NXT on my last wash and wax. The stuff is great. Hit it with the cleaner wax first then the NXT seals and shines.

what i do when I wash it once a year :rolleyes:

immortal_suby 07-03-2006 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark

that wax is awesome.
comes off so easy it is unbelievable.

Myetball 07-04-2006 06:59 PM

If your paint job is in rough shape or you have a good amount of old wax buildup, some wax will stick like glue. Try buffing the paint out with a good polishing compound to get all the crap off the paint first.

I've tried the black magic wax after polishing and it was still a pain. After wearing out my joints I finally got the greasy streaks to stop and it shined up real nice. However, I wouldn't recommend it as there are much easier waxes to work with.

Earthworm 07-04-2006 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myetball
However, I wouldn't recommend it as there are much easier waxes to work with.

Yeah...I just learned about this stuff last weekend:

http://www.fastwax.com/

(I love the actual product name)

Myetball 07-04-2006 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
Yeah...I just learned about this stuff last weekend:

http://www.fastwax.com/

(I love the actual product name)

:D Fukken Wax

Too Funny!

SVXMAN2001 07-05-2006 07:06 AM

not to hijack this thread, but it is a wax related question....Does leaving the wax on for a longer period of time have any significant benefit? I usually just wait 5-10 min till it pastes over into and then take it off...

nordique14 07-05-2006 10:58 AM

I didn't have any problem with the Black Magic wax. It was a little more difficult to remove than the Zymol wax I used last time but not that bad. I tried it as Consumer Reports says it is easy to remove from plastic (I waxed my other car that has a ton of plastic on the doors and bumpers). It certainly was plastic friendly and made life easy for me in that respect. I did use it on a white car which can hide the white wax reside unless you are careful.

The big thing to remember is to apply the wax in the shade. I also use several microfiber cloths to remove the wax. They need to changed frequently so you are not just pushing around the wax. I ended up using 5 of them.

gest24 07-05-2006 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordique14
The big thing to remember is to apply the wax in the shade. I also use several microfiber cloths to remove the wax. They need to changed frequently so you are not just pushing around the wax. I ended up using 5 of them.

Same here, just got doing my black bits and rims. Even with only doing those small areas I went through 3 towels.

dcarrb 07-05-2006 12:36 PM

Black Magic wax left streaks and swirls in the areas on my car's roof where the clearcoat is becoming hazy. Okay, so that's not the fault of the product but it's probably relevant to this crowd.

dcb