The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Mods (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   TB Bypass Complete...WOW (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26388)

TomsSVX 05-24-2005 01:25 PM

TB Bypass Complete...WOW

Holy crapola!! I never thought this simple mod would od this. The car is much more "froggy" than ever before. It justaround and has plenty of power throuhgout the revband. I dunno if it is because of the 5speed or what but Ill tell ya what, I am not dissapointed at all.

Tom

sicksubie 05-24-2005 01:40 PM

Uhmmmm

What exactly did you do?

Hocrest 05-24-2005 01:42 PM

Did you put in the valve that you mentioned or just the "bypass" for now?

If you did the valve, care to share the details? Pics? Or do I have to come to Atco next week to see it in person?

Earthworm 05-24-2005 01:43 PM

Was your testing on a cold engine? Can you define "froggy"?

freak customs 05-24-2005 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicksubie
What exactly did you do?

inquiring minds wanna know :)

Chiketkd 05-24-2005 07:45 PM

Tell us more Tom... ;)

-Chike

TomsSVX 05-24-2005 08:06 PM

Well th TB bypass, bypasses coolant flow around the TB to keep it cooler in summer weather. Origonally designed to keep the TB plates from freezing in cold weather it acts as a damper in the summer by keeping the throttle bodies warm which in turn warms up the air moving into the engine. Not something you want if you are looking for a good air/fuel mix.

To complete the bypass, you simply need a 3/8" ID hight temp hose about 8-12"long and two hose barbs. Simply run the barb from the original, that is now disconnected, to the new peice and then run the new peice to the other original line on the other side of the TB. It bypasses the TB but does not obstruct the flow.

I did not use the valves....yet, I need to pick up the right ones. There will be 3 valves Two on the hoses routed to the TB and one on the Bypass hose that is there now. In summer the two on the TB will be closed and the one on the bypass opened. In the winter, the two on the TB will be opened and the bypass hose closed. A very simple setup will work well for a guy like me.

Froggy- To tend to jump or being quick to react. I mean to say that it has much more spunk and it will get up and go from low RPMs and remains more powerful thoughout the revband. Much like the engine were cold. I have no #'s from a dyno but I have noticed quite an improvement in throttle response at the car's capabilities to grunt down low in the rpms. The engine was at full running tempurature for at least 20 mins so it was running as hot as I will usually get it this time of year(don't drive very far anymore).

Hope this helps...you can also search a post made by Iggdawg that has a compelte writup and he has pics in his locker.

Tom

Budfreak 05-24-2005 09:58 PM

i did a few threads about this too. it worked great for me! like tom said much more throttle response. why did you need the extra piece of hose tom? i just got 1 3/8 barbed fitting and two hose clamps and connected the two lines together. ALL SVX OWNERS SHOULD DO THIS MOD!:D

SVXRide 05-25-2005 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomssvx
*snip*

I did not use the valves....yet, I need to pick up the right ones. There will be 3 valves Two on the hoses routed to the TB and one on the Bypass hose that is there now. In summer the two on the TB will be closed and the one on the bypass opened. In the winter, the two on the TB will be opened and the bypass hose closed. A very simple setup will work well for a guy like me.

*snip*
Tom

Tom,
are you going to have room for all of these valves?
-Bill

TomsSVX 05-25-2005 11:43 AM

I wil definately have room for the valves. I know I can do it with just two but I do not know the flow pattern for sure so this way I can isolate it better. I used the extra line so in the future I can operate the valve setup I mentioned earlier.

Tom

Myxalplyx 05-26-2005 04:35 PM

Ahhh, now that makes sense. Throttle response has increase due to less heat being injected into the cylinder head at low speeds. At higher speeds, the throttle body doesn't have as much time to heat up since the air rushing in allows less time for that area to heat up.

If I can find the before and after heat transfer results from an old post, I'll post up a link. Someone graphed the results of this mod at the I-club and NASIOC. It was interesting.

So you are going up to Atco? I need to ride up in 'Nightrider' (My FWD XT6) to see you in action. Perhaps a friendly challenge is on order. ;)

Myxalplyx 05-26-2005 07:52 PM

The Post

I found the Post at I-club I was referring too.
T/B Coolant Bypass

Here is the graphed before and after temperature drop result of a T/B bypass mod.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/attachmen...chmentid=20098

http://www.rs25.com/forums/attachmen...chmentid=20099

n00b on demand 05-26-2005 09:09 PM

Hey Tom hook a brotha up! :D

TomsSVX 05-27-2005 12:37 AM

Of course I am going to Atco... sure a little competition is welcomed as Jesse is gonna blow me outta the water with an N/A 6mt run let alone him playing with the funny stuff...

Yea Tom. we can do it, only takes 5 mins or so.

Tom

UberRoo 05-27-2005 02:06 AM

You only need one valve. All you need to do is stop the flow. A heavy clothespin would probably do it.