The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rain in the trunk.... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11710)

TonyShaleUK 07-01-2003 01:21 AM

Rain in the trunk....

Not very technical, but still bl**dy annoying! Jap import car, no sunroof.

Had a bad leak in the boot a month or so ago with torrential rain. Thought the seal was leaking, so adjusted the trunk lid to close tighter. Problem solved...until yesterday! More water inside...

The water is on the LHS between the rear arch and tail light trim (where the UK CD player fits). The vertical trim all around here was wet for an inch or so from the bottom, but nothing obvious around the trunk seals showing where water getting in. The car was parked on a small incline, nose down, so the water could be getting in from the rear and moving down.

Any known problems here?? Thanks in anticipation...

Andy 07-01-2003 01:55 AM

Sounds like the usual problem Tony, The seal around the rear light cluster has probably gone.

A common fix is to swap over the seals L to R, an easier way is to reseal with silicone. Mine was cured 90% by simply removing the cluster and refitting it after wiping the seal. I run the a/c all of the time and that deals with the other 10%.

svxistentialist 07-01-2003 08:07 AM

Andy is probably right here Tony.

A good way to find out is to fold down the back seat. Take off the two bulb access covers left and right.

Now lie into the boot with a torch while a friend directs water at pressure on the rear lights clusters. You will see where the leak is then.

Joe

RSVX 07-01-2003 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by svxistentialist

Now lie into the boot with a torch while a friend directs water at pressure on the rear lights clusters. You will see where the leak is then.

Joe

A TORCH!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I know, I know, different word for the type of light, but I couldnt resist commenting :)

svxistentialist 07-01-2003 09:14 AM

Eh Chris,

Youse guys don't have no boot anyhow!

;) :D :D

ensteele 07-01-2003 09:28 AM

Quote:

covers left and right.

Now lie into the boot with a torch .......
Joe

I thought you were installing those "Hooked Up" Vents for a minute. Hey, maybe a Hooked Up Vent would solve the problem! :D

RSVX 07-01-2003 10:40 AM

Quote:

Eh Chris,

Youse guys don't have no boot anyhow!

;) :D :D

:) I spent 2 years in England, so I know what a Boot, Bonnet, and a Tyre is.. ;)

STORMINORMAN 07-01-2003 11:37 AM

Rain in Trunk? 1st thing to do...

... is CLOSE IT!

Seriously, the other possible route of water entry (if no sunroof) is the side glass. Usually, as has been previously indicated, it is the tail light assys...

Cheers, Guv'nor!

TonyShaleUK 07-04-2003 02:05 PM

I'll get the snorkel ready...

Thanks for the help guys - I tried the 'close the trunk' suggestion, but still no change!!

I'm away for a few days now, after which I'll get the hose out and try the seals.

floatingkiwi 07-06-2003 04:37 AM

I guarantee..

that I can solve your problem!!. I did a post on this a while ago but I think I was mistaken for the usual "fog in the rear lights"deal.
Anyway, it seems that the robots that do the Jap imports have been hammering the bit where the rear light bolts go through with too much force, deforming the surface, and after a while the seal around the lights seems to go (as you've found out!).

Fix:

1)Remove both rear light clusters and seals. You need to take off the nuts from the inside.
2)Use a panel hammer to just slightly true-up the seal mounting surface on the body of the car, you'll see it's a bit dented at the spots where the bolts go through.
3)Remount the seals with a little bit of sealant, and do the clusters back up nice and firm, don't cut the seal!
4)At the same time, check around the little plastic body-plug thingees under the lights on both sides (big square-ish shaped plugs that go into the rear bumper area). A little bit of silicone around these will stop any seepage that (may) be coming from these as well.
5) enjoy your now dry car......

Matt