The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   airflow? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50465)

jamhamm 06-02-2009 12:56 PM

airflow?

how do you get air into this car...?

honestly... its 75 outside and stifling in my svx - even with the windows down...

the vent and econ options just blow hot air around the car...

STeeL25T 06-02-2009 01:05 PM

Re: airflow?

My 96 was like that. I had a hole in my freon line.

jamhamm 06-02-2009 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STeeL25T (Post 603642)
My 96 was like that. I had a hole in my freon line.

my ac works fine though

on actual hot days [85+] i pop it on and out comes the cold stuff

im talking about the normal non ac days - its always hotter in the car than it should be because of all the glass and the way the windows are made

would heavy tint on the windows help?

redlightningsvx 06-02-2009 02:52 PM

35% tint should keep a good bit of the UV rays out of the car. You can also crack your windows a couple hours before you get into it and open the sunroof. Also if you want a good bit of airflow when driving without a/c just put the rear windows down, it cools it a good bit.

SVXRide 06-02-2009 03:13 PM

open the sunroof so the back tilts up
-B

Freeman 06-02-2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXRide (Post 603654)
open the sunroof so the back tilts up
-B

+1 All I can do since my damn A/C is broken...

SVXyGirl 06-02-2009 04:35 PM

Try having no AC and only one window and the sunroof works. I've been pretty miserable driving the claret lately. (in 90 some degree weather today) :mad::(

PDSides 06-02-2009 07:31 PM

Lowering the rear windows is critical to getting air circulating in the car. With only the front side windows down you get high pressure buildup in the rear that will effectively keep air out of the car. Lower the rear windows as well and the air flows more effectively. Noise will greatly increase, so if it bothers you try lowing the rear windows only an inch or so. By the way, to more quickly clear hot air from the car, open the sun roof to tilt (or about six inches), then lower the rear windows and drive 30 mph or faster. The hot air will be drawn out the rear windows. Much more effective than lowering only the front side windows.
Preston

PaulDexler 06-02-2009 10:48 PM

The day I collected my SVX from its previous owner in August of 2007, we were in a long heat wave, with temperatures in triple digits all up and down the West coast. It was 103 when I left Solana Beach at noon and launched northward on I-5. A much needed lunch stop put me put me into Oceanside at 1:30, with traffic building up. The P.O. warned me that the A/C did not work, so I lowered all the windows, tilted up the sunroof, and was on my (not so merry) way. Lots of air moved through the car. It was all hot air, but at least it was moving, so long as I was moving. Long stretches of not moving while passing through downtown Los Angeles were unpleasant, to say the least. But I got it home, and the following week the A/C was fixed, and it works to this day. So yes, lower ALL the windows, and tilt the sunroof, and you will at least have air moving through the cabin.
Paul

SURTEESS 06-03-2009 12:24 AM

you could also go looking for one of those rear shelf blowers - I got mine from a wrecked SVX (JDM import) here in NZ for NZ$100 including wiring harness & timer module, wiring plug fits between fan relay under glove box - sort of t-junction.

Oh it is "cool" sitting at the lights with windows up & sunroof closed and a 2 speed blower creating a cool breeze behind the ears !!!!

SVX_MY_BABY 06-03-2009 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDSides (Post 603675)
Lowering the rear windows is critical to getting air circulating in the car.

+1 to this with the sun roof open. Works fine for me up to about 90 km/h after which it can get a bit noisy.

SubaruSVXCrazy 06-03-2009 11:49 AM

AC is the only way out! :D

1986nate 06-03-2009 04:57 PM

I don't have a/c in my car and by the way the weather has been so far here, doesn't seem like I'll be needing it. There are frost advisories for tonight here:eek: I'd really like to know when this global warming is going to actually take affect...

I just usually put all windows down and it feels alright.

Freeman 06-04-2009 10:11 PM

I could use help with getting my drivers side rear window down. Won't budge.

mikecg 06-05-2009 09:16 AM

I have window tint. I put all 4 windows down and drive really fast.