The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Transmission shift program review (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54776)

poweredx2 06-08-2010 08:54 AM

Transmission shift program review

Having a fwd svx means I will always get the good stuff last.I've had my reprogrammed tcu for a few weeks now very impressed overall.I got my shift points increased to 7000rpm in each gear.Torque converter lockup occurs now in 1st thru 3rd and there is a slight acceleration difference.Manual mode is great,now when you shift in manual mode regardless of throttle position you get upshifts whereas before if you were in second and floored and shifted to third at say 4000 the car would continue to 6500 and shift.I was trying to wait to purchase a svx afm before getting some track numbers but last thursday night my 1/8 mile did dropped from 9.63 to a 9.58@72.6 mph 1/4 was 15.0 @90mph.I think the legacy meter does lose power up top.I use to run 93 to 94 mph.Also that was with my accy belts off.I ran the 15 flat with a off idle launch with all accessory belts on so I feel the car is very 14.7 capable.The car is turning 7000 rpm right at the finish line in second gear,also I have to put my car in D1 and into manual for max performance.I will get another tcu done later with 7200 rpm in each gear.I still have a Quickshift install also,driving range is still around 385-400 miles with the cruise on 70mph.Again I am very impressed with the mod.

Wikedjuggalo 06-08-2010 08:56 AM

Re: Transmission shift program review

Quote:

Originally Posted by poweredx2 (Post 649512)
Having a fwd svx means I will always get the good stuff last.I've had my reprogrammed tcu for a few weeks now very impressed overall.I got my shift points increased to 7000rpm in each gear.Torque converter lockup occurs now in 1st thru 3rd and there is a slight acceleration difference.Manual mode is great,now when you shift in manual mode regardless of throttle position you get upshifts whereas before if you were in second and floored and shifted to third at say 4000 the car would continue to 6500 and shift.I was trying to wait to purchase a svx afm before getting some track numbers but last thursday night my 1/8 mile did dropped from 9.63 to a 9.58@72.6 mph 1/4 was 15.0 @90mph.I think the legacy meter does lose power up top.I use to run 93 to 94 mph.Also that was with my accy belts off.I ran the 15 flat with a off idle launch with all accessory belts on so I feel the car is very 14.7 capable.The car is turning 7000 rpm right at the finish line in second gear,also I have to put my car in D1 and into manual for max performance.I will get another tcu done later with 7200 rpm in each gear.I still have a Quickshift install also,driving range is still around 385-400 miles with the cruise on 70mph.Again I am very impressed with the mod.

I predict a differential or transmission issue in your future :o

Freeman 06-08-2010 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo (Post 649513)
I predict a differential or transmission issue in your future :o

Great, way to ruin his day, jerk...

I was going to tell him the same thing, lol.

Lookin4SVX 06-08-2010 09:50 AM

"I have to put my car in D1 and into manual for max performance."

I thought manual mode just makes it NOT use first gear?

What happens when you put the selector in 1 and push manual?

You manually move the shifter from 1 to 2 to 3?

1986nate 06-08-2010 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX (Post 649515)
"I have to put my car in D1 and into manual for max performance."

I thought manual mode just makes it NOT use first gear?

What happens when you put the selector in 1 and push manual?

It will hold first gear until 6500 RPM or something around there and then it will override it into 2nd.

Lookin4SVX 06-08-2010 10:00 AM

Doesn't it hold first till redline then shift to second without the manual button being on also?

I thought manual mode made the car always want to be in second gear...I got a lot to learn about this tranny.
Hopefully it will die soon and I can go back to a 5 speed.

1986nate 06-08-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX (Post 649517)
Doesn't it hold first till redline then shift to second without the manual button being on also?

I thought manual mode made the car always want to be in second gear...I got a lot to learn about this tranny.
Hopefully it will die soon and I can go back to a 5 speed.

Yes to your first question, and only in the "2" position or higher with manual depressed will it never go into 1st gear. If you don't believe me, play around and have some fun. And if you prove me wrong, all I have to say is its been almost 2 years since I last checked it all out. Although, I could check it out in 1 of the 2 SVX sitting in front of my house:p:D

poweredx2 06-08-2010 12:05 PM

Well out of the 14 years of ownership I have never blew a diff on motor.Twice I blew them on nos with drag radials,the first was trying to backup a 13 second pass years ago.Since then I have always used royal purple gear lube great stuff.To answer another question I put the car in D1 and push the manual button and the car will shift each gear at 7000rpm shift and constant 2.2 60ft times not bad for a heavy fwd car.This was just a little review I did for some guys that did some good work on my TCU.Also this car don't see much track time now because I know what a properly prepped svx will do high 14s on motor and 13s with forced induction.My daily driver is a 88 toyota pickup while svx get driven about twice a month.

Wikedjuggalo 06-08-2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poweredx2 (Post 649522)
Well out of the 14 years of ownership I have never blew a diff on motor.Twice I blew them on nos with drag radials,the first was trying to backup a 13 second pass years ago.Since then I have always used royal purple gear lube great stuff.To answer another question I put the car in D1 and push the manual button and the car will shift each gear at 7000rpm shift and constant 2.2 60ft times not bad for a heavy fwd car.This was just a little review I did for some guys that did some good work on my TCU.Also this car don't see much track time now because I know what a properly prepped svx will do high 14s on motor and 13s with forced induction.My daily driver is a 88 toyota pickup while svx get driven about twice a month.

Ask me how I know about front diffs being broke on FWD. All i was stating is regardless of what gear oil you use you use the manual button like that you will have issues. I am glad you are enjoying the SVX I was just attempting to warn you that will break something.

b3lha 06-08-2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poweredx2 (Post 649512)
I've had my reprogrammed tcu for a few weeks now very impressed overall.
Again I am very impressed with the mod.

I'm glad you're pleased with it.:)

immortal_suby 06-08-2010 07:14 PM

Walter has been dragging that svx for many years now and still holds the fastest FWD svx 1/4 mile record. He's well aware that what he's doing might or might not break something more.

Thanks for the review. One of these days I'll make it back to the other greenville and we'll have to meet up again :)

Wikedjuggalo 06-08-2010 07:36 PM

My apologies if what I said came off rude. If you know what you are doing then have fun :D. I was looking into getting an upgraded TCU for FWD before the 5spd. I'd like to see your run one day. Greenville is only 2hrs away.

poweredx2 06-08-2010 08:57 PM

No offense was taken at all.I was going to make a trip to Hope Mills and have lunch and swap ideas.I am buying a svx afm and also getting ready to purchase a new radiator just trying to keep the car road ready.It may be a few weeks after a little maint. is taken care of.I am just still amazed at what our cars are capable of.gotta get back to work.

Wikedjuggalo 06-08-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poweredx2 (Post 649550)
No offense was taken at all.I was going to make a trip to Hope Mills and have lunch and swap ideas.I am buying a svx afm and also getting ready to purchase a new radiator just trying to keep the car road ready.It may be a few weeks after a little maint. is taken care of.I am just still amazed at what our cars are capable of.gotta get back to work.

If you are going for a radiator go with the PWR. I have it and we noticed a great drop in trans temp compared to stock. Plus don't have to worry about the tanks splitting.

NeedForSpeed 06-09-2010 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby (Post 649542)
Walter has been dragging that svx for many years now and still holds the fastest FWD svx 1/4 mile record. He's well aware that what he's doing might or might not break something more.

Thanks for the review. One of these days I'll make it back to the other greenville and we'll have to meet up again :)

Yes, Walter is fast for sure, a legend on the Net for a long time :D