The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Cheated death this weekend (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48591)

Tim 01-12-2009 09:10 AM

Cheated death this weekend

I went to Vermont this weekend to my friend's lakehouse for snowboarding. On one of the off days, we were walking on the frozen lake that had reported 9-12" thickness for ice. Trucks and RV's were driving on it along with people ice fishing.

I went with a group of friends out to explore some areas for potential ice fishing. But I was the unfortunate one to step on a thin spot and fell right through. Luckily I was wearing my snowboarding clothing that consisted of my waterproof jacket and pants, so that created an airpocket to keep me afloat long enough to get myself out. It also did not absorb the water like a sponge, so i did not get weighed down to the point where it would be too difficult to climb out. I was able to climb out before my friends were able to get close enough to try and pull me out.

I was very fortunate that the surrounding ice did not continue to break.

Those of you who do icefishing or walking on frozen bodies of water, definitely don't go alone.

IceBlade 01-12-2009 09:23 AM

Re: Cheated death this weekend

That's some scary ****. Like one of my worst fears lol.

PS: Snowboarding is the ****.

Wikedjuggalo 01-12-2009 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 581749)
I went to Vermont this weekend to my friend's lakehouse for snowboarding. On one of the off days, we were walking on the frozen lake that had reported 9-12" thickness for ice. Trucks and RV's were driving on it along with people ice fishing.

I went with a group of friends out to explore some areas for potential ice fishing. But I was the unfortunate one to step on a thin spot and fell right through. Luckily I was wearing my snowboarding clothing that consisted of my waterproof jacket and pants, so that created an airpocket to keep me afloat long enough to get myself out. It also did not absorb the water like a sponge, so i did not get weighed down to the point where it would be too difficult to climb out.

Those of you who do icefishing or walking on frozen bodies of water, definitely don't go alone.

Glad your alright man! Ice fishing sounds fun :rolleyes: but if anyone ask me to go I might have to pass.

Freeman 01-12-2009 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 581749)

I went with a group of friends out to explore some areas for potential ice fishing. But I was the unfortunate one to step on a thin spot and fell right through. Luckily I was wearing my snowboarding clothing that consisted of my waterproof jacket and pants, so that created an airpocket to keep me afloat long enough to get myself out. It also did not absorb the water like a sponge, so i did not get weighed down to the point where it would be too difficult to climb out.

That is really terrible. I'm glad you're alright. This is why I don't like cold weather.. In the warm weather, you don't even try to walk on water. That is, unless your crazy..

I had something similar to this happen to me once closer to home on a stream next to the Potomac.. We found a thin spot and I convinced my younger sister to walk on it and she fell through.. Granted I was younger and thought it was hilarious, I didn't know the true dangers of the ice.
But yes, she had her revenge and shoved me into it as well.. We walked home with our clothes almost frozen solid... Not fun..

Again, glad your alright..

SilverSpear 01-12-2009 09:33 AM

Glad you are OK Tim. Beware for next time bro...

I will be sending you a PM shortly..

JaySVX 01-12-2009 10:16 AM

Bummer tim, glad to hear you made it out alive though. I went polar bear swimming year ago with some folks, and it was horrible. I can't imagine the "surprize, your in freezing water" bit.

Tim 01-12-2009 02:23 PM

The good news is that my cell phone and camera work perfectly fine. I imagine the lake had very few mineral deposits

Sean486 01-12-2009 03:01 PM

+1 for your snowboard gear. Worth every penny, and then some I imagine.

Glad to hear that you made it out alive.:D

TomsSVX 01-12-2009 03:19 PM

Darwin -1:p:p:lol::lol:

Tom

Tim 01-12-2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 581859)
Darwin -1:p:p:lol::lol:

Tom

I beat Darwin fair and square!