The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Mods (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Quiet Muffler (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37523)

AlcyoneDaze 02-16-2007 10:06 AM

Quiet Muffler

Hi, I'm going to do a dual muffler setup in my SVX and I need two good mufflers.

My definition of good:

low-priced, since i'm buying two, this is a must, sub-$200 per piece
rust-proof, no MONZA
quiet, preferably no louder than the stock SVX exhaust, but a low-rumble would be nice
high-flow, want to actually improve performance and reduce backpressure

svxistentialist 02-19-2007 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlcyoneDaze
Hi, I'm going to do a dual muffler setup in my SVX and I need two good mufflers.

My definition of good:

low-priced, since i'm buying two, this is a must, sub-$200 per piece
rust-proof, no MONZA
quiet, preferably no louder than the stock SVX exhaust, but a low-rumble would be nice
high-flow, want to actually improve performance and reduce backpressure

Best of luck with this Alcyone. I'm with you on the sound, a quiet deep rumble is what I prefer too.

I had a magic JDM aftermarket exhaust on my Legacy Twin Turbo. Deep soft rumble.

One thing to be careful about; you say you want to improve performance and reduce backpressure. If you car is not blown or turbo'd you may make low speed driving erratic if you reduce back-pressure by too much.

Reducing back-pressure will let it breathe better at high revs, important for racing cars. However the pressure and resonance of the outflowing gas is balanced by the exhaust and resonator to maximise gas velocity at low revs. If you free it up too much, your idling will go lumpy like a racer's.

The above only applies to NA cars, like the standard engine. If your engine is pressure fed, then the freer the better.:)

Joe:)

Hocrest 02-19-2007 06:37 AM

SVXfiles is working on a new setup right now. From talking to him the sound and performance meet your needs. But we didn't talk about price?? You may want to send him a PM.

svxfiles 02-19-2007 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest
SVXfiles is working on a new setup right now. From talking to him the sound and performance meet your needs. But we didn't talk about price?? You may want to send him a PM.

Dave, that system was SO QUIET, evan with 2" headpipes and 2"X2 in and
2.5" single out cat it was quieter than stock!!!
AERO AR20, at $82.00 each plus shipping, (VERY FAST SHIPPING) do a great job of quieting down the exhaust.
For true duals, don't go ovet 2", and you will prob need 4 resonators total.;)

SVXRide 02-19-2007 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles
Dave, that system was SO QUIET, evan with 2" headpipes and 2"X2 in and
2.5" single out cat it was quieter than stock!!!
AERO AR20, at $82.00 each plus shipping, (VERY FAST SHIPPING) do a great job of quieting down the exhaust.
For true duals, don't go ovet 2", and you will prob need 4 resonators total.;)

Note for folks who don't check Tom's extensive photo archives -- the AERO pieces are used in place of the stock primary cats.:cool:
-Bill

svxcess 02-19-2007 10:35 AM

Quote:

the AERO pieces are used in place of the stock primary cats.
svxfiles seems to think that this is THE exhaust system. I have already committed to getting him to install this system on my 1996 polo. Harry's system does not have the stock resonator behind the third cat, just a straight pipe. Adding another Areo resonator will quiet it even further.

I will be going up to Tom's on Wednesday morning to check it out in person.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...iles/41691.jpg

More photos in his locker, starting around photo #50, can be found HERE

ensteele 02-19-2007 11:51 AM

That looks like a great system. Maybe a sound bite could be taken so we can hear what it sounds like. :)

svxfiles 02-19-2007 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
That looks like a great system. Maybe a sound bite could be taken so we can hear what it sounds like. :)

It IS a great system, BUT, with the stock SVX muffler, NO factory resonator it is as quiet, or quieter than the stock system!
It just flows more!
Tonight I did the Madder Muffler Mod, to increase the sound, and flow of the factory muffler, (in that order) and it DOES give the exhaust note more bite,
but it is STILL not objectionable.
Stop in by Wednesday for a listen/drive!:D

svxistentialist 02-20-2007 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles
It IS a great system, BUT, with the stock SVX muffler, NO factory resonator it is as quiet, or quieter than the stock system!
It just flows more!
Tonight I did the Madder Muffler Mod, to increase the sound, and flow of the factory muffler, (in that order) and it DOES give the exhaust note more bite,
but it is STILL not objectionable.
Stop in by Wednesday for a listen/drive!:D

Quieter than standard sounds good to me.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Is it less restrictive than the standard system? Will it flow enough gas for a 300-350 hp blown engine?

Joe:)

Ricochet 02-20-2007 04:01 AM

I have yet to hear an aftermarket svx exhaust system not sound raspy. I'm going to stay stock until something's tried and true.. keep us updated.

TomsSVX 02-20-2007 11:19 AM

Shotgunslade's car is not raspy. His exhaust setup is the best N/A I have heard to date... Just the perfect tone and the perfect volume. The shop that did his is near by (within an hour's drive). If you want I will try and get some audio of his when he is here Sunday and if you like it, I will drop your car off at the exhaust shop for a dupe

Tom

Ricochet 02-20-2007 11:40 AM

Yeah a shot of him driving under full throttle from the outside of the car would be cool.

TomsSVX 02-20-2007 12:11 PM

I will see what I can do but we can get some standing still audio for sure

Tom

benebob 02-20-2007 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet
I have yet to hear an aftermarket svx exhaust system not sound raspy. I'm going to stay stock until something's tried and true.. keep us updated.

No rasp with our SVXfiles setup. Granted its just under the 96 decibil limit for most tracks.:D

SVXRide 02-20-2007 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob
No rasp with our SVXfiles setup. Granted its just under the 96 decibil limit for most tracks.:D

What? What? I can't hear you...:rolleyes: :p
-Bill
p.s. the sound is even louder when it's echoing off of a brick wall...