The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Installed new OEM front sway bar bushings (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49759)

svxash 04-05-2009 01:06 PM

Installed new OEM front sway bar bushings

So I just installed new OEM front sway bar bushings the other day and my front end clunk is gone. I went with OEM because they were easy to install, inexpensive, and lasted 120k for the original ones. I tried to get some from earthworm but he was all out. I figured this was the easiest thing to try first to see if that was the problem and it seems it was. I might upgrade later but at least the clunk is gone:D. I checked my strut mounts and they are starting to split a little on the top so I will probably replace them later this spring as well. I'll try and post some pics of the old vs new bushings later.

SVXMAN2001 04-05-2009 06:54 PM

Re: Installed new OEM front sway bar bushings

glad to hear the bushings worked out for you! For the driver's side, did you remove the stabilizer lever to get to the bushings? I am actually in the process of doing this job myself, getting the lever was a PIA, i had to use a hammer to get it off. Putting it back on has been even harder because it won't simply slide back into place so again I have to hammer it on and hammer it on in the same place I originally marked the sway bar and stabilizer lever to keep the alignment in spec...

Also for the bushings themselves, did you tighten the metal brace the holds the bushing completely? I found that when I did this the shape of the bushing became distorted, just wondering if it was absolutely necessary to over tighten the bushings.

svxash 04-05-2009 10:05 PM

I didn't have to remove anything but the bushing brackets. On the driver's side I was able to slide the bushing towards the end of the bracket and it came right off. You could probably shim the bracket so it wouldn't compress the bushing as much. I tightened them down completely but I think if you didn't do this the bushing wouldn't compress around the sway bar and you would still have a clunking noise.

dcarrb 04-06-2009 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 (Post 595534)
Also for the bushings themselves, did you tighten the metal brace the holds the bushing completely? I found that when I did this the shape of the bushing became distorted, just wondering if it was absolutely necessary to over tighten the bushings.

Not fully tightening the bushing brackets would be a big mistake. The rubber is supposed to be under compression.

dcb

SVXMAN2001 04-06-2009 01:30 PM

The bushings definately are under tension, however, i noticed there is a point at which, when tightening, the bushing completely surrounds the sway bar (there are no gaps around the sway bar where hte bushing meets the bar), however, if i continue tightening the bushing scruntches (sp?) and ends up misshapened around the sway bar, to the point that there is a small gap between the sway bar and the bushing...