The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help! Engine starts but cuts out after a second (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3562)

gcookaustin 04-10-2002 08:52 AM

Help! Engine starts but cuts out after a second

I pulled into a gas station to install my new license plate. Initially started car, sounded quick and fine until the engine died like a second later. The engine is smooth so the only way I could tell was lack of sound an the tachometer. Tried it again and did the same thing! The third time I started it and gave it a little gas for a minute or so and went on my way. The engine should have been warm before I pulled off because I had been driving for a few miles to pick up some parts...
...what's the deal? Am taking it to be looked at Friday at Duff's subaru anyway, it would be a good time to ask there too. Suggestions??

Mr. Pockets 04-10-2002 09:51 AM

Re: Help! Engine starts but cuts out after a second

Quote:

Originally posted by gcookaustin
I pulled into a gas station to install my new license plate. Initially started car, sounded quick and fine until the engine died like a second later. The engine is smooth so the only way I could tell was lack of sound an the tachometer. Tried it again and did the same thing! The third time I started it and gave it a little gas for a minute or so and went on my way. The engine should have been warm before I pulled off because I had been driving for a few miles to pick up some parts...
...what's the deal? Am taking it to be looked at Friday at Duff's subaru anyway, it would be a good time to ask there too. Suggestions??

The *exact* same thing happened to me last weekend when I put the wife's Legacy back together. I had forgotten to hook up the hose from the idle valve to the intake duct. Since you started the car and then gave it gas, not allowing it to idle, you avoided the problem area.

I think.

Anyway, I suspect the idle valve. But I could be wrong. There are usually multiple causes for the same symptom.

SuperRuu 04-10-2002 09:51 AM

Have you replaced any parts lately. IE:
Spark Plugs?. Fuel Filter. etc?
if not check your fuel filter. ( small coffee looking thing with nipples on the driverside strut tower) check your plugs too.

Aredubjay 04-10-2002 10:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Garrett, the possibilities are many. Here's the general engine trouble shooting chart from the manual. Start with the simplest solution first, then, take it to Duff.

Seraph 04-10-2002 10:26 AM

Check your fuel injectors too. They might be clogged.

lwin

gcookaustin 04-10-2002 01:24 PM

After work I started it up to go home and it started fine, and then I drove downtown to ship a FedEx package (and nearly got a ticket parking in a no-parking zone!) When I started it up to leave it started like normal and a second later the engine began to struggle and the RPMs dropped down low but it seemed to fix itself (at least for now...) Y'all can pray for me that nothing bad will happen between now and then :)
I'm taking it to Duffs to repair a CV joint and do a "complete inspection" for my warranty purchase anyway. I guess I'll ask them to check it.
Where did you get the troubleshooting chart? My manual doesn't have that or the scheduled maintenance chart (I had to download that .jpg too).

Aredubjay 04-10-2002 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gcookaustin
After work I started it up to go home and it started fine, and then I drove downtown to ship a FedEx package (and nearly got a ticket parking in a no-parking zone!) When I started it up to leave it started like normal and a second later the engine began to struggle and the RPMs dropped down low but it seemed to fix itself (at least for now...) Y'all can pray for me that nothing bad will happen between now and then :)
I'm taking it to Duffs to repair a CV joint and do a "complete inspection" for my warranty purchase anyway. I guess I'll ask them to check it.
Where did you get the troubleshooting chart? My manual doesn't have that or the scheduled maintenance chart (I had to download that .jpg too).

Those charts are from the OE service manuals. Several of us have sets.

Green1995SVX 04-10-2002 02:07 PM

This used to happen on a 2000 taurus I used to drive. The problem was that it was a piece of crap. I highly doubt this is the issue with your svx though.

-Mike

gcookaustin 04-10-2002 03:50 PM

Does it sound expensive? I spent all my money buying the thing...

Beav 04-10-2002 04:07 PM

If it starts and dies it's usually a build up of crud in the throttle body and/or idle air controller. It could be many things but usually that's what I've been finding. Fuel filters generally become problems at higher speeds when you're using more fuel. Bad injectors usually won't pass any fuel and cause a miss or hang open and cause poor running, eye burning exhaust and black smoke.

gcookaustin 04-10-2002 04:22 PM

Oh. Well, if I used some kind of stuff you put in your fuel (like RXP) would that work?

Beav 04-10-2002 04:24 PM

Doubtful. The best thing to do is to clean the throttle body with some carb clean and a rag. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find some instructions - I think the last time I saw it Randy had written it up.