The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Swapping AC Compressor - Quick Questions (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44954)

Treppiede 05-31-2008 09:40 PM

Swapping AC Compressor - Quick Questions

Fellow SVXers,
The clutch on my AC Compressor gets stuck and AC stops working, so I bought a used compressor from a member of this Forum a couple of years ago and never got around installing it because I moved out of town and was unable to get the car up here until a few months ago.

Questions:

1) Today I disconnected the AC lines, loosened the belt and removed all the bolts holding the compressor. It doesn't come out, it seems like it's secured on the "axis" from where I pulled the long bolt, between the compressor and the alternator. Is the "jacket" where the long bolt goes supposed to come out as well? What am I missing to be able to get the compressor out?

2) After searching on this Forum, I just realized I might have damaged the "spare" compressor since it's been sitting in a plastic bag in the garage for a couple of years. What are the steps you recommend me to take before I install it? Is there anything I can do to it hoping it will work (like oil, flushing, filters/seals replacements, etc)?

Please let me know your thoughts, I am not in a rush to get the car back on the road and I intend to take all the time needed to service the "new" compressor before installing it as well as drain/flush/fill the AC system the correct way.

Thanks in advance!

-Walter

YourConfused 05-31-2008 09:59 PM

you could just swap the clutches

kwren 06-01-2008 12:31 AM

Be sure and swap the clutches...

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourConfused (Post 549944)
you could just swap the clutches

Before you let the freon out!
:(

Treppiede 06-01-2008 06:31 AM

Ok, this is exactly how I feel right now:
:bash:

Anyways, it's too late now, besides the clutch thing was only a theory (correct, IMO) but now I have no choice but to move forward with this.

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep it in mind next time I find myself in a similar situation. In the mean time, what do you guys tell me with regards to my original questions?

Thanks!

-Walter

lhopp77 06-01-2008 08:35 AM

Right

If you do it right, it problably takes some equipment you don't have. I see you have a 95 so that means it used 134 in the system. Do you know what year car the compressor came from? All 92s used Freon---so if you have to convert the compressor, it will have the wrong type oil in it. The system should be evacuated and vacuumed pump--then new oil put it and then the 134 charge.

I think I might consult a shop that does this kind of work.

Lee

Treppiede 06-02-2008 08:40 AM

Lee, thank you for your reply.

I am currently talking with Dave (Hocrest) - whom sold me the compressor - to see if he remembers what year SVX it came from.

I will update this thread as soon as I find out.

Thanks,

-Walter

Hocrest 06-02-2008 08:49 AM

It came from a '92 but I had converted it to R134. After this amount of time sitting open, I would drain anything that is still in there and start from scratch.

Treppiede 06-02-2008 10:48 AM

Thanks for jumping in Dave... Would you mind telling me the steps you took to convert it? Are there any mechanical differences between the two types of compressors besides oil and freon?

I want to make sure I service this compressor in the best way possible before installing it. Is there a detailed write-up somewhere?

Regards,

-Walter

Hocrest 06-02-2008 11:04 AM

I got out as much oil as I could by dumping it out of the compressor, then added oil and 134. I changed the dryer and most of the O-rings also.

I don't know of any differences between the compressors.

Since you have the system "open" you should replace as many O rings as you can and the dryer. You can get a new dryer from autozone for ~$50.

Treppiede 06-02-2008 02:19 PM

The system has been open for a couple of days only, but it may be a good idea to change the dryer anyways. I was searching around the Forum and stumbled across this... this A22/ES-22a seems like a miracle product, it cools better and puts less load/stress on your system! Do you guys recommend it?

I will also be changing as many o-rings as I can find and the compressor filter. Any instructions on how to access it and how to properly change oil and filter?

I am still wondering what are the internal differences between my original compressor (1995, r134) and the one I bought from you Dave. If mine has revised/upgraded internals, wouldn't it make sense for me to swap clutches and keep my original one (assuming the diagnosis my AC buddy did a couple of years ago - clutch getting stuck - is correct)?

Thanks for the help guys. If you know of a detailed writeup on how to change oil and filter and swap a clutch on a compressor, please let me know, I want to do this right.

-Walter

lhopp77 06-02-2008 05:01 PM

None

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treppiede (Post 550191)
I am still wondering what are the internal differences between my original compressor (1995, r134) and the one I bought from you Dave. If mine has revised/upgraded internals, wouldn't it make sense for me to swap clutches and keep my original one (assuming the diagnosis my AC buddy did a couple of years ago - clutch getting stuck - is correct)?

There are no mechanical differences. Only oil and o-rings and the refrigerant. I do believe there are different part numbers for freon and R134 dryers, but I actually don't think there is really any difference in them.

Lee

Hocrest 06-02-2008 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhopp77 (Post 550216)
There are no mechanical differences. Only oil and o-rings and the refrigerant. I do believe there are different part numbers for freon and R134 dryers, but I actually don't think there is really any difference in them.

Lee

I am an AC novice, but isn't the high pressure port on the dryer different between 12 and 134??

With an adapter kit, even that doesn't make a difference. Just asking??

YourConfused 06-02-2008 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 550217)
I am an AC novice, but isn't the high pressure port on the dryer different between 12 and 134??

With an adapter kit, even that doesn't make a difference. Just asking??

yes and I have not been able to find the hi side adaptor in town anywhere cause the universal kits don't fit a suby:(

Treppiede 06-02-2008 07:54 PM

Thank you for the reply Lee, I am glad there aren't differences besides fluids and o-rings.
When you say "different" o-rings, do you mean the two that are located on the lines that go in the compressor?

I will be looking around for a detailed writeup on how to drain, change the filter and oil on the little guy. If you know how, please let me know.

Thanks.

-Walter

YourConfused 06-02-2008 08:30 PM

found this:
http://www.4s.com/fourseasons/tech_t...sh_2-13-03.pdf

may be helpful to you