The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Stall after fast deceleration (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62283)

claylindquist 11-12-2013 10:09 PM

Stall after fast deceleration

I have a Stock 1994 SVX. About 3 weeks ago my car stuttered and died after I slowed to a stop on a freeway exit ramp. It has done it a few times since then and all under the same scenarios.
I will be driving around 60-70 and quickly slow to a stop. The car will stutter for about 8 seconds and die.

(additional info) The check engine light has come on 3 times in the last month, but turns off after 5 minutes or so.

Any info or leads would be greatly appreciated. If there is already a thread on this topic I apologize in advance, I did not find it.

elninoalex 11-13-2013 01:11 AM

Re: Stall after fast deceleration

I'm no expert on that, but it sounds like the Idle Air Control valve could be the culprit. I would recommend running a search for IAC.

Welcome to the Network!

longassname 11-13-2013 06:39 AM

I've never experienced or heard of the specific symptoms you are describing but maybe your egr is getting stuck open so you're sucking in uncombustible exhaust gas instead of fresh air? That's really just a shot in the dark. I think the instructions for checking your trouble codes are in the faq section. I'd find them and start with checking your trouble codes.

MCMXCII SVX 11-13-2013 09:14 AM

I had the same or similar issue with my stock 92 last year. Like yours, it usually happened when stopping at the end of an exit ramp. I'd have to kick it into neutral and then bridge the brake and gas with my foot to rev the engine in order to keep it from stalling out. In my case I also noticed an erratic idle from time to time.

According to the work order, my SVX mechanic found a vacuum leak at the intake. He re-torqued all of the intake bolts which fixed the problem.

Svx95 11-13-2013 11:43 AM

I had a similar issue to your's. I'd check what the posts below say IACV and EGR just to be sure. What I had to do was replace my MAF. My car would run great at speed but when I came to a stop it would have erratic RPM, sometimes even die if I didn't put it in Neutral and accelerate while on the brake. Also the CEL would come and go every couple minutes. Just an Idea. Good luck!

claylindquist 11-13-2013 11:47 AM

Thanks for all the responses!!

I talked to a mechanic friend of mine and he was leaning towards the egr valve. I'll take a look at the codes and see if I can't pinpoint something. I'll also try cleaning the egr valve.