The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   MOD Mania (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How to run wiring to door speakers? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13714)

Chicane 10-12-2003 10:27 AM

How to run wiring to door speakers?

Hey, I'm trying to install my door speakers, and I'd like to use better wiring. Anyone have any tips? I assumed the rubber 'wire cover' that goes between the door and the chassis would pop out, and it DID on the chassis side, but on the door side it has this big long rubber cone type thing that's all electrical taped to the loom, so you can't really snake a wire through it.

It's annoying. Anyone have any tips????

Thanks!

= Rob

Tim 10-12-2003 11:33 AM

I personally dont think it's worth all the extra time and stress. I heard using a hanger works but its kind of tricky. What gauge wire are you using?

Most people generally cant tell a difference, and most likely theres not that much power going to the speakers that justify using better wire. Good luck though if you still decide to do it.

Landshark 10-12-2003 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by TE1221
I personally dont think it's worth all the extra time and stress. I heard using a hanger works but its kind of tricky. What gauge wire are you using?

Most people generally cant tell a difference, and most likely theres not that much power going to the speakers that justify using better wire. Good luck though if you still decide to do it.

m0ntzAr cables are fastAr! :D

Green1995SVX 10-12-2003 02:56 PM

I used a coat hanger.

Mike

Trevor 10-12-2003 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX
I used a coat hanger. Mike
It will work just as well as audiophallic monster stuff. :confused: :D :)

SubaSteevo 10-15-2003 08:40 AM

Actually I read somewhere that most people can't tell the difference between monster cable and chicken wire :cool:

Landshark 10-15-2003 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BurgundyBeast
Actually I read somewhere that most people can't tell the difference between monster cable and chicken wire :cool:
i believe that was from Trevor and its true. i just get a spool of Radio Shack's finest generic speaker wire and i've been using it for years. if your ears can seriously tell the difference between Monster Cable and Radio Shack 'wire-on-a-spool' you have no business listening to music in a car anyway because your super sensitive ears will be distracted by engine, tire, and wind noise, thereby ruining your audiophile listening experience. :rolleyes: :D

Chicane 10-15-2003 10:10 AM

I'm not an audio guy. The reason I wanted to run wire into the doors was that I bought a component set, and it has crossovers. Hence, I need to get the wire FROM the crossover TO the door speaker. Anyway, I ended up just puttnig a tiny slit in the rubber boot thing, and pulling the wire through it. >shrug< it works.

- Rob

Porter 10-15-2003 10:35 AM

I always find it funny that people love to take cheap shots at those who appreciate good audio equipment.

It's similar to people who make fun of those with an interest in fast, rare cars. :D After all, anybody that spends money on a car, especially an older, problematic sports car must be an idiot, right?? It's only transportation, after all! Only fools drive nice cars because we all get there at the same time. ;) :D :D

I assume you see my point... audio equipment is a lot like an SVX. Those who get it, get it... and those who don't get it simply never will.

Granted, most average Monster Cable is crap. You really do have to spend a lot of money to find something that sounds different, but it's out there. Even "entry level" companies like Monster Cable make some decent products, in their M-series line.

I'd love to bring any of you over to my house, and we'll do a test where we listen to the same piece of music, first on my 2 inch thick teflon coated Straightwire Crescendos, and then on some chicken wire, and we'll see whether anyone can hear a difference... :D :D

Noir 10-15-2003 11:00 AM

re: let me know when.

let me know when Porter. i want to hear the difference.

<Harry runs to home depot to pickup a spool of chicken wire.>

Mr. Pockets 10-15-2003 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Porter
I always find it funny that people love to take cheap shots at
I'd love to bring any of you over to my house, and we'll do a test where we listen to the same piece of music, first on my 2 inch thick teflon coated Straightwire Crescendos, and then on some chicken wire, and we'll see whether anyone can hear a difference... :D :D

The next time I'm in Atlanta, I'd be thrilled to take you up on your offer. :D

Landshark 10-15-2003 11:04 AM

Quote:

the key word is house. tell me you'll hear a difference in wires over all the ambient noise that is inherent in an automobile environment. i think not.

my brother installs six-figure high-end home theater systems and he has tried to prove this to me, also. i didn't hear a difference. :rolleyes: i guess it might be like spending a couple thousand dollars on your car to gain an extra hp or two....maybe.

Trevor 10-15-2003 11:08 PM

Quote:

Granted, most average Monster Cable is crap. You really do have to spend a lot of money to find something that sounds different, but it's out there. Even "entry level" companies like Monster Cable make some decent products, in their M-series line.

Porter,

In order that I may comment further would you please answer the following questions with a tabulated reply to save confusion, using words of exact and specific meaning.

(1) How is it that a manufacturer alleged to be honest and reliable sells only, Òsome decent productÓ, the assumption being that the remainder is rubbish and how does that stack up against their claims of quality in sales promotion material ?

(2) Does 2 inch thick mean 2 inch diameter which is what one normally take from such a statement and if not, exactly what is measured and in what unit and what dimension ?

(3) Please confirm that Ò Crescendos Ò is a brand name for speaker cable and that you are talking about cable forming a circuit of less than 10 ohms impedance between an amplifier and speakers.

(4) What is the exact reason for teflon coating ?

(5) Why is it an advantage that the wires are ÒstraightÓ ?

(6) Have you actually tried substituting some common garden type of wire, with an adequate cross sectional area, by way of experiment ?

(7) What evidence can you put forward that is based on scientifically proven fact, rather than here say, assumption, presumption and your own or others opinion influenced by marketing hype.

Landshark 10-15-2003 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Trevor

Porter,

In order that I may comment further would you please answer the following questions with a tabulated reply to save confusion, using words of exact and specific meaning.

(1) How is it that a manufacturer alleged to be honest and reliable sells only, Òsome decent productÓ, the assumption being that the remainder is rubbish and how does that stack up against their claims of quality in sales promotion material ?

(2) Does 2 inch thick mean 2 inch diameter which is what one normally take from such a statement and if not, exactly what is measured and in what unit and what dimension ?

(3) Please confirm that Ò Crescendos Ò is a brand name for speaker cable and that you are talking about cable forming a circuit of less than 10 ohms impedance between an amplifier and speakers.

(4) What is the exact reason for teflon coating ?

(5) Why is it an advantage that the wires are ÒstraightÓ ?

(6) Have you actually tried substituting some common garden type of wire, with an adequate cross sectional area, by way of experiment ?

(7) What evidence can you put forward that is based on scientifically proven fact, rather than here say, assumption, presumption and your own or others opinion influenced by marketing hype.

Trevor,

i guess you didn't know that electrons prefer to travel in brand-name designer cables. the teflon keeps the electrons from sticking to the insulation. :D

Trevor 10-16-2003 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Landshark

Trevor,

i guess you didn't know that electrons prefer to travel in brand-name designer cables. the teflon keeps the electrons from sticking to the insulation. :D

I did not know but expected as much. I just had second thoughts about the straight wire. Is there some sort of obscure sexual thing going on between the electrons and those copper thingies do you think ? :D