The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bad Gas Mileage (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21074)

MikeInd 09-02-2004 07:49 PM

Bad Gas Mileage

94 Lsi, Can the belt skip on one side? When I left Indianpolis the car was running great....got to Seattle....idle is very rough.... and BAD gas mileage.

I got one check engine light...only one time....

Help....

Also, anyone in the NW-Seattle area have a good garage to recomend?

Thanks

Chiketkd 09-02-2004 08:29 PM

What octane level did you use to run back in Indy and what octane level are you running now?

-Chike

P.S. I've heard of SVXs running really rough when low grade octane is used. The bad gas mileage would be an indicator of the knock sensors causing the ECU to dial back timing to prevent detonation.

MikeInd 09-02-2004 08:35 PM

Indy-93
Seattle-92

I get hesitation when I start to accerate.....then it launch like a rabbit

Also, I feel a VIBRATION when I rev it up

Any ideas?

Chiketkd 09-02-2004 08:44 PM

Could be many things - dirty fuel injectors, bad spark plugs, an O2 sensor going bad...

However, since you switched from Midwest 93 octane, to West coast 92, I'm almost wondering if there might be bad gas at the place you purchase it from.

Do this, go to your local autoparts store and get a $2 bottle of octane boost and add that at your next fill-up. See if your problem steadily goes away over the period of that tank or persists.

If the problem persists, then it's not related to the gas. If it goes away, then I'd suggest changing gas stations and/or buying Longassname's Stage 1 chip and running the 87 octane code.

-Chike

n00b on demand 09-02-2004 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chiketkd
Could be many things - dirty fuel injectors, bad spark plugs, an O2 sensor going bad...

However, since you switched from Midwest 93 octane, to West coast 92, I'm almost wondering if there might be bad gas at the place you purchase it from.

Do this, go to your local autoparts store and get a $2 bottle of octane boost and add that at your next fill-up. See if your problem steadily goes away over the period of that tank or persists.

If the problem persists, then it's not related to the gas. If it goes away, then I'd suggest changing gas stations and/or buying Longassname's Stage 1 chip and running the 87 octane code.

-Chike

clean your throttle body and check get those O2 sensors replaced or run the codes...get those fuel injectors cleaned... or fuel filter changed....im having the same problem with hesitation and the launch lol

Motorsport-SVX 09-02-2004 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MikeInd
Indy-93
Seattle-92

I get hesitation when I start to accerate.....then it launch like a rabbit

Also, I feel a VIBRATION when I rev it up

Any ideas?

vibration ? make sure your crank pulley isnt coming apart...
check rest of the obvious stuff mentioned

Earthworm 09-03-2004 09:06 AM

If you got a check engine light then check the code. It should give you a hint to what's wrong.

Chiketkd 09-03-2004 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
If you got a check engine light then check the code. It should give you a hint to what's wrong.
Agreed. Most parts stores have code readers taht they can hook your car up to. Otherwise, use the Subaru diagnostic process to pull the codes.

-Chike

angrydan 09-04-2004 03:17 PM

If the idle is really rough, you could have dirt and junk in your fuel lines, or a clogged injector. This recently happened to my brothers Firebird. It was idling all over the place and would go from nearly stalling to revving over 2000rpms. I took it to my mechanic and he flushed out the injectors, fuel lines, and changed the fuel filter. All in all, a cheap fix. It's worth a shot...

SVX-FF 09-05-2004 04:18 PM

Re: Bad Gas Mileage

Quote:

Originally posted by MikeInd
94 Lsi, Can the belt skip on one side?

The answer is YES!!!:(

It happened to me last year. I was all set to go to Reading V on Saturday morning, when to pick my son up when it happened.
The t-belt slipped due to a poor installation, ME. It only jumped on the left side. The whole left side of the motor shut down. The ECU when into "safe mode" and only ran on the right three cyclinders. Once I realigned the t-belt it was fine. The computer kicked a left O2 sensor code when this happened. The car was not very driveable either.
If you jumped a tooth on your t-belt you would know it. Needless to say I never made Reading V, and I lived at the MD/PA line. Now I have to drive from Minneapolis to go to Reading VI.:D

I do not think you skipped the belt.
You would have to rev up to 3500rpm to have a smoother idle. there would also be no power what so ever.

Steve