The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   christmas tree lights. Not the pretty ones!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62376)

My92SVX 12-20-2013 06:57 PM

christmas tree lights. Not the pretty ones!!

After doing some research... Nothing more I can think of other than asking right out.. Sorry guys..

Hey guys.. I'm at my witts end here.. About ready to call it quits and just sell the car.. I just recently started having issues with the alternator. I had it checked and indeed it was bad. I had a spare good alternator. I slapped it on. After a day of driving around, it started with the christmas lights again. Then I figured may be the battery.. I replaced the battery and I had the first alternator fixed at an alternator shop here.. I slapped on the refabed alternator and with the new battery, still getting christmas lights after 2 days.. Alternator is good. I had it checked yet again.

Could the problem be the fusable link? The alternator is definitaly charging the battery. Car starts right up with no hesitation or problem. Could it be the negative cable somewhere? . All the cables look good, no rust or broken cables that I can see in plain site.

thanks
Carlos from Dallas TX for now..

Wikedjuggalo 12-20-2013 08:24 PM

Re: christmas tree lights. Not the pretty ones!!

I could be wrong but the christmas lights are caused by too much or too little voltage. Did you check to make sure your pulley is not separating? I would suggest using a paint marker and drawing a line down the crank pulley to make sure it is not separating. Did the other alternator cause this as well?

My92SVX 12-20-2013 08:50 PM

Haven't looked at the pulley. But, if it were that. Would it not effect the power steering also? Power steering works fine. Yes, other alternator did the same thing.

dannmarr 12-20-2013 09:17 PM

I had this problem a long time ago. The alternators would check out fine off the vehicle but would die after it was installed. Go to an alternator shop and have them check the alternator on the vehicle. Could be the voltage regulator or the wire plug.

Wikedjuggalo 12-20-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannmarr (Post 730494)
I had this problem a long time ago. The alternators would check out fine off the vehicle but would die after it was installed. Go to an alternator shop and have them check the alternator on the vehicle. Could be the voltage regulator or the wire plug.

Not sure about the PS but that was my next suggestion was the voltage regulator.

svxcess 12-21-2013 08:24 AM

Carlos,

This is most likely an alternator problem. I have asked Trevor for information he has about this in the past, as well as Christian at Maniac Electric Motors, in DALLAS.

Trevor said the following and I have confirmed that this has happened in the past on other cars:

The flashing of several dashboard trouble indication lights instantaneously can indicate a rather obscure alternator fault.

The indicator light test circuit, incorporates blocking diodes to eliminate a sneak circuit which would otherwise exist. A fault within the alternator rectifier network, often involving only a single diode, can result in alternating current being induced on line. As a result, pulses of reverse voltage pass the blocking diodes in the circuit which energizes the indicator lights.

Those testing alternators, including professional technicians, can often fail to detect this problem, due to there being only a very small discrepancy in the D.C. output.

Testing battery voltage with a multimeter switched to the alternating current range, will often disclose the presence of the unwanted alternating current, whereas a normal direct current output voltage check will not. An oscilloscope will certainly disclose the problem.

Steady Dash light indication

Steady simultaneous illumination of dash lights (battery charging, steering, and stop lamp) indicates one of several alternator faults, which can be detected by the alternator’s electronic diagnostic module.

It would appear that for safety sake in the event of an alternator fault, those indicator lights which are not illuminated for test purposes at start up, are operated simultaneously.

Personally, I would head over to Maniac Electric Motors in Dallas to have them take a look at your alternator. They have the best test equipment and experience in diagnosing/repairing alternators. They do all of their own rebuilding, and use the best German electronics. No one better at what they do and a new rebuilt alternator should be no more than $88.00 exchange. They also have the electrical plugs if you need them. Christian is the best and they will figure it out.

Maniac Electric Motors
9819 Elam Road
Dallas, Texas 75217

Call 972-557-5768
christian@maniacelectricmotors.com
8:00 - 6:00 Mon-Fri
8:00 - 3:00 Sat

From downtown Dallas, about 10 miles from you, off of 175 or the LBJ freeway

Apart from the lights, any driveability/ starting issues, or other electrical oddities

My92SVX 12-21-2013 02:24 PM

Hey John,

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that Maniac Electrics is out of Dallas or so near. I will definitely take the car over there if the trouble persist. I just put in another new alternator that I had already purchased a few weeks back. The weird thing is that with this last alternator. Lights came on for about 15 sec and then off, driving in to work, during the day with no driving lights,radio or a/c/heat on. On the way home at midnight, driving lights on, No christmas lights. Battery charging with no problem. What ever the trouble is,its definitely intermittent..

Frustrated..