The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1rst svx (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11909)

nervous 07-11-2003 05:48 PM

1rst svx

just got my svx last weak. never seen one or drove one. but once i did i had to have it. Its pearl and black has 118.000 on it and runs great.What are my chances of it staying like this.I did a car fax on it and im the 3rd owner.1rst owner had it from new to 116.000 2nd had it for only 2000.Wonder why? any comments on what to look for? drove her off the lot for 3200$$

Pure_Insanity8 07-11-2003 06:23 PM

Congrats on the purchase!:) With a lot of TLC she should stay running pretty well. Tranny trouble is basically inevitable at some point... if it hasn't been replaced or rebuilt yet, then trouble could be fairly soon. A "flare" when shifting from 2nd to 3rd (I think) is a sign of potential trouble... but could just be a transfer clutch problem (right guys?). Wheel bearings are prone to failure along with rotors warping. A tranny cooler would be a good idea to put in to help prolong the tranny. Or you could swap it out for a 5 speed (I like that option personally)... aftermarket rotors are good for preventing warpage, too.

Others can probably chime in with more info. This is a great group of people to learn and talk about SVXi... along with other stuff. Welcome aboard!:)

svxistentialist 07-11-2003 06:29 PM

First thing, Nervous, congratulations, and welcome to the network.:D :D

There are cars here with really high mileage, and no trouble. Best advice is find out if there are owners near you, possibly get one to look over your car. An experienced eye can tell a lot.

Second, if you know the names of previous owners, call them up and ask them if there is something that needs looking at. The first owner in particular will have nothing to lose, and has the most experience with the car.

Run a search here, and you will see a range of problems that can happen, but many get a free run. Your biggest expensive problem might be the tranny. Check if it has been replaced, and cling grimly to any warranty the car may have.

Rear wheel bearings go also, and need to be properly fitted or will go again.

Best of luck with it,

Joe:) :D

Chicane 07-11-2003 07:10 PM

If the engine 'flares' between shifts you need to replace your TPS sensor.. its about 100 bucks from the dealership.

- Rob

nervous 07-11-2003 07:34 PM

tranny shifts great. the fluid looks and smells new.Theres a new alternator and belts that I can see the timing belt covers look like been off recently.The motor gets a little oily on top though.I just got a job teaching welding at a vo-tech have to drive 80 miles one way. Is there a chance that nothing will happen or these crars known for problems.I plan on putting trans cooler and gauge in it. I took it to local subaru shop and they all came out to look at her.I could sell it for more but I really like it now.Im putting pics on there over a water fall.

92svx ls-l

benebob 07-11-2003 07:52 PM

1st SVX

Welcome to the board. Where the heck is Freehold? Glad to see another PAer out there. We're buying them all up! I'm sure there's someone close to ya.

nervous 07-11-2003 08:23 PM

near the poconos

Landshark 07-11-2003 09:49 PM

congrats and welcome! despite your name, and what you may read on here, its not a fact that your SVX will puke its transmission all over the road. people tend to post more about problems, and typically don't write about the good experiences. it sounds like you have a good tranny - with a cooler/filter/gauge you can make sure it stays that way! :)

ensteele 07-11-2003 11:35 PM

Welcome to the site. Hope you have many care free miles ahead of you. :D Relax and enjoy the car. :)

SHISVX 07-12-2003 07:00 AM

hello nervous, i am not far from the poconos. we are actually having a mini meet today, in Washington, NJ at Dicolas at the intersection of route 57 and 31. you can meet some locals there. i know one of the locals is a ski nut, so he might come by your area a lot in the winter. good luck with her!!

Kelli

edit/ 07/12/03 at 4:00

nervous 07-13-2003 07:28 PM

just put some pics of her on. Thats one way to cool the tranny.

ensteele 07-14-2003 12:17 AM

I looked in your locker and didn't see any pictures. :confused:

LarryIII 07-14-2003 04:10 AM

Hi Nervous,

Welcome to the SVX family. I hope that you get as much pleasure fromn your SVX as I do from mine.

PS: I looked in your locker and there were no photos.

nervous 07-14-2003 02:33 PM

Ok now pics should be in locker.

Chicane 07-14-2003 03:18 PM

FRONT WHEELS ON BACKWARDS!!! HAHA I GOT ONE! :D