The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Does anyone know ? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7902)

Uncamitzi 01-01-2003 08:32 PM

Does anyone know ?

If there is anyone that REPAIRS the stock cd player? Has anyone had their stock CD player repaired? I would like to keep mine as stock as possible and I kind of got used to the way this one works.. Thanks....

benebob 01-01-2003 08:39 PM

radio repair

Most electric repair shops would be happy to look at it. Granted they'll charge about $50 or so just to tell you how much it'll cost.

nubs 01-01-2003 08:42 PM

Did a quick search and found this.click here

sfsvx 01-02-2003 09:31 AM

I've had good results taking OEM units (not the SVX's, though) to local shops authorized to work on that brand of stereo. Weren't the stock SVX units made by Panasonic?

Uncamitzi 01-02-2003 09:33 AM

yes it's a panisonic...

Quote:

Originally posted by Dick Young
I've had good results taking OEM units (not the SVX's, though) to local shops authorized to work on that brand of stereo. Weren't the stock SVX units made by Panasonic?
I'm now looking for someone that has replaced a working cd/player with an aftermarket cd/receiver....
anyone?:)

lee 01-02-2003 10:05 AM

I have, as well as several other members. I was planning on keeping mine just in case, but if no one else offers up a unit send me a PM and we can work something out.

i replaced mine because it wouldn't reliably play CD-Rs. As far as I know that's common to older generation CD players. In other regards, lights, etc it all works (or was when I pulled it a couple weeks ago). FYI, I would not be willing to provide any of the mounting stuff though.

CigarJohnny 01-02-2003 10:15 AM

Re: Does anyone know ?

Quote:

Originally posted by Uncamitzi
If there is anyone that REPAIRS the stock cd player? Has anyone had their stock CD player repaired? I would like to keep mine as stock as possible and I kind of got used to the way this one works.. Thanks....
Mitch, have you tried simply running a cleaning disk in it? I've heard it from a number of people that it usually does the trick if the player stops reading disks. Of course something more could be physically wrong with it but it might be worth a try especially since you like the player in the first place.

Uncamitzi 01-02-2003 10:18 AM

Re: Re: Does anyone know ?

Quote:

Originally posted by CigarJohnny
Mitch, have you tried simply running a cleaning disk in it? I've heard it from a number of people that it usually does the trick if the player stops reading disks. Of course something more could be physically wrong with it but it might be worth a try especially since you like the player in the first place.
Yeah... I think that's what killed it... after I used the cleaning disk, it quit reading any of my disks. and just spits them back out.

But thanks that's what I thought to... :rolleyes:

PS: My factory unit never had problems with my burned CDs.. until now........:confused:

CigarJohnny 01-02-2003 10:28 AM

Re: Re: Re: Does anyone know ?

Quote:

Originally posted by Uncamitzi

Yeah... I think that's what killed it... after I used the cleaning disk, it quit reading any of my disks. and just spits them back out.

But thanks that's what I thought to... :rolleyes:

PS: My factory unit never had problems with my burned CDs.. until now........:confused:

Geez, Mitch...now i'm afraid to try cleaning mine :eek: Sorry to hear that :(

Uncamitzi 01-02-2003 10:39 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Does anyone know ?

Quote:

Originally posted by CigarJohnny
Geez, Mitch...now i'm afraid to try cleaning mine :eek: Sorry to hear that :(
Well don't panic yet.... I also used some canned air and may have broken a drive..... I have yet to open it up and look... try the cleaner disk... don't do the HP air........ :rolleyes:

Landshark 01-02-2003 04:20 PM

you could buy one off ebay (or the For Sale Forum) cheaper than what you'd probably pay to get it fixed. another option might be the WRX 6 disc-in-dash unit - "stock" looks and more features/functionality. they're cheap on ebay, too, as the young fast n' furious WRX owners need to get a flashy system in their cars ASAP! :rolleyes: