The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ebay tan interior (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36945)

svxstarship 01-13-2007 09:07 AM

Ebay tan interior

Tan interior on ebay. Just won the auction and was wondering if I was bidding with another member here, or I if I was a victim of shill bidding.

ensteele 01-13-2007 10:23 AM

What were the handles of the people you were bidding against? You may have been scammed. I hope not. :(

svxcess 01-13-2007 11:02 AM

I looks a little suspicious to me. There were 28 bids between only 2 bidders.
At one point, Bidder 1 had a bid of $550 and bid successively, in $20 increments, sometimes less than a minute apart. He took the bid from $550 to $750 about 6 minutes on his own.

http://offer.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/...m=190069549624

These were not automatic bids.

DanSVX94 01-13-2007 12:53 PM

Pretty expensive too, considering the fact that the car was probably purchased at auction for much less. I really hate eBay's new policy of not showing bidder's identity.

ensteele 01-13-2007 04:23 PM

I aree. :( Before you could tell who you were bidding against.

That is very strange to see that kind of bidding. :confused:

svxstarship 01-13-2007 05:23 PM

Oh well. But then again a leather kit from Motorsports Warehouse would be 900+. And my 96 is a theft recovery in which all the leather and arm rests have been cut up. So this will fix just about everything. If anybody is interested in the cut up seats let me know.

ItsPeteReally 01-13-2007 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess
I looks a little suspicious to me. There were 28 bids between only 2 bidders.
At one point, Bidder 1 had a bid of $550 and bid successively, in $20 increments, sometimes less than a minute apart. He took the bid from $550 to $750 about 6 minutes on his own.

It's not suspicious at all.
Bidder2 bid $750 on Jan-12-07 08:37:17 PST

Then Bidder1 kept increasing his bid on Jan-13-07 in small increments until his bid won with a bid of $760.00.

Bidder2 then bid $890 on Jan-13-07 07:34:09 PST, and once again, Bidder1 kept increasing his bid in small increments until he once again won.

Bidder 2 once again increased his bid to an unknown amount (at least $960 probably more). Bidder 1 then incrementally raised his bids again, finally giving up, disheartened and possibly out of cash, at $950.

This is a very strange bidding strategy by both Bidder1 and Bidder2 brought about by both of them not recognising the difference between an ebay auction and a conventional auction.

It is demonstrably true that if Bidder2 had bid his first bid of $480 but waited until the very last seconds of the auction to do so, he would have won the bidding war, because Bidder1 would have had no time to raise his bid before the 'hammer' came down.

People wanting to know more should start by reading this Wikipedia articlehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auction_sniping .

svxstarship 01-13-2007 07:10 PM

I'll get it right next time:) That last minute method seems the way to go, but a bit risky if you don't know exactly how high you need to bid in the last seconds. But you would think that the other bidder would be a member here, no?

ensteele 01-13-2007 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxstarship
I'll get it right next time:) That last minute method seems the way to go, but a bit risky if you don't know exactly how high you need to bid in the last seconds. But you would think that the other bidder would be a member here, no?

There are many SVX owners out there that are not members here.

How cut up are the seats? I have a seat that has a panel that is shot, and maybe the section could be replaced if that part is not cut. Let me know. Thanks :)

RSVX 01-13-2007 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxstarship

Yeah, it is risky, but if you bid the max you were willing to pay, and lose... so what?

svxstarship 01-14-2007 09:45 AM

I'll post some pics of the cut seats when I take them out next week.

corvairsvx 01-15-2007 09:31 PM

Ebay bidding..

Good evening..

I am not sure if the bidding was a result of shill bidding, but it does look mighty suspicious, judging from the final price.

One thing that has helpled me, is www.bidrobot.com, a free site which allows 'snipe' bidding at the last moment, ususally in the last 10 seconds, depending on the connection they get to ebay. Even if there is mad bidding going on in the last seconds, you still get a good chance at winning, granted, your top bid is above all others. It may discourage some shill bidders, as they wouldnt even realize that there is elevated interest, since your bid only comes up in those last seconds. check it out!!

svxistentialist 01-17-2007 04:51 AM

Vote with your feet [and tell them so]

Ebay brought in this Bidder 1 Bidder 2 crap here in Ireland/England before Christmas, before you guys got it.

I'm told it is mostly used with motors.

An insider in eBay told me the method is an attempt to stop shill bidders. Someone selling say a Honda Type R will usually be young and be members of a club or group of enthusiasts. Study of their selling patterns showed them to be using two or three friends to keep pushing up the price, shill bidders as we know it. If it does not sell, they re-list, and with a high reserve. It keeps up the price structure of certain popular types of car [or parts]

The idea of the undisclosed bidder identities lies with the seller not being able to recognise if his friends are bidding, or if it is a new player. This would be relevant close to the end of a auction.

I don't think it will work. People working in collusion will still be able to notify one another. "I'll bid $1210 tonight at 8.30" 'OK, you are Bidder 3' "I'll bid $1250 at 8.45" 'OK, OK, I see you, you are Bidder 5'

I sent a long detailed letter to eBay complaining about it. I complained that I no longer can see the identities of people who show a history of being interested in what I have to sell. I complained that I can not recognise if the person buying my stuff may have a bad record, not pay quickly and so on.

They sent a non-committal reply. Like I expected. Hopefully they will lose money on this. I for one won't tolerate it. Now I only buy stuff that has no bids up to the last minute or has a Buy it Now price that I accept.

No more bidding wars for me, not with unidentified geeks anyway.

Joe:mad:

ensteele 01-17-2007 10:37 PM

I feel the same way Joe. This was a bad move on their part. :(

svxistentialist 01-18-2007 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
I feel the same way Joe. This was a bad move on their part. :(

According to their own spiel Earl, it is to stop "unscrupulous" people approaching bidders with spurious offers. Which translates as:

"We don't want you selling anything off eBay to any of our bidders. We want all the commission"
:rolleyes: :mad:

Apparently the seller can see the identities of the bidders. That was not the case in my sale.

Just the same, as far as I am concerned, if I can't see identities, I'm not entering in any bid process.

So I hope they lose volume and lose money, they have already lost mine.;) :D

Crass protectionist practice is all it is, and it will be more of a help to the scammers and eBay than to the rest of us.

Online Community indeed! Online community all wearing masks for the protection of shill bidders and eBay profits.:mad:

Joe