The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Blank dash button (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24814)

PhatWeasel 03-03-2005 10:22 AM

Blank dash button

On the right side of the steering wheel we are all familiar with the BLANK/DEFOG/HAZARD switch on our USDMs. Does anyone know what that blank switch does on non US models?

nordique14 03-03-2005 10:28 AM

Like myself, you own a L model. The button is, I think, for the alarm on the LSi models. Somebody who spent more on their car than me can chime in. :)

Matt

PhatWeasel 03-03-2005 10:31 AM

To your other right of the steering wheel. The security button is in the CRUISE/FOGLAMP/SECURITY switch panel.

n00b on demand 03-03-2005 10:53 AM

um pardon my ignorance but isnt that the left side of the steering wheel then?

PhatWeasel 03-03-2005 11:05 AM

Ok, poorly responded on my part.

I know what the blank button left of the steering wheel is. It is the security button on alarm equipped vehicles.

I don't know what the blank button right of the steering wheel is. There are no listings of it's purpose for USDMs. It's not ANTennta, POWER or ECONomy, as those are in the center console on the Euro-spec models. Any one have any ideas?

Edit: On RHD vehicles, their location with respect to the steering wheel may be different, in both cases it is the blank button that is with DeFog and Hazard.

NikFu S. 03-03-2005 11:21 AM

Press it. It doesn't move. It's just decoration.
Mine doesn't move. If yours does I don't know why.

PhatWeasel 03-03-2005 11:35 AM

If you pop out the dummy button cover, there is a button behind it. I don't know if it is wired to anything, but it would work great as an accessoriy button, maybe wire it to the TPS through a relay for power mode (can't remember who did that mod).

Edited for clarity.

n00b on demand 03-03-2005 11:42 AM

Hmm i wonder what it could be...im not sure if anyone has ever brought this up before.

PhatWeasel 03-03-2005 12:00 PM

I did an exhaustive search of the board and haven't found anything (yet). I have been searching though the lockers of the peeps who post in the Euro section for pictures of the dash board. The layout of the dash found at subaruparts.com only shows dummy(dommy) knobs for that position, but they only list parts for USA/Canada (eh?) cars. For USDM cars, the wiring harness includes ALL options, even if the car came without. I was hoping that the switch would go to some unused connector out in lala land that could be tapped into and used. You would need to get a button cover to put on it, i.e. another cruise control or something.

Anyway, my fingers are crossed. That would make for a very clean installation.

NikFu S. 03-03-2005 12:16 PM

I bet you it's just some universal thing there for anyone to play with should the need arise. :)

svxistentialist 03-03-2005 12:37 PM

I could tell you what it is, except that someone in the thread called us Euro users "peeps"

When I check out in the dictionary what "peep" is, I might respond.

:)

NikFu S. 03-03-2005 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by svxistentialist
I could tell you what it is, except that someone in the thread called us Euro users "peeps"

Those are the little marshmallow chicky things. Whoever said that must really like marshmallows.

http://www.kurlylox.com/blog/archives/peeps.jpg :D

paddlesnz 03-03-2005 01:05 PM

Re: Blank dash button

Quote:

Originally posted by PhatWeasel
On the right side of the steering wheel we are all familiar with the BLANK/DEFOG/HAZARD switch on our USDMs. Does anyone know what that blank switch does on non US models?
On early JDM models, it was blank. On later models, it was the door lock cancellation button, which had previously been on the transmission console.

PhatWeasel 03-03-2005 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by svxistentialist

Heh heh heh...short for "people".

Urban Dictionary

See definition 1.

NikFu S. 03-03-2005 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PhatWeasel

Heh heh heh...short for "people".

Urban Dictionary

See definition 1.

Then look at 3, 5, and 10 if you like soccer, or futbol, or whatever you call it over in peepland. :D :D :D