The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Mods (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   New gears and exhaust...Killer!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23701)

Thasian1 01-09-2005 11:35 AM

New gears and exhaust...Killer!!

Well i finally finished like 20 projects and got around to my svx. :D I replaced the wheel bearings up front and well...decided that maybe the gears are worn out...lol...and maybe i should replace those too! So i decided to replace them with 4.11's. Well since i had to take the exhaust out to take the diff out i also decided to replace the exhaust from the headers back. They looked like maybe in the next 10 years that i could have an exhaust leak.....so why wait replace it now. Man let me tell you how heavy that freakin tranny was doing this by myself! Can't imagine doing a awd one.
Well everything is together and i lost the diff. plug so i can't fill it with liquid until monday and get a new plug. The exhaust looks and sounds so sweet i couldn't help but redlline it like 20 times. We eliminated all three cats, made two duals into one highflow magnaflow cat, single three inch magnaflow race muffler along with a second straight through race muffler(through the area made for the rear awd) and split again for two dulas with dual square tips on each side. It looks too sweet and sounds like Ferrari f40!!! I actually had a couple guys come from the garage next door to find out what it was, they tought it was a turbo porsche or something along that lines. (and they work on turbo cars.) We are going to start putting together kits for 2wd and also awd svx's and installing them. I'll post pics tommorrow night. Can't wait to drive it monday!

justiceSVX 01-09-2005 12:14 PM

Sounds sweet. :)

mbtoloczko 01-09-2005 01:08 PM

Very similar to what I'm building. Which of the Magnaflow cats did you use, the 94047? 2" OD tubing from the manifold to the cat? How far is the cat from the manifold?

Chiketkd 01-09-2005 01:22 PM

Welcome to the 4.11/4.44 club! :cool:

-Chike

BordeauxComet 01-09-2005 08:07 PM

sound clips would be awesome!

Bxsvx 01-09-2005 11:46 PM

How did you replace the front hubs? I need to swap out my abs ring. any suggestions/steps and tools to use? anywhere I can rent it from?

SilverSpear 01-10-2005 01:49 AM

when I first installed my exhaust system without the middle cherries (only the high performance dual end mufflers), all the ground was shaking, even when i pass near cars, all their alarms go on.... then I realized I should calm the beast, so I put the cherries, and i have now like BMW M5 sound.. veeeerrrrrrrrrry niiiice

sharky512345 01-10-2005 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BordeauxComet
sound clips would be awesome!
:)

Thasian1 01-10-2005 10:35 PM

Well from the headers back it is dual 2 1/2" straight pipe then behind the (don't forget this is 2wd) Tranny it goes into a two into one 3" pipe. Then it has a magnaflow race muffler than a standard high flow which then splits into dual once again for the finisher of two dual square tips. It sounds mean. Very close to stock at idle until you get past 1100rpm then it just sounds very twin turbo porschey. Although now i have everything complete and toke it on test runs today. The heat sheild seems to rattle around 3000 to 3500rpm, otherwise than that full throttle at 25-30 mph breaks the front wheels lose into a torque steer monster. LOL. man i can't say enough about getting gears in this car, i change the whole feel of the car. The car seems to just shifter better, response is like day and night, and when you kick it down to pass or just whatever, it just plain goes!! Love it to death. Next up is the stage 2 computer, upgrading the brakes, and finishing the tunes. This car may be for sale soon, i know i know why, but i've had my sites set on a wrx. I vowed that i was getting one this summer so projects are getting finished and booted so i can go plunk so cash down for one. But you never know, i might decided to keep this and still get the wrx. Love my svx!

Thasian1 01-10-2005 10:41 PM

Hubs...

Ya i can admit if you don't have a presh those hubs are a bit of a pain. I had to use our tubing bender with some jerry rigged plates to hold the spindle and presh the race out with a pipeexpander adaptor. The hub actually pounded out with a large socket, although the bearing and seal where still attached and end up very careful grinding it down until it was easy enough to come off.

Thasian1 01-10-2005 10:42 PM

Lmao, presh......press that is.

mbtoloczko 01-11-2005 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Thasian1
Well from the headers back it is dual 2 1/2" straight pipe then behind the (don't forget this is 2wd) Tranny it goes into a two into one 3" pipe. .... The heat sheild seems to rattle around 3000 to 3500rpm, ...
Ah, your setup is similar to what I have now (vs what I'm building next). I think you'll find that the "heat shield" rattle is not from the heat shield. Its a resonance setup in the exhaust system by using a 2-into-1 y-pipe on the H-6 motor. I have the exact same problem. I've got a 2-into-1 merged y-pipe at the same location. When I first fired up the car, my buddy and I were sure that it was the resonator that we installed about 18" after the y-pipe. I changed out the resonator, and still had the exact same sound. I considered a bunch of different possibilities, and in the end, I decided that because there are equal time intervals between each cylinder firing in the H-6 layout, a resonance sets up at 3000-4000 rpm with the layout you and I have. I'm planning to dump the y-pipe and put a 2-into-1 Magnaflow cat in its place. The separate entrances into the cat should minimize the resonance.

want-a-fast-svx 01-11-2005 12:00 PM

Im not too sure thats gonna happen though unfortunately mychailo...I have 2in pipes going into a high flow magnaflow cat 2in in 2.5 out to a flowmaster. There is no resonator and it resonates like crazy right at 3000-3900 sounds horrible. This made me believe i needed a resonator. Now your saying you basically have the same thing except I have a cat and you don't and with a resonator the sound is still there? I was planning on just chopping out the cat for now until i have more money for another one because, this one was shot in aproximately 4months. However i have been throwing a 02 sensor code the whole time so i was running rich.I still can't believe it toasted the cat that quick though. Either way i was gonna chop the cat and run dual straight pipes till i fix it, might be a little louder but it can't sound any worse.

mbtoloczko 01-11-2005 12:22 PM

Well that's lousy news. Yep. I've got a resonator in there but no 2-into-1 cat. Seems that we have the same sound. I guess I'm going to have to change my game plan again. elninoalex said that he got good results by placing resonators in the primary pipes before the y-pipe/2-into-1. I may have to go with that setup afterall. At least you saved me the trouble of determining this the hard way.

want-a-fast-svx 01-12-2005 06:28 AM

i wish it werent true but i guess it saves us both in the long run....Do you think cutting the pipes will make them too short and have possible problems with my valves getting burned?