The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SVX Rear Strut - Dated 9/12/08 - 2008 looks like an SVX Part Stock-Up Year (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56225)

Geoff 12-26-2010 09:53 PM

SVX Rear Strut - Dated 9/12/08 - 2008 looks like an SVX Part Stock-Up Year

There's been this myth going around for a long time that it's not a good idea to pick up struts from SOA, since they only did one run back in 1992 or something, and they've been sitting around. I'm not sure how true this was prior to 2008, but evidently, Subaru made a bunch of parts for our cars in 2008.

The rear embossed logos that I sold to Earl were dated January 24, 2008.
See here:
http://www.lionsblade.com/svxapplique.jpg

My rear struts, just ordered, were dated September 12, 2008
See here:
http://www.lionsblade.com/strut2008.jpg

I think it's reasonably safe to say that if you've got struts that are going, if you order them now, you'll likely get a set built in 2008, and in good enough condition to bolt up. All of the struts I've installed so far have looked great. It's nice to know that someone at Fuji is still thinking of us and making new parts. :)

Just thought I'd share this with everyone.

Cheers,
Geoff

Sean486 12-26-2010 10:14 PM

Re: SVX Rear Strut - Dated 9/12/08 - 2008 looks like an SVX Part Stock-Up Year

Good to know. Thanks

Blacky 12-27-2010 06:23 AM

That's encouraging news indeed! I no longer feel like an abandoned orphan.

dennyo 12-27-2010 11:13 AM

Where did you source them from? Subaruparts.com? I believe mine has the originals but I don't know how to tell if they're not. This would be good news indeed.

Geoff 12-27-2010 02:53 PM

I just ordered them from the local Subaru dealership - They came from one of Subaru's warehouses out east. Takes a little longer to get the parts, but they're good and taken care-of. :)

dcarrb 12-28-2010 06:21 AM

Not trying to be a spoilsport (I really hope you're right), but I'd be more encouraged to see a recent date stamp or imprint directly on some SVX-specific parts, not the packaging or labels.

dcb

SVXMAN2001 12-28-2010 07:49 AM

dcb, i second your thoughts. Geoff, what makes you believe that this number correlates to a specific production date?

I recently purchased rear hood struts with a number in the same place on the packaging stating 080214....could possibly mean February 14, 2008, but who knows. THe only way for certain is to contact a dealership and have them identify that particular number.

LetItSnow 12-28-2010 07:58 AM

<sigh> Please see disclaimer in my signature.

Agreed to the same flavor - you have to find it odd that Subaru would tool up for a new batch of APPLIKAYs. Wear parts? Sure. Badgework? Skeptical Rob is skeptical. They are outside of the ten year parts obligation by 2008, the SVX is not only scarce but getting parted in droves, and ...you get the idea.

If the SVX was a bad financial decision (and it was), this is worse.

bwb3 12-28-2010 03:25 PM

Sorry but, I'm skeptical too. Subaruparts.com said not available from them. Bought from Subarupartsforyou.com. Three rear struts, all failed within a couple months. Wish I had checked for a production date on the label.
Gene

Geoff 12-28-2010 05:35 PM

Be skeptical all you like, I think we can all agree that only an idiot would believe that a company other than Subaru would gear up to make counterfeit SVX embossed logos, and go through the trouble of having them available through Subaru's dealer network. A much more reasonable explanation is that Subaru has contracted the work out, and this explains the price hike to $55+ USD.

The number on the package doesn't always correspond to the date, you're right, but on Subaru's newly made items, it seems to consistently represent date. The embossed logos even called it out.

So far, in the past two years, NONE of the dealership's customers have returned with failed rear struts - to be sure, I also had the dealership call the warehouse - they verified that these are not "old stock."

Take it or leave it. :p

kwren 12-28-2010 06:10 PM

Is it possible that the struts that fit our cars would also fit other makes, models, and years? If so, that could explain how the recently manufactured struts became a reality?
Just wondering...

Keith:cool:

Green1995SVX 12-28-2010 06:50 PM

I doubt that the struts fit anything besides our cars. Do the new struts have "SHOWA" stamped on them like the originals? That would confirm that they're being made by Showa, the original supplier.

Geoff 12-28-2010 07:16 PM

They are stamped with SHOWA right below the Subaru stamp.

LetItSnow 12-28-2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff (Post 665504)
I think we can all agree that only an idiot would believe that a company other than Subaru would gear up to make counterfeit SVX embossed logos, and go through the trouble of having them available through Subaru's dealer network.

That's very innovative, but I don't think anyone was implying that was so!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff (Post 665504)
A much more reasonable explanation is that Subaru has contracted the work out, and this explains the price hike to $55+ USD.

OK, I'm gonna go out on a limb with this one - tell me why in the world Subaru would find it rational to make (or sub out) a limited production of decals? Tell me how that makes any sort of sense?

dbarnblatt 12-28-2010 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetItSnow (Post 665514)
OK, I'm gonna go out on a limb with this one - tell me why in the world Subaru would find it rational to make (or sub out) a limited production of decals? Tell me how that makes any sort of sense?

The SVX itself never made any sense. Corporate decisions rarely make any sense!

All I can imagine is that Subaru (the decals, by the way, are a Subaru of America part and not an FHI part) inventories were getting low, an audit spit out a bunch of part numbers that needed replenishing and a slew of SVX parts were in the batch, that's all it takes.

Remember 2008 is a little over 10 years from the last production date, so parts are still made and still around. I just ordered a bunch of trim pieces and they are all new (with dates from 2006-2008). Subaruparts.com showed them as out or discontinued but the salesman threw an order out to Japan and they showed up 5 weeks later! They are wrapped in new packaging and do not appear to be old or repackaged.

It is good news about the struts!