The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OT/Music again. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7572)

Ron Mummert 12-14-2002 10:03 PM

OT/Music again.

Since OT seems to be the holiday theme....
On Friday I went into Costco for my usual healthy choice afternoon meal, a large hot dog & drink for $1.50. After inhaling this combo, I walked back into the store with no particular thing in mind. I moseyed down the CD aisle. Three disc compilation of The Mamas & the Papas - $18.00. Hmmm... I loved this group (especially Michelle, heh-heh) & have the vinyl & cassettes scattered about the house somewhere.
But I considered that I had an holiday party to attend that evening & it was raining, & the party was a good hour's drive away.
So I bought the CD package to keep me company. I walked past a Y****w Suby Baja on display at the store's exit. This has no bearing upon this thread, but maybe somebody cares.

So, after going home to shower & change clothes, I set off in the darkness & rain with my beloved '60s group compressed into shiny plastic pancakes lying on the passenger seat.
I slip disc 1 into the totally stock SVX CD with its totally stock paper speakers everywhere, & listen to the start-up silence between slaps of the wipers. Then I hear California Dreamin'. Then more.
Forgive the continued geezin', but John, Michelle, Denny & my real true love, Mama Cass, created something almost 40 odd years ago that
still enraptures me. What a sound. What a time it was. The party was fine, but I couldn't wait to get back in the car to play Disc 3 on the way back home. It was still raining. I didn't care.
I know - 40 years from now the "kids" will be saying the same things about Eminem & "What ever happened to (good) music"?, as they're transported in their propulsion modules with the music chips imbedded
in their molars blasting away the "oldies".
Oh, well - I've had a good run. Life is good.

"Words of Love" (Thanks again, Cass)- Ron.

Mr. Pockets 12-15-2002 10:53 AM

Thanks, Ron - that was a fun read. When I have my molar chips implanted, I'll make sure to listen to a little 'The Mamas & The Papas' just for you. :D

svxistentialist 12-15-2002 11:56 AM

MOR music

Ron, you are showing our age here. I do agree the Mamas and the Papas were unique, and their music has a timeless quality to it. Lot of the Carpenters' stuff and Burt Bacharach will be just as enduring.

On a more negative note, I have recently had an Eagles compilation with me on my travels, and I am less enchanted. What you get is a lot of well produced country pop, nothing much to mark it out, other than the rollercoaster success they were in their time.

Hell just thawed out again, unfortunately.:(

Joe:)

$VX 12-15-2002 12:36 PM

I think they're all right (the mamas and papas). Here are some older bands I really dig:

CCR, The Doors, Santana (old stuff), Hendrix, ... but overall CCR is my fave.

- Ca$h

LarryIII 12-15-2002 02:33 PM

Ron,

If Mama Cass had given that ham sandwich to Karen Carpeter instead of wolfing it down, they both might be with us today.

:D :D

svxistentialist 12-15-2002 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by LarryIII
Ron,

If Mama Cass had given that ham sandwich to Karen Carpeter instead of wolfing it down, they both might be with us today.

Oh, you cruel b'stard!:D

Yeah, I guess you might be right at that.

Cass Elliot, Karen Carpenter and Janis Joplin are three exceptional artists and brilliant performers. All lost to lifestyle problems.

C'est la vie.:(

Ron Mummert 12-15-2002 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by LarryIII
Ron,

Uh,oh. Does Rosie know about your dark side, Larry?

Cass Elliott's real name was Ellen Naomi Cohen. Not exactly a candidate for a ham anything. The choking story was a myth (I heard it was a chicken bone). She actually died of a massive heart attack, not related to anything recently devoured, but definately related to what she had devoured for many years. Big woman - big voice - big loss.

Ron.

PS - Joe. Did you ever get my PMs or e-mail?

svxistentialist 12-16-2002 02:48 AM

PM blues

Quote:

Originally posted by Ron Mummert

Uh,oh. Does Rosie know about your dark side, Larry?

Cass Elliott's real name was Ellen Naomi Cohen. Not exactly a candidate for a ham anything. The choking story was a myth (I heard it was a chicken bone). She actually died of a massive heart attack, not related to anything recently devoured, but definately related to what she had devoured for many years. Big woman - big voice - big loss.

Ron.

PS - Joe. Did you ever get my PMs or e-mail?

No Ron

Got no emails from forum for a long time. Wonder if my email address has been corrupted or something??

Will PM you

Joe

svxqueen 12-16-2002 08:39 AM

Ron,
I have to agree that CD is the best to listen to on road trips!!! I bought the greatest hits CD last year and I love to listen to it on long drives.

wawazat?? 12-16-2002 09:15 AM

Good call Ron!

For some reason, California Dreamin' gives me the shivvers everytime I hear it. What a great song!

Todd

wasions 12-16-2002 09:47 AM

Re: MOR music

Quote:

Originally posted by svxistentialist

On a more negative note, I have recently had an Eagles compilation with me on my travels, and I am less enchanted. What you get is a lot of well produced country pop, nothing much to mark it out, other than the rollercoaster success they were in their time.

Joe:)

I have to agree. But I loved The James Gang and Poco. Go figure. :rolleyes: :cool:

Clydesvx 12-16-2002 11:09 AM

Hey Ron!
Mama Cass also went to Forest Park High School right here in Good Old Maryland.

Aredubjay 12-16-2002 12:51 PM

Re: Re: MOR music

Quote:

Originally posted by wasions

I have to agree. But I loved The James Gang and Poco. Go figure. :rolleyes: :cool:

I still love Poco. Listen to them often. Ron, supplement your M&P with a little "Spanky" just for fun. I really need to get to work on transferring my vinyl to CD so's I can take those trips and never leave the farm (legallly, this time). Some Lovin' Spoonful would be great . . . Cash, I've got some great old CCR and Doors. I appreciated Hendrix, and loved his "mainstream" stuff (Foxy Lady, Purple Haze, All Along the Watchtower, Hey Joe) but, never got into his more obscure stuff. I still listen to Beach Boys and The Ventures, when I'm in a "surfin'" mood. I need to find some "Chad and Jeremy" -- used to love them and some Gerry and the Pacemakers. I'm also fond of a lot of the old Psychodhelic music (Can anybody say "Innagoddadavida?"), the Blues Magoos and Moby Grape . . . golly, Ron, you've put me on a sixties/seventies flashback that's making me want to go out and get Billboard's best of the perspective decades. Meanwhile, I'll burn some incense and have some peppermints. :D:D:D

If I may quote Bob Hope: "Thaaaaanks for the mem-o-reees" :D

calmone 12-16-2002 07:03 PM

one of the little things i like about the svx is the single disc cd player. i have other cars with changers in the trunk and am too f***ing lazy to ever go in and change the discs. with the svx i take my wallet with 20-30 single discs and pop what ever i am in the mood for.

Ron Mummert 12-16-2002 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Clydesvx
Hey Ron!
Mama Cass also went to Forest Park High School right here in Good Old Maryland.

Yeah, Joe - I knew she spent some time in our home state as a kid. I think her family moved to northern VA later.
How's the beast runnin'?

Ron.