The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Getting my license (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41362)

94SubieSVX 10-16-2007 09:21 PM

Getting my license

I'm scheduled to get my license in a week on Oct. 23rd @ 8am. I'm nervous as hell but confident. I'm also nervous too becuase if I don't pass the test, then that means I need to bring along a "licensed driver" with me to the pumpkincarve meet.:tard: Wish me luck:)

Tim 10-16-2007 09:26 PM

Watch out for those tricksters at the DMV. My friend had an instructor that got out of the car and asked her to pull the the car up and when she did so he told her she failed because she operated the car without a licensed driver in the passenger seat. That was pretty beat. :bash:

Manarius 10-16-2007 09:27 PM

Eh, the license test in PA was a joke - which is evident by the large amount of poor drivers.

paulmeisterpk 10-16-2007 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TE1221 (Post 501463)
Watch out for those tricksters at the DMV. My friend had an instructor that got out of the car and asked her to pull the the car up and when she did so he told her she failed because she operated the car without a licensed driver in the passenger seat. That was pretty beat. :bash:

Now that is a dirty trick! DMV tricksters FTL.

SVXyGirl 10-16-2007 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 501464)
Eh, the license test in PA was a joke - which is evident by the large amount of poor drivers.

Same goes for Maryland.:(

Hondasucks 10-16-2007 10:11 PM

I failed my behind the wheel test the first time because when I parked back at the DMV I pulled into a space on the left of the aisle instead of the right, and he marked me down becuase "If there had been someone coming the other way, you might have made them mad"...
In reality when we made it back I had a 70 out of 100 which was still passing and he didn't think I should get my license... But when I came back in a month I got a 95...

Don't fret, just stay calm, oh and wear a hat, and turn your head to look in the mirrors. I say wear a hat cuz it's easier for them to see the bill moving as you are looking at the mirrors and such.

nextse7en 10-17-2007 12:24 AM

Good advice Tom, also, make sure that when you stop behind someone you can still see the bottoms of their back tires over the hood, they trick you with little stuff like that.

-Patrick

redlightningsvx 10-17-2007 12:39 AM

also, DO NOT stop on a crosswalk. stop before the walk check for cars then creep up to the stop sign and look again before going. This is how i failed my first time I was pissed:mad: Good luck

Wikedjuggalo 10-17-2007 05:22 AM

Well I had to take mine not to long ago here in NC and well I was nervous as hell but the guy giving me the test was cool and told me exactly what to do. Here in NC if you can't do the 3 point turn around you fail. That was the hardest part. Also Smaller the car, the easier the test it :) O and don't be afraid to ask them to clarify any directions they give you for example the guy told me to Turn left at the next intersection when it was safe and legal, but technically there was one before the one he wanted me to turn at so I asked him and he clarified at the next Stop sign he meant. But good luck ! and don't get nervous :)
P.S. Check your mirrors more often then you do if you were alone :).

94SubieSVX 10-17-2007 05:33 AM

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Though I think you are talking about taking the test and going out on real roads. The "road test" I take is a little road course and I drive all around it. I don't actually go onto city streets which is nice.:)

JaySVX 10-17-2007 05:36 AM

Learn your left from your right... Some of us have a little problem with that. Pulling up to the light, "Make a left" and i turn right, next light, he's like "make a right", and i turn left, and he stares at me out of bewilderment. Then he holds up his hand and says "which hand is this", and it took me a few minutes to answer, but i got it. He said back to the DMV, I wasn't safe enough to be on the road.

svxfiles 10-17-2007 06:24 AM

Wear a white or light blue dress shirt.
Its a peaceful, non-threatening color.
Be polite, use Sir, Ma'am.
Read the drivers manual front to back several times before you take the drivers test.
Wash and clean out the interior of your test car.
Make sure you have the owners card and insurance card with you and it is up to date.
No face jewlery.
Hair away from your eyes.
Good luck!

SubaSteevo 10-17-2007 06:59 AM

Damn, I didn't realize you were that young when we met at the shore meet. I thought you were at least 18 or 19. Good luck!

94SubieSVX 10-17-2007 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubaSteevo (Post 501566)
Damn, I didn't realize you were that young when we met at the shore meet. I thought you were at least 18 or 19. Good luck!

LOL, well I should have had my license May 31st of this year, but I ended up getting my permit in April so you need the permit for at least 6 months.

I think I'm gonna be taking the road test in my sister's car though, not as sensitive as an SVX. She has a TOYota Yaris:rolleyes: It's not too bad though.

IceBlade 10-17-2007 02:35 PM

In Quebec they're aren't allowed tricking you like that.