The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Engine mount Squeaking.. ?? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59869)

James Scott 05-18-2012 01:53 PM

Engine mount Squeaking.. ??

I have a creaking sound .. when I accelerate from a stop .. turning either right or left.. FOR 2 TO 3 YEARS NOW!

No one was able to help me locate this noise here.. ? It got better after I replaced my driveshaft center bearing AND later C-clip U-joint replacements for that driveshaft.. but never went away.. seems worse lately.. again.

Could this noise be from engine mount failure??? It seems like metal against metal .. creaking .. like high-torqued bolts holding metal parts together very tightly .. loosening enough to create a metal to metal CrEaK!? :confused: :WTF:

I decided to replace the mounts out of frustration.. until I saw the price! Yikes!

HeLp!?

Thanks, Jim :D

P.S. Is there a way to specifically diagnose engine mount failure?

92snowmachine 05-18-2012 03:46 PM

Re: Engine mount Squeaking.. ??

if your engine mounts are bad then you can probably duplicate the noise if you watch your engine as someone power brakes in gear or just shifts from r to d. if it flops around your mounts are bad.

sounds to me like a bad control arm bushing making noise as the suspension travels up and down. you could hose em all down with wd40 and see if it goes away.

James Scott 05-18-2012 04:35 PM

Are you talking about the lower A-arm ("control arm) bushing"? It's not replaceable.. is it? Looks like you have to buy the whole lower arm (with bushings) .. for $290 each! :confused:

Do I have someone drive the car.. at .. what? .. about 40mph .. with me watching the engine - hood up! .. THEN HE BRAKES, WHILE I WATCH FOR ENGINE MOVEMENT.. ??? [I guess I'm more senile than I thot! :lol:]

I DO notice a clunk into gears sometimes when I start to accelerate, but then let off .. Clunks when shifting! I don't know if thats normal for me.. cuz I have the EcuTune TCU MOD unit.. . Does the constant increased pressure result in a too strong (clunk) shift .. at lower speeds/rpm's .. ??

I thot the creaking noise was maybe some tight metal parts (80+ ft-lbs) that were sliding very little.. while still held very tightly.. causing a metallic creaking sound.. ?? Like subframe to frame.. or some such high-stress-bearing components? But haven't found any such thing.. . Hmmm?

P.S. Hose .. the 4 front (lower arm) bushings .. with WD40?

P.P.S. Can the bushings be replaced? Aftermarket somehow? [Like my C-Clip U-Joints I put on the driveshaft.. ??]

aust92pearl 05-19-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Scott (Post 704660)
C-Clip U-Joints I put on the driveshaft.. ??]

what u-joints did you use ?

James Scott 05-19-2012 01:02 AM

U-Joints?

Was NOT easy.

From Canada.. search here for earlier thread about driveshaft/center bearing stuff.. . "Euro" something.. ??

PM me if you can't find. You need press, special technique to accomplish..

Subaru driveshaft NOT serviceable for U-Joints. New one ~ $500 and has to come with center bearing. This C-Clip "reman" technique costs ~ $35 x 3 = $105 for the U-Joints.. and about $95 for balancing after installations.. = ~ $200 total .. .

I can give you some tips if you do this .. I ruined the first U-Joint, attempting its installation! Oh.. You need a press, in my opinion!

P.S. Found it.. www.euro-drive.com

dannmarr 05-19-2012 10:25 AM

A drive shaft shop can weld on a new u-joint and yoke with balancing for around $300. The good thing about it, you can then grease it and service it when needed.

aust92pearl 05-19-2012 10:06 PM

thanks jim
i was just curious
more then likely i will use ones common to a car here in aust
(holden commodore or il finally put my corolla to rest and steal the fairly new (about 4 years old but only did about 40k kms ) greasable ones out of it )
and get those bits welded to drive shaft .
im not even going to bother fixing the svx shaft
il just put the servicable ones on the liberty wagon shaft for my 5 speed ;):rolleyes::D

yeah dannmarr
problem is the closest "driveshaft" shops are probably 3 hours away