The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Reading Meet (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   READING 17 date change: POLL (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63455)

svxcess 05-07-2015 06:54 AM

READING 17 date change: POLL

I get asked this question about every 3-4 years, Some want to know why we couldn't move Reading a little later into early May to have the benefit of warmer weather, both day and evening (and into the wee hours)

Seems the only complaint about this year's meet was the cold and the wind,

In 2016, the first full weekend in May is Mother's day. (May 6-8)

The third weekend (May 20-22) could conflict with college exams or graduation events.
The last weekend of the month (May 27-29) is Memorial Day weekend

FOR 2016, what is your feeling about the second weekend? May 13-15, 2016.

Just three weeks later than the current dates. If interested, voting in the above poll should be done by serious potential Reading attendees, past and present. Even if you don't want to vote, your feelings snd opinions are valued.

This poll will close after 60 days just for gauging interest. Hotel will be contacted to see if there are any conflicting events in the for this weekend; proms/weddings/ other groups.

fasteract7 05-07-2015 11:40 AM

Re: READING 17 date change: POLL

I vote Aye

Conn SVX 05-07-2015 07:13 PM

Sounds good to me,,,,:D

Sean486 05-08-2015 04:43 AM

It didn't work so well last time we moved it into May. Lots of people had issues with Finals, Graduations and Weddings as I recall.

svxcess 05-08-2015 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean486 (Post 740157)
It didn't work so well last time we moved it into May. Lots of people had issues with Finals, Graduations and Weddings as I recall.

That was a little too late far into May last time. That was at Reading XII on May 20-22, 2011
This time it would be a week earlier. Had 34 signed up and attending

Here is the Reading XII date poll and beginning posts. Although the third weekend was chosen by only a couple of votes, the solid second choice was the second weekend in May. Leaving it in April came in last.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ding+Xii+Dates

ORIGINAL Readings were first weekend in April. Then moved to third weekend in April for warmer weather. Moved to late May for warmer weather and back again. This may be the perfect balance... and only 370 days away.

wdb 05-08-2015 10:20 AM

Uh, Mother's Day.

"Mother's Day in the United States is annually held on the second Sunday of May."

http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/us/mothers-day

ddmd 05-09-2015 07:07 PM

May 13 should be warmer. Most colleges that I know of are done, including graduation, by the first week of May, so May 13 may be perfect from that standpoint. Of course, graduation parties may be planned for other May weekends.
What about April 30/ May 1st weekend? Is that not an option for some reason?

svxcess 05-09-2015 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddmd (Post 740175)

Just seemed like postponing it one week would not guarantee warmer weather. Would originally have been April 22-24.

green_eyed_lady 05-10-2015 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddmd (Post 740175)
May 13 should be warmer. Most colleges that I know of are done, including graduation, by the first week of May, so May 13 may be perfect from that standpoint. Of course, graduation parties may be planned for other May weekends.

One of our more active members is a photographer, so moving it to May pretty much counts him out. In spite of the weather, the traditional dates usually don't interfere with ANYBODY'S ANYTHING.

Just my $.02.

And as long as it's AFTER April15th, anytime is good with me. :)

svxcess 05-12-2015 11:43 AM

Less than a week into the polls, seems there is a definite direction this is headed. Anyone else with an opinion, please speak up. I might just call the hotel anyway early next week to see if there are any conflicts on those dates.

I may close the poll early if the trend continues to head in its current direction. Those that don't respond within a month probably don't have a preference.

Also need to find out what they are willing to offer us this year, in the way of rooms, based upon our performance in trying to get our blocks filled.

1986nate 05-12-2015 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_eyed_lady (Post 740180)
One of our more active members is a photographer, so moving it to May pretty much counts him out. In spite of the weather, the traditional dates usually don't interfere with ANYBODY'S ANYTHING.

Just my $.02.

And as long as it's AFTER April15th, anytime is good with me. :)

Yep, this is the same as a couple years ago. Many of the long term members have other things going on, and a majority that vote for the later date didn't show up anyway...

svxcess 05-12-2015 07:25 PM

Most of the long-term members who have been here from the beginning have, and will continue to show up regardless of the date. We went from the first weekend in April to the third weekend in April, to the third weekend in May and back again to April.

Our lowest Reading attendance rate ever was this past year. Nothing to do with laziness or apathy. If Reading is a priority, the date probably isn't a big deal. They just do a little more advance planning.

svxcess 05-13-2015 10:57 AM

UPDATE

Just spoke with the Holiday Inn a few minutes ago. They are totally booked for the first two weekends in May (8-10 and 13-15)

This is due to a couple of weddings and a few recurring events which happen every year.

We would not have had a chance even if we had decided much earlier. So I guess tradition continues and we hope for warmer weather.

HOWEVER THEY DO HAVE THE LAST WEEKEND IN APRIL AVAILABLE. THAT WOULD BE APRIL 29-MAY 1, 2016. ONE WEEK LATER.

IS IT WORTH IT ?

1986nate 05-13-2015 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 740236)
Our lowest Reading attendance rate ever was this past year. Nothing to do with laziness or apathy. If Reading is a priority, the date probably isn't a big deal. They just do a little more advance planning.

Has nothing to do with planning for photographers that are booked up in May....