The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Transmission Pan Gasket? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50378)

Green1995SVX 05-25-2009 02:59 PM

Transmission Pan Gasket?

A simple question.

I'm leaking ATF badly around my Transmission Pan. I believe that when I had the transmission serviced recently, they used an inferior quality pan gasket.

Is there a certain brand of aftermarket gasket that I should be using, or should I buy this item directly from the dealership?

Cheers,

Mike

DarknessofDeath 05-25-2009 03:08 PM

Re: Transmission Pan Gasket?

maybe they didn't tighten some of the bolts?
worth a check

Earthworm 05-25-2009 05:48 PM

I remember changing the internal transmission screen filter and a pan gasket was included. The gasket was folded up in the box with the filter. Needless to say we reused the stock gasket...that one doesn't fold.

1986nate 05-25-2009 11:41 PM

I got the screen filter/gasket kit from local advance autoparts store but bought a new OEM gasket. Comes unfolded and is actually rubber unlike the cork junk from the auto parts store.

dcarrb 05-26-2009 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 602682)
A simple question.

I'm leaking ATF badly around my Transmission Pan. I believe that when I had the transmission serviced recently, they used an inferior quality pan gasket.

In this instance, you should take it back to the guys who did the service.

dcb

DarknessofDeath 05-26-2009 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 602758)
In this instance, you should take it back to the guys who did the service and bring your gun.

dcb

fixed your post ~

Tim 05-26-2009 07:35 AM

I dont know why but some dealers like to use that red RTV stuff. I'm not a big fan of gasket maker because it can be a pain to scrape off.

Mike621 05-26-2009 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarknessofDeath (Post 602761)
fixed your post ~

Oh the irony.

DarknessofDeath 05-26-2009 08:20 AM

yeah, i know, i'm bored

NiftySVX 05-26-2009 10:23 AM

There are two gaskets listed at subaru for the 4eat. One is cork and the other is a cardboard like material. I like the cardboard like one better. Also, you have to be careful that the bolt holes in the pan don't get pulled, if they do then the bolts will be tight but the area between the bolt holes won't compress the gasket

essveeexxee 05-26-2009 12:25 PM

10 characters.

essveeexxee 06-02-2009 11:15 PM

10 characters.

YourConfused 06-03-2009 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiftySVX (Post 602810)
There are two gaskets listed at subaru for the 4eat. One is cork and the other is a cardboard like material. I like the cardboard like one better. Also, you have to be careful that the bolt holes in the pan don't get pulled, if they do then the bolts will be tight but the area between the bolt holes won't compress the gasket

ditto

I got a filter/gasket set from rock auto for just a couple of dollars (like $3) and it was the folded paper type. After leaving phone books on the gasket overnight it was flat again.
I have seen mannnnny pans with distorted bolt holes due to overtightening by some 'tard who serviced the pan in the past. Luckily some time with a ball peen hammer will fix the distorted metal and allow for a good seal on the pan again. RTV on the bolts is always a good idea too as it helps seal and keeps them from backing off.

Green1995SVX 06-03-2009 08:33 AM

I haven't looked into this any further. I've been very busy at work. I'll post an update when I have it. :)

jdmlambo 06-04-2009 06:36 PM

just finished doing a pan service on my dads svx.. did it myself in my shop. easy since im a mechanic. any pan gasket will do... ive used em all... the torque value is so low (8-10 lbs), and if its overtorqued at all....it will leak for sure.. there is also a torque sequence that should be followed, ensuring even distribution of presure on the gasket.. basically just do it again, but get it done right..