The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Engine Management (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   JDM ECU...HP Increase? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54861)

huck369 06-20-2010 06:37 AM

JDM ECU...HP Increase?

I have in my possession a JDM SVX ECU (and TCU), anyone know if it would give any gains in HP or Torque, when plugged into a USD SVX?

Sean486 06-20-2010 07:46 AM

Re: JDM ECU...HP Increase?

Where did you find that? I thought they very hard to come by.

1986nate 06-20-2010 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck369 (Post 650506)
I have in my possession a JDM SVX ECU (and TCU), anyone know if it would give any gains in HP or Torque, when plugged into a USD SVX?

I don't believe so Huck. The main difference is that the JDM won't look for anything related to the EGR since JDM motors didn't have them.

huck369 06-20-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean486 (Post 650507)
Where did you find that? I thought they very hard to come by.

A XT buddy Down under bought a JDM clip, I got a few things from him before he scrapped it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 650516)
I don't believe so Huck. The main difference is that the JDM won't look for anything related to the EGR since JDM motors didn't have them.

I was hoping for a more definite than "I don't believe so"...anybody know for sure?
Thought I might drop it into FrankenWedge(which is currently running a 95 US-ECU...)

Cam 06-20-2010 12:52 PM

Test it with your butt dyno :D

huck369 06-20-2010 12:55 PM

I may throw it in to see if I can "Feel" any difference...I don't figure it can hurt any.

longassname 06-21-2010 08:41 AM

I'll trade you a stage 1av1 for them. That will make your car faster.

huck369 06-21-2010 11:00 AM

I'll Probably take you up on that Mike...

Sean486 06-21-2010 11:13 AM

My though was that the TCU would be extremely valuable to someone looking to swap in a JDM auto transmission. Especially since they are available and cheap. But even better would be to have someone reverse engineer it then offer it as an TCU upgrade option on their website. (hint, hint LAN) :lol:

Not sure if such a thing is possible, but I can hope!

b3lha 06-24-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck369 (Post 650506)

Do you know what year they are from?

The JDM ECU maps are different to USDM, they are optimised for higher octane fuel. Like Nate said, no EGR. I've run a JDM car on a UK ECU which is similar to maps and didn't notice any performance difference.

The TCU won't work properly with a USDM gearbox.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean486 (Post 650646)
even better would be to have someone reverse engineer it

Already been done.

TomsSVX 06-24-2010 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b3lha (Post 650913)
Do you know what year they are from?

The JDM ECU maps are different to USDM, they are optimised for higher octane fuel. Like Nate said, no EGR. I've run a JDM car on a UK ECU which is similar to maps and didn't notice any performance difference.

The TCU won't work properly with a USDM gearbox.

Already been done.

JDM TCU hardware is different as well.... Needs to interpret the speed sensor signals properly. Even with JDM firmware the US TCU will not take into account the proper speed from the #1 sensor to match the #2

Tom

huck369 06-24-2010 07:02 PM

I don't recall, and Michael has them now, he might be able to cross reference the numbers to find out.

b3lha 06-25-2010 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 650918)
JDM TCU hardware is different as well.... Needs to interpret the speed sensor signals properly. Even with JDM firmware the US TCU will not take into account the proper speed from the #1 sensor to match the #2

Tom

Are you sure you're not confusing it with the Euro/Aussie TCU? JDM and USDM use the same speed sensor arrangement.

I've inspected the hardware of JDM, USDM and Euro/Aussie TCUs. The JDM and USDM are almost identical. The only difference is a couple of extra components on the USDM (presumably to handle the atmospheric pressure signal).

I built some custom TCUs for Ron based on JDM firmware running on USDM hardware and they work very well.

The Euro/Aussie unit is very different. They use the different speed sensor arrangement and don't work properly with JDM/USDM firmware.

TomsSVX 06-25-2010 04:45 AM

Positive... Even with the JDM firmware loaded into the US TCU of mine, the forward speed sensor was not reading the same as the rear

Tom

longassname 06-26-2010 07:48 AM

I got the JDM ECU and TCU from Huck. They look to be 94 JDM units matching what Phil already has on his website.