The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Internet Radio - Do you use it? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41308)

JaySVX 10-15-2007 09:21 AM

Internet Radio - Do you use it?

I frequently listen to internet radio when I'm at work, as traveling with my mp3 collection isn't exactly "ideal".

I periodically get called away from my desk, or the phone rings, etc. always when there's a good song on. Well, as with normal radio, you can't "pause" it and come back later. Nor can you skip tracks, rewind, etc. I was just not happy with that, and began seeking out alternatives.

Finding none really, and coming across a script that would allow me to load my music via a web page, I decided to put it on one of my web servers, along with a bit of my music. As it turned out, it works great, so I thought I'd share it with all of you.

http://www.wemeanmusic.net/

Current count: over 11,000 songs with a total play time of 32 days, 18 hours, and 6 minutes. I'd gladly take any requests that people would like to see added, as well. I've managed to get album art for many of the cd's, but not all.

To utilize it, you'll need either windows media player, itunes, or winamp, which should cover most computers.

First, create a login. There's no email activation required, but it's handy in the event that I need to get in contact with people.

Second, log in. Towards the bottom right you'll see play list control. Click new to create a new play list.

Third, browse some songs. Ones that you want added to the play list, click the check box. Once you've selected the songs you want to add, click "add" at the bottom.

When your ready to listen to the play list you created, click the "play" button at the bottom by playlist control.

You can also click individual songs to listen to them individually if your not sure if it's the song you want, or you want to just hear that song.

Once you've added a few songs, you can click the "edit" button by the playlist to see what you've added. You can also select the sort, and even randomize up towards the top.

You can listen to individual albums without creating a play list for them by clicking "Album" under "Play Control:" at the bottom.

You can create as many play lists as you want, for different music selections that you may be in the mood for.

Most of the music is 80's and 90's hits, with a bit of the 60's and 70's.

Play around with it, there's a ton of features, such as popular hits, latest streams, sort by genre, newest additions, and searching.

Evil One 10-15-2007 10:04 AM

I listen to the local station out of Hartford Ct online... WCCC 106.9
Its an independent station that plays a good variety and doesnt have a rotating playlist.

Jim

It's Just Eric 10-15-2007 12:00 PM

another intresting internet music thing is Pandora radio. Basicly, it classifies alot of somgs, not by artit, album, or even genre...but my the elements that make that song. you basicly pick a song (or artist) that you like, and it creates a playlist that has music with similar elements. Sometimes it comes out with some out of place songs, but it has options to skip songs, and to not play similar songs. Afer about 10 songs worth of fine tuning, it's prettymuch ready to play songs yu like all day from all sorts of genres, artists, ect.

SubaSteevo 10-15-2007 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's Just Eric (Post 500778)
another intresting internet music thing is Pandora radio. Basicly, it classifies alot of somgs, not by artit, album, or even genre...but my the elements that make that song. you basicly pick a song (or artist) that you like, and it creates a playlist that has music with similar elements. Sometimes it comes out with some out of place songs, but it has options to skip songs, and to not play similar songs. Afer about 10 songs worth of fine tuning, it's prettymuch ready to play songs yu like all day from all sorts of genres, artists, ect.

Sweet site Eric!

Here's one for you http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rvirga/TypingTutor.html :p

It's Just Eric 10-15-2007 03:53 PM

lol, if only you saw the massve amounts of red lines firefox likes to put on the screen to tell me I suck at spelling.:rolleyes::tard:

Oh, what's cool about pandora is it'll REALLY help expand your music list. I ocasionally put it on, listen for a band I like, and download a few samples of their music. This thread actually made me fire it back up again, update my limewire, and d/l like 40 more songs. They came up with some cool stuff when I plugged in the 69 eyes...alot of old punk bands and cool modern goth stuff

Hocrest 10-15-2007 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's Just Eric (Post 500778)

+1 for Pandora, just go there and let it play.

Sorry Jay, your site is very cool, but it's just easier to go to Pandora and not have to pick things.