The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   CA Spec ECU??? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52218)

pearlm30 11-05-2009 06:46 PM

CA Spec ECU???

I just swap out the drivetrain(92 engine/trans to 94 body). The 94 is California emission spec(sticker under hood and original engine got EGR temp sensor)
Now I have engine check light, code 55(EGR temp sensor). Can I swap the ECU to solve the problem or I have to swap out the wiring and EGR temp sensor to the 92 engine?
Thanks for the help!

yt 11-05-2009 07:04 PM

Re: CA Spec ECU???

swap the ECU for a non- CA 92

Tom

K_Dub 11-05-2009 07:18 PM

Stupid CA emmissions stuff...

Sorry if this is a hijack, but what are the differences in CA cars, and can a CA motor be modded to a 49 stater? Would it be worth it? I know my buddy's '84 BRAT has the worst "CA only" Hitachi carb setup on the planet, and he's looking to retrofit a webber in it's place. I wasn't aware that there were differences in the SVX, but now you've got me curious.

yt 11-05-2009 07:20 PM

that is the only difference that I know of... It was an OBD requirement to make sure the EGR valve was working is all

Tom

pearlm30 11-05-2009 07:29 PM

Thanks for quick reply, I will swap the ECU and report back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yt (Post 624291)
swap the ECU for a non- CA 92

Tom

SoCal LS-L 11-05-2009 09:25 PM

Gee, maybe this would be easier than yanking my intake manifold and clearing the entire EGR passage lol

If the ECU doesnt know about it, then is the EGR passage really clogged?? :lol:

Maybe my eternal code 56 can be rectified by swapping in a Federal ECU? Can I expect a little more performance out of the car with a non-CA ECU ??

(sorry to hijack, need to know)

yt 11-06-2009 04:55 AM

56 is still coded in the Non-CA ECU. 55 for the temp sensor is not

Tom

SoCal LS-L 11-06-2009 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yt (Post 624345)
56 is still coded in the Non-CA ECU. 55 for the temp sensor is not

Tom

If I heard correctly, the federal 92's did not come with EGR temp sensors at all..... if thats true, how then can the federal ECU detect a problem with EGR flow with no temp sensor inline to detect it? This is important for me as I would just love an ECU that doesnt kick on my MIL for the &$^%$# code 56, and will it possibly give me a better timing map since its non-CA emissions??

I know of one parts car locally, and im watching the wrecking yards like a hawk. If I could get this benefit from the federal ECU, I will pounce on it when I get the chance. What do you think?

yt 11-06-2009 03:21 PM

I am still unsure as to how the ECU determines it. harvey had a point about monitoring the airflow input per AFR output from the 02's which over time if they were not within spec would throw the code.

Tom

SoCal LS-L 11-06-2009 04:13 PM

Ok, I guess if I can find an ECU its worth a shot. Local temperatures are dropping, so i cant yank my intake to do it the right way until I secure another garage up here. Im still interested if Subaru changed timing or other stuff in CA emissions ECU's though, that might be appealing enough to pick up a fed ECU anyways.

yt 11-06-2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L (Post 624392)
Ok, I guess if I can find an ECU its worth a shot. Local temperatures are dropping, so i cant yank my intake to do it the right way until I secure another garage up here. Im still interested if Subaru changed timing or other stuff in CA emissions ECU's though, that might be appealing enough to pick up a fed ECU anyways.

I do not believe there was any ignition or fuel map changes, just the coding for the temp sensor

Tom

SoCal LS-L 11-06-2009 05:54 PM

Damn, I was hoping you would say I would get 15 more BHP with a fed ECU. Oh well, ill just have to put up with the MIL for now..... unfortunately its like a splinter in my eyeball every time I drive..... im too much of a perfectionist to be content with that thing on, and I KNOW other people see it :lol: I guess im just OCD about it. Thanks for the info.

K_Dub 11-06-2009 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L (Post 624399)
Damn, I was hoping you would say I would get 15 more BHP with a fed ECU.

I figured something along those lines too judging by this state's track record. I'm also glad this wouldn't effect LAN's chip for obvious reasons, but I'll never understand California's egr-bs in my lifetime, and I've accepted that.

pearlm30 11-11-2009 04:00 AM

I swaped the both ECU and TCU, drove it for over 30 miles, no CEL so far. I think its all good now.
Thanks