The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Removal question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36275)

Ron Mummert 11-26-2006 09:59 PM

Removal question

Without going through the details as to WHY, can anyone help with the following:
1. Removing the center console. What's holding the front part of the plastic to the adjacent piece in front of the shifter? I've wiggled, pulled in every direction, but can't see what's holding this piece in place. Clips? Screws?
2. Back seat - butt portion. Pull? Pry? Dynamite?

Any secrets welcome.

Thanks, Ron.

Budfreak 11-26-2006 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Mummert
Without going through the details as to WHY, can anyone help with the following:
1. Removing the center console. What's holding the front part of the plastic to the adjacent piece in front of the shifter? I've wiggled, pulled in every direction, but can't see what's holding this piece in place. Clips? Screws?
2. Back seat - butt portion. Pull? Pry? Dynamite?

Any secrets welcome.

Thanks, Ron.

Hey Ron,

The backseat has 2 little releases, One on each side that you pull out on and pick up on the seat at the same time when you do. they are little black plastic pieces located right under the edge of the seat. The center console has 1 screw on each side around the area where the console meets the dash and they are covered with plastic trim pieces. The trim just pulls off and is held in with plastic clips. the trim pieces lead from the center console to under the dash on both sides(where the carpet meets the center console and dash basically is the trim piece I mean).

svxcess 11-26-2006 10:52 PM

And don't forget the screws that hold the console to the transmission tunnel. Inside the console box itself, under the felt mat in the bottom.

Ron Mummert 11-27-2006 10:25 AM

Thanks, John - that was the easy part.

Ron.

Ron Mummert 11-27-2006 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budfreak
Hey Ron,

The backseat has 2 little releases, One on each side that you pull out on and pick up on the seat at the same time when you do. they are little black plastic pieces located right under the edge of the seat. The center console has 1 screw on each side around the area where the console meets the dash and they are covered with plastic trim pieces. The trim just pulls off and is held in with plastic clips. the trim pieces lead from the center console to under the dash on both sides(where the carpet meets the center console and dash basically is the trim piece I mean).

Thanks, Bud - I saw the tabs, pulled, but I guess not hard enough. I'll drink more wine this time. On the console, I peeled back the gray trim, but still didn't see any screwheads. I'll try stronger reading glasses.

Thanks again - Ron.

Trevor 11-27-2006 05:09 PM

Quote:

Thanks, Bud - I saw the tabs, pulled, but I guess not hard enough. I'll drink more wine this time. On the console, I peeled back the gray trim, but still didn't see any screwheads. I'll try stronger reading glasses.

Thanks again - Ron.

Don't panic Ron. These things are termed INVISIBLE fastenings. Esthetics and style rule out the practical these days. Bring back the days when screws looked acceptable. Should I say screw the girly design bods?:confused: :D

Budfreak 11-27-2006 05:36 PM

Quote:

Thanks again - Ron.

Ron,
stick your fingers between the trim piece and the carpet right where the dash meets the center console and pull. Repeat on the other side of the console. There will be one screw to remove on each side. You'll also want to pull off the little panel under the ebrake handle and remove the woodgrain from around the shifter(they both just pull off). Good luck with it.;)

Ron Mummert 11-27-2006 08:22 PM

:mad:

I may as well go into the "why" of my inquiries.

The semi-short version of "The Thanksgiving Day Massacre".

My beloved had an underwater encounter with the Atlantic Ocean while I feasted on turkey in Margate, NJ. Yes, it was parked on a side street overnight, while the big nor'easter blew in, & flooded the road up to mid-centercap. It sat it this swamp for a day while I sulked through the turkey, then drank enough wine to muster the courage to wade through the 50 degree water in the darkness, & enter the cabin. It started....

(Just got a call from John (SVXcess) - he's coming by to help me tinker with the poor soaked beast tomorow:o

Anyway, it started up just fine, & idled forward to the slant of the driveway I was aiming for. In front of me parked on the driveway was a BRAND NEW Land Rover. I hit the brakes. Zero, ziltch, nada. Altheimers kicked in & before I could think "emergency brake", I hit the mighty Rover at the incredible speed of 1.5 mph. This was enough the render the waterfall grill, a piece of fender, & the front of the hood as no longer mint.

More sulking followed. The Rover wasn't even scratched.

In the morning, after gradually getting the brakes to kick in, I drove around to be sure I could make the 3-4 hour drive home. We made it.

Now began the quest to dry things up. There are some goofy electrical anomolies now present, & I'll save the description of these for later. Right now I'm running a dehumidifier full blast inside the cabin; this after a lot of sponging & wiping yesterday. If the electrical gremlins persist, I'll no doubt be back begging for mercy.

Ron:(

svxcess 11-27-2006 08:35 PM

As Ron implied, wire connections submerged in salt water probably create havoc with everything. Electrical connectors that run under the floor/carpet area probably have electrical plug-in connectors that are not waterproof. I am sure that water has caused many circuits to short and fuses to blow.

Tomorrow we will check all of the fuses under the dash to see what circuits are inoperative and go from there.

Trevor 11-27-2006 09:48 PM

Ron,

If it has not fully dried out, get in there and sluice everything again with fresh water and don't spare the water, and only then dry things out. You have to get rid of SALT. Water is not that much of a problem, it will evaporate.

So sorry, such bad luck. Chin up, Trevor.

Budfreak 11-27-2006 09:51 PM

Sorry to hear that Ron.:( I agree with Trevor that you need to get the salt out and removing the carpet and seats so you can get to all the connections and clean them up probally wouldn't be a bad idea either. Good luck Ron and let me know whatever parts you need and I'll find them if I don't already have them.:)

ensteele 11-27-2006 10:16 PM

Ron - you didn't mention whether or not you had your snorkel with you. That should have helped if you did. Sorry to hear about your swim. :o

Trevor 11-27-2006 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
Ron - you didn't mention whether or not you had your snorkel with you. That should have helped if you did. Sorry to hear about your swim. :o

Give a fellow old bugger a break/brake. :p

Ron Mummert 11-27-2006 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor
Ron,

If it has not fully dried out, get in there and sluice everything again with fresh water and don't spare the water, and only then dry things out. You have to get rid of SALT. Water is not that much of a problem, it will evaporate.

So sorry, such bad luck. Chin up, Trevor.

There's what seems to be an ABS relay box under the passenger seat. Should I really soak this thing in fresh water, & then let it dry? Thanks for the tip old Kiwi fart!

Ron.

Ron Mummert 11-27-2006 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budfreak
Sorry to hear that Ron.:( I agree with Trevor that you need to get the salt out and removing the carpet and seats so you can get to all the connections and clean them up probally wouldn't be a bad idea either. Good luck Ron and let me know whatever parts you need and I'll find them if I don't already have them.:)

I'll definately be looking for a pristine waterfall grill. Tomorrow I'm dropping by my favorite autobody shop for an estimate. Let's see what the damage costs "by the book", & then let's see what I can scrounge "reasonably" from the community hearin. Thanks again.:)

Ron.