The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   AWD (rears) inop question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12397)

scottsubarus 08-03-2003 04:42 PM

AWD (rears) inop question

Just realized that only the fronts are turning:( The Transmission in the car had been replaced with a Subaru Reman unit....not sure when. My question is, can a disconnected ABS system also cause my AWD not tot work???? I have checked for trouble codes and there are none. The shop manual indicates the ABS has some control of AWD....anybody?????

Scott
Omaha

oab_au 08-03-2003 05:33 PM

Re: AWD (rears) inop question

Quote:

Originally posted by scottsubarus
Just realized that only the fronts are turning:( The Transmission in the car had been replaced with a Subaru Reman unit....not sure when. My question is, can a disconnected ABS system also cause my AWD not tot work???? I have checked for trouble codes and there are none. The shop manual indicates the ABS has some control of AWD....anybody?????

Scott
Omaha

Hi Scott, the brakes do send a signal to the TCU, but it would not cause it to disengage. If the rear wheels have no drive at all, then either the fuse is in :rolleyes: or the C solenoid has broken its return spring to jam the solenoid. The second is the most likely and can be fixed with the trans in place, just removing the back end. Replace the solenoid and clutch plates, wont cost too much :)

Harvey.;)

scottsubarus 08-03-2003 05:52 PM

Thanks for the reply. The solenoid is what I figured it was. I just wasnt sure how much control the brakes have as a possible place to start diagnosing the problem.

Thanks again,
Scott

scottsubarus 08-15-2003 07:03 PM

Ended up being the "drum" that is welded onto the output shaft that runs the gears that turn the shaft to the rear wheels. Lucky for me I work for a transmission remanufacturer, as the part that broke isn't avail anymore from subaru. We had a SVX case that had a bad front diffo, so I just bought the back half (transfer case) and used those parts. All works fine now.

Scott
Omaha

oab_au 08-16-2003 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by scottsubarus
Ended up being the "drum" that is welded onto the output shaft that runs the gears that turn the shaft to the rear wheels. Lucky for me I work for a transmission remanufacturer, as the part that broke isn't avail anymore from subaru. We had a SVX case that had a bad front diffo, so I just bought the back half (transfer case) and used those parts. All works fine now.

Scott
Omaha

Gid'ay Scott. That would be the second one, to have broken the clutch drum off the transfer gear, that I have heard of. I think Immortal_Suby broke one a while ago.

Harvey.;)